Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1250 Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 17, 2009 7:12:16 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: March 1st

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Gaming, Some more gaming, Surfing internet, Music, Movies

BUDGET: $1250

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor already have a 24" 1920 x 1080, mouse and keyboard
I do need Vista though, I was thinking Home Premium 64-bit for system builders $99

WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

BRAND PREFERENCES: no preference, but reliable and well known

OVERCLOCKING: edit: Yes, still nervous doing it though

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 24"

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have posted before on an i7 build and a AM3 build, but the more and more I look at builds on here I get more and more lost. Basically a $1250 gaming pc is what I want. Not a fanboy towards anything so open to all suggestions! Thanks!

More about : 1250 gaming build

February 17, 2009 7:14:55 PM

Not a Mabye, you gonna build a good quality computer 99% of people will oc there components,

i have many threads of builds below $1200, just have to find em :) 
February 17, 2009 7:22:33 PM

fullmetall said:
Not a Mabye, you gonna build a good quality computer 99% of people will oc there components,

i have many threads of builds below $1200, just have to find em :) 


Thanks for the fast reply. I am a little intimidated by overclocking and all that being as this will be my first build. I am just paranoid I will change a setting and the computer will just crash haha. And I am not gonna lie I have probably read most of the builds on here. I am still confused on the cpu I should go with and the chipset. It will be for gaming, so is dual core, say E8400, a good choice? I am just nervous that with the release of Windows 7 coming and that one day games will utilize more cores. I just want to make a good investment because $1250 is a pretty good chunk of money especially when your 19 and in college!! :cry: 
Related resources
February 17, 2009 7:28:07 PM

Im 19 aswell, doing computer science for 4 years, but, before that i learned computer maintenance at school and from my uncle since i was younger. E8400 is probably the best Dual core out there, Windows 7 wont come out till 2010 for selling in stores as of hearing. So getting a dual now, keeping it for a year, and then upgrading, don't see a problem unless by that time you want to upgrade to a i7, then things change. E8400 is a money saver for gaming, stocking in at 333mhz at x9 multiplier, you could easily oc it to 400mhz for over 3.4ghz, getting this should save you an extra $250 since you have your monitor already, lucky you :D 
February 17, 2009 7:29:47 PM

sapphire 1gb 4870 + this cpu is an awesome gaming computer waiting to hatch, then comes i7 during the double digit years.
February 17, 2009 7:33:52 PM

Fullmetal thanks for such fast replies haha. Yea being 19 is tough haha but its definitely worth it.

So the E8400 is sounding like a good option.

As for the gpu, with my resolution should I shell out some extra cash and get the 4870x2, or get the 1gb 4870 and possibly crossfire later down the road?? I would love to run all games on max settings if possible.
a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 7:34:07 PM

Toms has a january system build for $1250

They used a C2Q and a 4870 x2

You could also use a Pll 940 and a 790 series chipset mobo and maybe save a bit .

a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 7:36:35 PM

Considering that monitor, I suggest you get a system with a single but good video card and with the ability to add a second one later. Try it with one card, and then decide if you need more GPU power.

The best way to do that these days IMO is with something like GA-EP45-UD3P.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3508
That's $115.

Since that is a Crossfire board, you need a decent Crossfire card. I suggest the HD 4870 1GB. That's around $215.

You need a PSU with 4 PCI-E connectors and at least 650W. Here's an excellent one:
PC Power & Cooling 750W $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

You also need a largish case with good cooling. Preferably no lights to interfere when watching movies.
RC-690 $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

So far it's $510.

You also need at least one fast HDD, a burner and RAM.
WD6401AALS $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
SH-S223F $25
G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800 $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Add Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM. $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

$770 so far. Now pick the best LGA775 CPU you can afford. If you can get a quad like Q9650 ($340) or Q9550 ($280), go for it. If you can only get a dual-core E8500, it will be just as good in most games. These days there are only two games that really require a quad CPU (Flight Simulator X and GTA 4).

If you want an i7 build, get an i7 920 and an Asus P6T and 6GB of DDR3. That's a faster solution, but it won't really make a difference in games. It also costs more, so I don't recommend it often.

If you prefer an AMD build, try a Phenom II 940 ($229) and a GA-MA790X-UD4 ($115), for example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381
February 17, 2009 7:38:38 PM

Thanks for the reply Outlander. Yea I saw that but see this is where it gets confusing. Was that build mainly for gaming or just an all around $1250 build? Because I would try to utilize my cash to make it the best gamer, not really for editing, encoding and all that.



a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 7:38:57 PM

LOL, so many new replies while I was typing the stuff above. I thought I was the first to answer :) 
February 17, 2009 7:47:42 PM

aevm said:
Considering that monitor, I suggest you get a system with a single but good video card and with the ability to add a second one later. Try it with one card, and then decide if you need more GPU power.

The best way to do that these days IMO is with something like GA-EP45-UD3P.
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3508
That's $115.

Since that is a Crossfire board, you need a decent Crossfire card. I suggest the HD 4870 1GB. That's around $215.

You need a PSU with 4 PCI-E connectors and at least 650W. Here's an excellent one:
PC Power & Cooling 750W $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

You also need a largish case with good cooling. Preferably no lights to interfere when watching movies.
RC-690 $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137

So far it's $510.

You also need at least one fast HDD, a burner and RAM.
WD6401AALS $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136319
SH-S223F $25
G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800 $55
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209

Add Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM. $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

$770 so far. Now pick the best LGA775 CPU you can afford. If you can get a quad like Q9650 ($340) or Q9550 ($280), go for it. If you can only get a dual-core E8500, it will be just as good in most games. These days there are only two games that really require a quad CPU (Flight Simulator X and GTA 4).

If you want an i7 build, get an i7 920 and an Asus P6T and 6GB of DDR3. That's a faster solution, but it won't really make a difference in games. It also costs more, so I don't recommend it often.

If you prefer an AMD build, try a Phenom II 940 ($229) and a GA-MA790X-UD4 ($115), for example.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128381



Wow haha aevm that is extremely informative!!! Thanks for that. Yea, so based on that I am definitely considering going the 775 route. Props to that post. With that build I could still go with a pretty sick quad core cpu! I still might go dual-core e8400 and save some dough. As for the case, I have just been confused with that, the one you suggested is really good, along with the antec 900 two (already painted black on the inside), CM HAF. I could go on, but yea from previous threads and this one I have a pretty good basis on a few cases just have to figure out which one looks best to me! Thanks again everyone
a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 7:50:05 PM

waynec121 said:
Thanks for the reply Outlander. Yea I saw that but see this is where it gets confusing. Was that build mainly for gaming or just an all around $1250 build? Because I would try to utilize my cash to make it the best gamer, not really for editing, encoding and all that.



they build them primarily for gaming .
The month before they used a core i7 and a 4850 X2 gfx card , but ditched it in january because the C2Q and 4870 X2 gave better frame rates .

Dont discount the Phenom option either . Pll 940 is very competitive with C2Q and might save you a few dollars .

Aevm's suggestions are all good IMO
February 17, 2009 7:56:30 PM

Outlander_04 said:
they build them primarily for gaming .
The month before they used a core i7 and a 4850 X2 gfx card , but ditched it in january because the C2Q and 4870 X2 gave better frame rates .

Dont discount the Phenom option either . Pll 940 is very competitive with C2Q and might save you a few dollars .

Aevm's suggestions are all good IMO



Hmm yea that is alot to think about. I have heard good things about the PII 940. I think I know what I will do! I will build an amd PII system and a intel 775 system on newegg and post them on here. Whenever I have alot on my mind I either write down my thoughts or type it out (haha alot more efficient). Helps out alot!

Thanks guys it seems like right after I am done replying to one person, a new post pops right up! haha
You are all very informative and accurate with what you post! Thanks again

a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 8:03:11 PM

waynec121 said:
Thanks for the reply Outlander. Yea I saw that but see this is where it gets confusing. Was that build mainly for gaming or just an all around $1250 build? Because I would try to utilize my cash to make it the best gamer, not really for editing, encoding and all that.


It really depends on where games are going. Or rather, where do YOU think they're going. If you think they will be smart enough to use 4 cores while you still use this PC, get a quad (i7 920, Q9550, Phenom II 940, whatever). If you think they won't, get an E8500.

It's very hard to predict this. Game developers are trying, that's for sure, but it's a difficult area and some simply don't have developers competent enough for it.

Look at the charts in here too:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=5

The article is a bit old, but it gives you an idea. Where they say Q9650 think Q9550 at the same clock. The default clock for the Q9550 is 2.83GHz, btw. The Phenom II 940 will be right at the top of the AMD quad charts, not quite as fast as the Q9550 but close. The i7 920 should be right at the top of the charts. Keep in mind that a lot of those numbers are for overclocked CPUs too. If you don't overclock, Intel's advantage is smaller.


February 17, 2009 8:14:35 PM

aevm said:
It really depends on where games are going. Or rather, where do YOU think they're going. If you think they will be smart enough to use 4 cores while you still use this PC, get a quad (i7 920, Q9550, Phenom II 940, whatever). If you think they won't, get an E8500.

It's very hard to predict this. Game developers are trying, that's for sure, but it's a difficult area and some simply don't have developers competent enough for it.

Look at the charts in here too:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770&p=5

The article is a bit old, but it gives you an idea. Where they say Q9650 think Q9550 at the same clock. The default clock for the Q9550 is 2.83GHz, btw. The Phenom II 940 will be right at the top of the AMD quad charts, not quite as fast as the Q9550 but close. The i7 920 should be right at the top of the charts. Keep in mind that a lot of those numbers are for overclocked CPUs too. If you don't overclock, Intel's advantage is smaller.



Thanks again for the reply. I am on newegg rite now putting together the build. I will post it in a few minutes based on everyones input! After I post it feel free to comment about changes. Oh and is there an easier way to post the newegg cart rather than typing it out?
February 17, 2009 8:15:28 PM

Im gna pay close attention to this thread.....this guy is in exactly the same boat as me, except I dont really want to go dual core
February 17, 2009 8:23:07 PM

Random0808 said:
Im gna pay close attention to this thread.....this guy is in exactly the same boat as me, except I dont really want to go dual core



Haha yea man I am about to post my build in the newegg cart. I am gonna have to say that I am very impressed with what is in my cart at the moment. It is pretty much spot on the price!! Just give me like 2 min because I am trying to decide on a case and a cooler.

That brings me to my last ?, what cpu cooler should I get for the socket 775?
February 17, 2009 8:40:03 PM

Random0808 said:
hey dude the shopping cart doesnt work....and im not all that up with parts today, but i think the Xigmatek Dark Knight is a good cooler...or if you have money a coolermaster V8 (i want one of those!!)

Dark Knight >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CM V8 >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



Yea I figured that the link would not work haha. I will type it out, oh and I found a good cooler on newegg. I just made sure it supported 775 then I just looked for the one with the best rating.
Thanks for the suggestion tho!

K so everyone get excited! I am typing it out rite after I post this!
February 17, 2009 8:42:08 PM

Oh ok....nice one

no problem btw

looking forward to what you have
February 17, 2009 8:57:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

One of the best 775 coolers will fit in something like and Antec 900, but I would suggest something like the CM HAF. I have an Antec 900, and it's acutally a little too loud for being in my room/on while sleeping, not to mention the blue LED's, the HAF has one red led, and 230mm fans which will be much quieter and most likely better airflow aswell. I also find the Antec 9-- somewhat cramped with a 11" card like the GTX260 or cramped with dual 8800GT's still kinda cramped.
February 17, 2009 9:00:07 PM

BUILD:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 9550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P 775
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GPU: SAPPHIRE 1GB HD 4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

RAM: G.SKILL PI BLACK 4GB (2 X 2GB)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CD/DVD DRIVE: LG BLACK 22X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CASE: NZXT Tempest
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU PASTE: Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU COOLER: XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

OS: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64BIT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

KEYBOARD: Saitek Black Eclipse Wired Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOUSE: Logitech G5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Okay, that should be everything! The total came out to be $1,240 USD. So I actually saved some cash and added a new keyboard and mouse. Sweet, thanks everyone!

edit: I will update this post since it is pretty much the final build! Thanks
a b 4 Gaming
February 17, 2009 9:04:22 PM

The build looks great! The only thing I'd change is the cooler. The Freezer 7 Pro isn't that great for overclocking quad cores. I'd spend an extra $3 and get this:

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $39.99

It even includes the backplate for that price.

This is nit-picking, but I'd also swap the thermal paste for MX-2. MX-2 cools just as well, isn't conductive, and doesn't require a cure time.

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $6.99
February 17, 2009 9:14:35 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The build looks great! The only thing I'd change is the cooler. The Freezer 7 Pro isn't that great for overclocking quad cores. I'd spend an extra $3 and get this:

XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $39.99

It even includes the backplate for that price.

This is nit-picking, but I'd also swap the thermal paste for MX-2. MX-2 cools just as well, isn't conductive, and doesn't require a cure time.

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $6.99



Thanks for the suggestion, I changed the post above you as it is easier!
February 17, 2009 9:18:17 PM

Oh, and dare I say it but I will probably be getting the z5500s a little after I am done with this build. I think this beast will need a sick sound system to go along! : )
February 17, 2009 10:06:27 PM

bump... any more suggestions for the final list above ^
February 17, 2009 10:29:31 PM

That build looks sick dude, kinda like what I'm considering (minus the keyboard, mouse and case) except I'm going for a Phenom II X4 940 build

Excellent choices tho (im not one to judge cz its not like i know all that much about this stuff) but yeah, i like you're choices

:) 
February 18, 2009 12:11:54 AM

Random0808 said:
That build looks sick dude, kinda like what I'm considering (minus the keyboard, mouse and case) except I'm going for a Phenom II X4 940 build

Excellent choices tho (im not one to judge cz its not like i know all that much about this stuff) but yeah, i like you're choices

:) 



Thanks man, yea the Phenom build your thinking about is also a very good choice, can't go wrong there. The case is still a maybe, but yea it is going to be something similar to that. Stay in touch and lemme know how your build will go. I will definitely post pictures when I am done. It might be a few weeks until I get everything, pay for it, and finish building!
February 18, 2009 12:40:34 AM

Waynec, i had a setup on newegg same as the build you have going just, the case is a new antec, just came out not to long ago, nine hundred and two.

Great on the rig, go for it. Oh yea and the PSU, I dont see why yall are choosing the Red pc power cooling over the pc power silent 750w, same specs but, crossfire ceritfied hd2900tx and sli 8800gtx or below, the black pc power cooling 750w is crossfire ready, 8800gtx or below sli. Not really any difference, just, the black PC Power cooling has a better review.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only thing I am iffy about is the Railing, its a single HUGE rail. Multiple rails are enabled in alot of todays psu's due to limiting into some of the components, Overloading/Overclocking on a single rail has no limit which can cause fires because its utilized throughout the house. 750w on 1 12v rail on 60a is alot of amperage to let go. so having 4 multiple rails at 18a, sends 18a of amperage to each main station on your computer, which will be safer and is more reliable due to gaming.
a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2009 1:50:10 AM

waynec121 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, I changed the post above you as it is easier!


Very impressive build :) 

About the Z5500 speakers: I got a set myself, and they're fabulous. The only problems are that the subwoofer is huge and very heavy and there are an enormous number of wires. I spent a long time struggling to install them.



a b 4 Gaming
February 18, 2009 2:15:30 AM

fullmetall said:
Waynec, i had a setup on newegg same as the build you have going just, the case is a new antec, just came out not to long ago, nine hundred and two.

Great on the rig, go for it. Oh yea and the PSU, I dont see why yall are choosing the Red pc power cooling over the pc power silent 750w, same specs but, crossfire ceritfied hd2900tx and sli 8800gtx or below, the black pc power cooling 750w is crossfire ready, 8800gtx or below sli. Not really any difference, just, the black PC Power cooling has a better review.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Only thing I am iffy about is the Railing, its a single HUGE rail. Multiple rails are enabled in alot of todays psu's due to limiting into some of the components, Overloading/Overclocking on a single rail has no limit which can cause fires because its utilized throughout the house. 750w on 1 12v rail on 60a is alot of amperage to let go. so having 4 multiple rails at 18a, sends 18a of amperage to each main station on your computer, which will be safer and is more reliable due to gaming.


The red one has got lots of good reviews too, and lots of awards. The newer model may be just as good or better, but I'll give it a little more time to prove itself before I recommend it.
http://anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3186&p=2
Also, I have that red one and it's been working flawlessly for a year and a half so far.

The thing about one huge rail vs several smaller rails is pretty much a matter of taste. Some respected companies (Enermax, Silverstone) usually have multiple rails. Some equally respected companies (PC Power & Cooling, Corsair) usually have a single rail. There are advantages and disadvantages to each system.

If a PSU claims 18A on each of four rails, don't think that it will actually send 18A on each at the same time. It's not working that way. For example the Silverstone ST75F 750W claims 4 rails of 18A but combined only 650W. That's 54A, which means it's actually a weaker PSU than the PC P&C 750W or the Corsair 750TX which both offer 60A. You really have to be careful because marketing people have no scruples.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=17-256-009-05.jpg&Image=17-256-009-02.jpg%2c17-256-009-03.jpg%2c17-256-009-10.jpg%2c17-256-009-04.jpg%2c17-256-009-05.jpg%2c17-256-009-06.jpg%2c17-256-009-07.jpg%2c17-256-009-08.jpg%2c17-256-009-09.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16817256009&Depa=0&Description=SILVERSTONE%20ST75F%20750W%20Power%20Supply

February 18, 2009 2:49:54 AM

aevm said:
The red one has got lots of good reviews too, and lots of awards. The newer model may be just as good or better, but I'll give it a little more time to prove itself before I recommend it.
http://anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3186&p=2
Also, I have that red one and it's been working flawlessly for a year and a half so far.

The thing about one huge rail vs several smaller rails is pretty much a matter of taste. Some respected companies (Enermax, Silverstone) usually have multiple rails. Some equally respected companies (PC Power & Cooling, Corsair) usually have a single rail. There are advantages and disadvantages to each system.

If a PSU claims 18A on each of four rails, don't think that it will actually send 18A on each at the same time. It's not working that way. For example the Silverstone ST75F 750W claims 4 rails of 18A but combined only 650W. That's 54A, which means it's actually a weaker PSU than the PC P&C 750W or the Corsair 750TX which both offer 60A. You really have to be careful because marketing people have no scruples.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=17-256-009-05.jpg&Image=17-256-009-02.jpg%2c17-256-009-03.jpg%2c17-256-009-10.jpg%2c17-256-009-04.jpg%2c17-256-009-05.jpg%2c17-256-009-06.jpg%2c17-256-009-07.jpg%2c17-256-009-08.jpg%2c17-256-009-09.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16817256009&Depa=0&Description=SILVERSTONE%20ST75F%20750W%20Power%20Supply



thanks for the replies as always...my stupid dsl keeps going out so i am hoping to get fios in about a month or so to go with the build! i definitely respect all your guys posts and as aevm said he has had no problems with the psu so i will keep it! I will post once I order all the parts but it should be in a week or so if I sell some of my junk in my room collecting dust. Its kind of funny, i put a sign on my wall saying the faster i sell this junk the faster i build the pc. A little motivation goes a long way :lol:  Ill keep you guys updated though...thanks again
February 18, 2009 6:20:14 PM

bump so its easier to find for the person doing the $1300 build
February 19, 2009 1:56:57 AM

I would highly recommended NOT buying an AMD processor. When you need to upgrade, Intel will still be on top but your mobo won't be able to tun any of their processors. Also, while AMD offers much cheaper prices they really don't compare at all right now to Intel. I think you will regret it later if you buy an AMD system now.
February 19, 2009 2:08:59 AM

tallguy1618 said:
I would highly recommended NOT buying an AMD processor. When you need to upgrade, Intel will still be on top but your mobo won't be able to tun any of their processors. Also, while AMD offers much cheaper prices they really don't compare at all right now to Intel. I think you will regret it later if you buy an AMD system now.


I understand what you're saying, but the PII's are not a bad choice for anyone right now.....yes the i7's are better, but they dont totally slaughter the PII's

For someone on a tight-ish budget (like me lol), the PII's are an excellent choice....if I could get an i7 I would, but I can't afford it, and I don't think the PII's are a bad alternative at all :) 
February 19, 2009 10:57:57 AM

Random is right, PII's are a good alternative for a i7, they did make up some ground pulling this one out, runs probably about anything just in performance wise i7 still overtakes it.
a b 4 Gaming
February 19, 2009 1:42:39 PM

tallguy1618 said:
I would highly recommended NOT buying an AMD processor. When you need to upgrade, Intel will still be on top but your mobo won't be able to tun any of their processors. Also, while AMD offers much cheaper prices they really don't compare at all right now to Intel. I think you will regret it later if you buy an AMD system now.


LOL, you need to read more before you post.

Q9550 $280 (Newegg right now)
Phenom II 940 $230 (18% less)

Gaming performance:

Fallout 3, 82.8 fps for Phenom II 940, 83.7 fps for Q9550
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3492&p=18
That's 1% less performance for the Phenom. In fact performance is equal, since monitors typically show 60 fps only.

As for future upgrades, the Q9550 does not have any such thing. There will never be a socket LGA 775 CPU significantly better than the Q9550. The only upgrade you get is to Q9650, $200 or $300 in 2 years for a 6% speed improvement. It's the Phenom that may actually have an upgrade path, because future AM3 CPUs are supposed to work on AM2+ boards. OK, not all, and a BIOS upgrade would be needed, and AMD might not be around any more in two years, but still it's a better chance than you get from Intel.

February 20, 2009 12:50:11 AM

1. That's one game
2. Most games don't show much difference with the CPU anyways, only hardcore 3-4 SLI rigs at high resolutions or games bottlenecked by the CPU will show a big difference. Now show what happens with things other than gaming or a power usage/overclocking comparison and there will be a big difference.
February 21, 2009 1:06:38 PM

Hey, I am very close to having enough to get everything, but I am having one problem!! I want this case so bad after seeing it > Thermaltake Armor but the silver one not the black one. I cannot find it anywhere!!! If anyone could help me with this you would be a lifesaver! Thanks
February 21, 2009 1:54:57 PM

fullmetall said:
Thats a $328 dollar case w/an ugly little 430w psu.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this one right, deactivated case? i looked under another site called http://www.nzoczone.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=38


yea i just want the case but its pretty hard to find...the second link...is that in the US? my guess is that its in new zealand because of the nz in the site name. If its a reliable site in the US then yea ill get it otherwise I know shipping will kill me.
February 21, 2009 2:03:24 PM

hmm nevermind i seem to have found what i am looking for....
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6986/cst-660/Thermalt...
its a sweet looking case and its in stock for about $240

it does put me over budget but a good case is definitely worth it in the long run and also i am going to be looking at it everyday :o 
February 21, 2009 4:02:17 PM

i am thinking of ordering a few of the solid, not gonna change parts right now...if i want to run crossfire 4870's in the future or if i get the 4870x2 will the 750 watt psu be enough?
a b 4 Gaming
February 21, 2009 6:53:17 PM

Yes
February 21, 2009 7:20:11 PM

aevm said:
Yes


quite a solid and informative post aevm hahah :na: 
a b 4 Gaming
February 21, 2009 7:28:22 PM

OK, I can make it longer, if you prefer.

Here's what Sapphire recommends on the Newegg page:

Quote:

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode


You are looking at a PSU with 750W and 4 PCI-E connectors. It can do the job and leaves lots of room for fans and hard drives.
February 21, 2009 8:16:49 PM

aevm said:
OK, I can make it longer, if you prefer.

Here's what Sapphire recommends on the Newegg page:

Quote:

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode


You are looking at a PSU with 750W and 4 PCI-E connectors. It can do the job and leaves lots of room for fans and hard drives.


Lol you didn't have to do that man...im quite the sarcastic type. I believe you complete from just the "yes"
Thanks though its ppl like you that keeps me coming back to this forum for advice
!