Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell PSU question (ANOTHER??)

Last response: in Components
May 18, 2009 4:31:35 AM

Hi all. I know I'm stupid blah blah. I bought from Dell. Please don't tell me I should have done otherwise, etc.

To the point: I have a Studio XPS 435mt. It will only support a 150 by 140 by 86 size psu. I would like to upgrade from my meager 360 watt psu to OCZ's 850 watt GamexStream PSU (which would be perfect for what I want!).

New psu:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_gamexstream_power_supply-nvidia_sli_ready_

I need to know whether or not the 435mt uses proprietary connections/if I will be okay installing this into my system.

I just worry about frying my mobo. I've been surfing the forums everywhere I can, but no clear answer has revealed itself.

If you're willing to help me, please let me know if you need more system information from me.

I look forward to receiving any response!

Thank you!

-Matt

More about : dell psu question

May 18, 2009 5:13:47 AM

That Dell does not use any proprietary connections, what is the purpose of upgrading to a 850W PSU?
m
l
May 18, 2009 5:24:47 AM

I'm wanting to install a better performing graphics card. I have a 47" 1080p television that I'd like to use for gaming. I want to have high quality and high resolution, so I'm thinking about getting a 4870x2. I know it'll be a tight fit in my case.
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2009 5:38:56 AM

I'm also kinda buying the PSU and graphics card so that once I get enough money (in a year or so) I can move them into a completely custom rig. I figured get them now since I can. At the time I bought this comp I just needed a computer really quickly and found a deal on this Dell. That OCZ PSU would be fine too though right?
m
l

Best solution

August 23, 2009 9:27:48 PM

wwarlock439 said:
Hi all. I know I'm stupid blah blah. I bought from Dell. Please don't tell me I should have done otherwise, etc.

To the point: I have a Studio XPS 435mt. It will only support a 150 by 140 by 86 size psu. I would like to upgrade from my meager 360 watt psu to OCZ's 850 watt GamexStream PSU (which would be perfect for what I want!).

New psu:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_gamexstream_power_supply-nvidia_sli_ready_

I need to know whether or not the 435mt uses proprietary connections/if I will be okay installing this into my system.

I just worry about frying my mobo. I've been surfing the forums everywhere I can, but no clear answer has revealed itself.

If you're willing to help me, please let me know if you need more system information from me.

I look forward to receiving any response!

Thank you!

-Matt

I have the same machine. Go with the Thermaltake 850 Watt TR2 RX (Black Widow Ed.). I bought this PSU for my reg at Best Buy, on sale for only $149.00. Good clean raw power with minimum heat output. You can't go wrong with Thermaltake Key 3 technology.
August 30, 2009 1:46:55 AM

deadcell said:
I have the same machine. Go with the Thermaltake 850 Watt TR2 RX (Black Widow Ed.). I bought this PSU for my reg at Best Buy, on sale for only $149.00. Good clean raw power with minimum heat output. You can't go wrong with Thermaltake Key 3 technology.

Hey Deadcell. Just wanna know before I select you as best answer: How did you modify your machine? New Graphics card, etc.? Thanks
m
l
September 8, 2009 1:31:29 AM

Hello. I modified the pants out of the 435MT. Here is my specs;
-Intel Core i7-920 Processor (8MB L3 Cache, 2.67 GHz)
-Genuine Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit OS ED.
-6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1067MHz
-500GB-7200 RPM, SATA 3.0 Gb/s, 16 MB Cache HDD
-Thermaltake-850W TR2 RX Black Widow PSU
-BFG Nvidia GeForce GTX295 1792MB DDR3 GT200x2 GPU
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi
To keep things cool, I removed the entire front panel, installed a 120mm Dynex fan with heavy modification. Than replaced the 92mm rear fan with Thermaltake LED smart fan, high setting (75-80CFM). I also left the side panel open for better venilation. The case is stripped down to its metal. They should have used a slightly bigger case for people like us who want to upgrade components. Now, the reason I went with the Thermaltake 850 is because of the GPU I installed later on. My GTX295, and yes it does fit, requires a whopping 680 watts min PSU. Also, for $149, this PSU was a steal. Best value for the money if you ask me. You shouldn't just buy components that just fits your criteria, buy better components and you can always extract them and install them in your future machines. Also, the reason I went with the GTX295 was because the MOBO in the 435MT has only 1 PCI-E x16. In order to achieve SLi capability, this was my best choice, better than replacing the MOBO. The dual card occopies just 1 PCI-E x16 and it outperforms even the 4870x2 CrossfireX. One day, I like to run quad using two of these cards. My machine is louder than before, but the performance output is well worth it. Thank you for choosing me as the best answer. Let me know what you think and comments are always welcome.
Initial cost of the machine $800, fans $25, sound card $25, PSU $150, GPU $500. Total cost after modifications $1500. Be able to play Crysis in max settings after two years, priceless...

m
l
!