What's the problem?

Mysphit

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
MOBO, RAM, or CPU?

ASUS Crosshair II Formula AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 780a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition Agena 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 140W Quad-Core Processor
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-1000MA1S 1000W ATX / BTX SLI Certified
Zalman cooler
2 x EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB w/arctic coolers run in sli
2 x 1gig Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D

Yesterday had a problem starting up, it would make it to the vista 32 load screen and just turn off. Tried starting it up a few times and it would bomb out with the lcd poster dieing at det dram. Been reading up on here and it sounds like its a ram problem so i took out the ram tried different slots and can get the system to random points sometimes all the way into windows and then it just turns off randomly. SO, the system will only stay running for random amounts of time IF i can get it past detecting the ram.

Seems some people have problems with mobo's going bad, or cpu's going bad, or ram... How do I know the likely culprit?

Should I get my hands on some new ram and see if that is the problem or is there something I can do to determine if it is something else.

It has been hot here lately and I have been putting the system under quite a load the past few nights gaming after work, and if you know the mobo, the zalman is damn close to the ram heat sinks making me think the ram is the issue.

Thoughts or comments?

Mysphit

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
When I finally made it to BIOS I did have it at 2.1.

I'm going to get my hands on some new ram. Been doing some reading of reviews on newegg and apparantly a lot of people with this ram have had issues around the 9 month to 1 year mark. I've had it about 10 months.

Fingers crossed...