Sign in with
Your question

Who wants to purchase Win7 just to swap out a mobo? not me, help

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2009 3:44:41 AM

Ok guys, some of you may not know me (i hang out with the gfx guys :sol:  ), so hi xD

So, in a stupid move by me, i happened to purchase a Compaq PC about last year. I've upgraded to a 750Watt OCZ psu and a new 4870 but of course, my beauty of a cpu (Athlon x2 4800+) is holding me back a little. However, since this is an ECS Iris8, the overclocking is locked. Also i've always wanted a crossfire setup so my best option at the moment is to upgrade to an Am2+ motherboard and with the overclock, i should be able to hold off on purchasing a Phenom II for a bit longer. But.... as most of you guys probably know, to swap motherboards people say that you need to reformat your hdd and reinstall windows. I dont have a disc =(. can you guys make any recommendations that would help me avoid shelling out 200 bucks on Bill Gates' latest 20GB of crap and is there a way around reformatting? thanks.

More about : purchase win7 swap mobo

a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2009 3:59:09 AM

You need to format period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use win7 PC free til june next year.

Buy a disc, or pirate it like everyone else.

Maybe if Americans pirate as much as china we can get affordable software also.
July 24, 2009 4:03:05 AM

well i keep seeing articles explaining how to do it without formatting, but none of them seem reliable enough to take the risk.

about using the RC : don't they not let you install it after a certain time (possibly official release)?

also i cant take the risk of RC expiring without buying the retail version, i'd be stuck on Linux (love it but not for gaming ;)  )
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2009 5:36:10 AM

Ya alot of idiots say it will work without reformatting and it will, but not without tons of issues.

You can install 7 rc anytime.

Guess you pirate or purchase. Good luck.
July 24, 2009 5:36:48 AM

okay well thanks for clearing that up for me
a b V Motherboard
July 24, 2009 3:13:54 PM

as long as you have the key you should be ok, just download the appropriate disc (without any hacks/changes)

or get Win7

...or be a pirate
July 24, 2009 3:48:20 PM

oh thats true... the key is held inside windows right? do they actually let you download the disc?
July 24, 2009 3:53:11 PM

would doing a windows repair also do the job? i see that they're giving repair discs (i guess thats what u meant)
July 24, 2009 6:01:35 PM

hmm okay i guess i could do that
!