Sign in with
Your question
Solved

De-stilled water or Coolant..?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 5, 2010 5:35:09 AM

Hi everybody,

Just a quick question.. Do I have to fill my loop with de-stilled water the first time? or just fill the system with non-conductive coolant..
I heard that people common use de-stilled water for testing against leaks for about 12 hours?
If it is so, I'm considering buying the Feser One F1 Cooling Fluid - UV Acid Green (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/feonef1coflu7.html).

More about : stilled water coolant

September 5, 2010 6:00:08 AM

All that stuff gunks up loops pretty quick. Best to use distilled water and a silver killcoil. At the most you can use some anti microbial additive like hydrx or ptnuke.

Besides, the non-conductive stuff is no more safe then distilled water. Both will become conductive once contaminated. So if it spills, it'll hit dust and stuff, then boom it's now conductive. Or at least capacitive.

I've been using plain old distilled with a splash of Hydrx, but i plan to just use distilled next cleaning since i want the liquid to be clear. That and distilled water is about as pure as it gets, so your loop will stay clean for a long time. BUT you must have some kind of anti-microbial substance, like silver, special tubing, etc in the loop. The Primochill tubing i use is anti-microbial, and so is the Silver compression fittings i have on my cpu block from Bitspower.

If you're set on the special coolants, then you i'd suggest checking for leaks with distilled water. Mainly because it's cheap, so if it leaks you're not draining expensive coolant. Just keep in mind, upkeep with those special coolants will be higher, since your waterblocks will have to be taken apart and scrubbed of buildup.

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 3:05:13 AM

Feser one does gunk up and I have used it. You heared it from two people now so thats out of question :) 

Use distilled water but you do not need an anti-microbal additive or silver. Thats just the general advice people have been giving one another but very few people actually questioned it. Truth is algae is not present inside bottled water thus you don't ever see it growing in bottles on grocery shelves nor is there any nutrients for algae to consume in distilled water. Putting it inside your computer won't magically give it algae. Thats if you have been actually using distilled water.

Many people use tap water(do not use tap water, distilled is like $1 a gallon). Well not intentionally use tap water but many many people use it to rinse out equiptment before filling with distilled water. Now bottled water is free of algae but can you say the same for your tap water? That really depends on how old your pipes are. I just use cheap distilled water to rinse out my stuff. Not only is there no algae but no mineral deposites either.

So thats how people get algae inside a radiator. If you are clean, you won't have any of that.

I don't recommend dyes. Since all dyes can bleed into plastic and stain it forever. Rather UV reactive tubing gives a much longer UV reactive effect and doesn't require adding anything so you can't stain your motherboard or tubing.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 324 K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 2:08:20 PM

Add my input as well...only distilled with killcoils or PTNuke. If you want UV, get UV tubing...most manufacturers offer it now.
September 7, 2010 10:51:01 PM

Best answer selected by jrmspc22.
!