Will Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard work with Win 7?

apaux

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P motherboard with AMD Phenom II X4 810 running Windows XP Pro 32 bit right now. I was wondering if Windows 7 will be compatible with my motherboard. I looked on the website and didn't see anything about it being compatible or if it's on the list

bilbat

Splendid
You won't have any problem with your hardware; you cannot, however, 'upgrade' from Xp; MS will publish a lengthy and annoying process that you can follow, but they don't even 'call' it an upgrade, and it can't transfer your programs - the easiest thing will be a new drive, with a fresh istall, then transfer your data, and reinstall your programs. 7's compatibilty manager is great with older programs, but if you should come across one that refuses to run, the VirtualXp is also great - I have programs working fine with it that didn't even run well on actual Xp! If I've read the pre-release stuff correctly, the retail will contain both x86 and x64 versions - I'm not sure about the 'cheapie' for netbooks - that doesn't seem to be 'gelled' yet...

apaux

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Bilbat - Ah right on. Sounds pretty promising.

Shabaa - I already did that. It said that I needed to download the GIGABYTE GBB36X Controller. I downloaded it but I can't seem to install it. when I click on the gbb36x controller file they told me to download, the program extracts like 3-5 programs. I try to open any of them but none of them work. Is there something I'm missing?

apaux

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Oh yeh, the ggb36x controller is the motherboard_driver_sata_gb_sata2raid_bootdisk_323.exe file they told me to install. they sent me to a link on cnet to get the download.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I have that motherboard but Gigabyte had no Win 7 32bit or 64bit raid driver posted when I tried out Win 7. I attempted to use the Vista 64 raid driver and it took it and installed the OS but every once in a while the system would spontaneously reboot, so I'd wait till there's official Win 7 raid drivers for the controllers. I installed XP on the same system and its been rock solid.

bilbat

Splendid
I've had Win7RC1 running on a DS5 with an ICH9R supporting 3 RAID pairs, two zeros and a one, as well as a GBB36X on AHCI; used the Vista 32 & 64 drivers (latest ones, to match the new ICH code in the newer BIOS) since the 4/30 release of RC1 on TechNet; sometimes go for weeks without rebooting (mainly on x64 - find I mostly use it) and mostly reboot for maintenance, program installs, and poking about in the BIOS to answer questions here...

Couple thoughts:

What build are you running? Obviously, as this is beta - the earliest builds had problems...

Clean install or upgraded? (people report numerous 'peculiarities' after upgrades from build to build; I did three fairly early upgrades, and never found a serious problem (did see 'beta bugs', but mostly upgrading reduced them); did a 'clean' install at the RC; will probably do another at the RTM...)

TRENDING THREADS