Need some help, cannot enter BIOS with keyboard.

Hello all, I finally got the parts for my first ever computer build. Put it together in about two hours (I got the front panel right on my first try, my kung-foo is strong) But anyways.
First things first, my spec's.

(TL;DR at the bottom if you want to skip all this)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775 mobo

Intel Core2duo E7400 (will be overclocking later on when i get a new HSF)

4gig Mushkin RAM (2x2)

500gig Western Digital HDD (7200 RPM)

Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870 512MB

Coolermaster HAF 932 case.

PC+P 750w PSU

Here's my situation, I start it up for the first time, with my Windows Vista Business (64bit) DVD, it loads into the setup. I get free Microsoft software from school, so all i did was burn it off the MSDN website and bur a DVD. So the setup asks for the Serial Number and all that stuff, it loads the files, begins to unpack. Sits at 0% for about five minutes, then Pops up with a "0x80070017" Error. So i take the disk out, and burn a new one assuming that was the problem.

Start the system up, put the disk in, and now all i get is a "BOOTMGR is missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" I havn't entered the BIOS yet, and the hard drive is the main boot source.

That isn't quite the problem though. I've had to do this with my laptop before, and i'ts a pretty simple fix.

My problem is, I don't have a PS/2 keyboard! I'm pretty sure USB keyboards have to be enabled in the BIOS menu so they will work, but the keyboard i have is USB. I have a USB-PS/2 adapter, but it doesn't do anything. I can't press the backspace to enter the bios menu, or do basically aything.

THe one odd thing is, it will let me press F12 and enter the boot list, but i cannot arrow up or down. Now i just searched all over town (best buy, officemax, etc) and cannot find a keyboard that uses PS/2 to save my life.

So here is a TL;DR

Problem 1: Cannot enter BIOS with my keyboard, so I cannot change the boot priority.

Problem 2: For some reason, i get "Error 0x80070017" every time i used my vista disk.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about need help enter bios keyboard
  1. Well, i fixed the keyboard problem (I feel like a complete idiot but i was just so giddy to get this computer up, i was pressing backspace instead of delete x.X)

And now it seems like my vista DVD is working too.

Waste of a thread i guess =(
  2. Well, all the hardware is working fine, but i cannot connet to the internet now for some reason.

It says my drivers aren't up to date, but I updated it with the driver disk that the Mobo came with.

Anybody have some ideas?
  3. if you are using broadband, you need to use the install disk that came with the modem. Are you connected directly to the modem or wireless from a router?
  4. Solved the problem, the disk that came with the Mobo had a older driver, downloaded and burned the latest one with my laptop. Computer is on the internet and working perfect now. (Since i'm posting on it =D )

Thanks for all the help though, i'm just so happy to finally have a computer that can put out some serious power.

Will be posting pictures of the build process and the finished result shortly =D

Heck, for my first ever computer, this build turned out pretty damn good!
  5. Glad to hear it, you have a decent build. It should do very well for you.
    I love the haf, great choice of case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems