Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A70 vs h50 vs s vs hyper 212 plus vs megahalems

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2010 9:50:58 PM

So I have an i5 750 at stock with stock cooler which isn't doing a very good job at cooling my cpu.It is not that it is badly seated because I have reseatted it.The problem is my ambient temperature which often reaches 35c.I am thinking of buying the above coolers.Out of these I don't want the best performing cooler but the best silent and good performing cooler.I plan on ocing up to 3.6ghz.To sum it up I want a silent cooler with good performance and at the lowest price.If you suggest the megahalems,suggest some fans too.
Thank you for any help
a b K Overclocking
September 5, 2010 11:07:35 PM

The h50 is pretty decent if you have a push/pull, a lot of people add either the S-Flex F/G fans or the Gentle Typhoons from Scythe.

Hyper 212+ is probably the best cooler for it's price, but it's stock fan is pretty loud at max speeds.

I myself use a Scythe Mugen 2 and it's performance is probably slightly (1-2°C) better than the Hyper 212+ and it's stock fan is much more silent than the 212+, while it is in a similar price range. The only problem is this cooler is pretty big and having replaced the stock fan with 2 fans for a push/pull config. makes it even bigger.
m
l
September 5, 2010 11:22:44 PM

It seems alot of the recent high end heat sinks for a cpu are very similar, it boils down to the fans and the pull/push setup. 2 fans appears to be the way to go. If you after silence more then hardcore overclocking then i can recommend these for pure lack of noise:-

You literally can not hear them. the only thing you can hear is a soft blowing of air, but no motor noise or anything, so try 1 or 2 out on an existing heat sink if you have one. the review is pretty indepth.
m
l
Related resources
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 1:55:51 AM

Buy a 212+ it's the most cost effective and if the fan noise bothers you get a Scythe Gentle Typhoon or S-Flex to replace it.
The i5's aren't particularly hot running even when oc'd.
Otherwise spend a few bucks and get a TR Venomous X-RT it comes with great tim and a silent fan.
http://www.crazypc.com/products/venomous-x-rt-50989.htm...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 10:26:20 AM

Jak_Sparra said:
It seems alot of the recent high end heat sinks for a cpu are very similar, it boils down to the fans and the pull/push setup. 2 fans appears to be the way to go. If you after silence more then hardcore overclocking then i can recommend these for pure lack of noise:-

You literally can not hear them. the only thing you can hear is a soft blowing of air, but no motor noise or anything, so try 1 or 2 out on an existing heat sink if you have one. the review is pretty indepth.

I have a tx3 but the apaches are 120mm so they're not compatible.On the other hand they're available locally and I think I'll get 2 of them and a hyper 212 plus.Also thanks for finding me a review because I was trying to find one for them when I was looking for case fans and couldn't find one.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 12:11:36 PM

BeCoolBro said:
I have a tx3 but the apaches are 120mm so they're not compatible.On the other hand they're available locally and I think I'll get 2 of them and a hyper 212 plus.Also thanks for finding me a review because I was trying to find one for them when I was looking for case fans and couldn't find one.

I thought you said you were using stock if you have a TX3 use it.
It's a pretty decent cooler much better then stock or an AC Freezer Pro.
Btw i'm sure those Akasa fans you guys mentioned are quiet enough anything under 20db is to the ear.
But i would classify that so called review as a good description and that's it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 12:18:04 PM

davcon said:
I thought you said you were using stock if you have a TX3 use it.
It's a pretty decent cooler much better then stock or an AC Freezer Pro.
Btw i'm sure those Akasa fans you guys mentioned are quiet enough anything under 20db is to the ear.
But i would classify that so called review as a good description and that's it.

I have it but I broke 1 of the push pins.That's why I'm using stock.If the apaches were comatible I might have taken a look at new pushpins but anyway I prefer getting a brand new cooler with screws than messing with the flimsy pushpins.
m
l

Best solution

a c 183 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 12:34:06 PM

BeCoolBro said:
I have it but I broke 1 of the push pins.That's why I'm using stock.If the apaches were comatible I might have taken a look at new pushpins but anyway I prefer getting a brand new cooler with screws than messing with the flimsy pushpins.

Bloody push/pins!
Agreed you're are better off then going with the 212+ and some good fans under 20db.
I have a 212+ on my i3 530 rig and my only complaint is the fan that comes with it.
It much quieter then stock but still too loud for my liking.
I have a Thermalright MUX-120 on my i7 860 rig the X-Silent fan it came with is so quiet i had to keep looking to see if it was spinning for the first few days.
X-Silent 120mm fans are under $7 in Canada so i have push/pull,they are 3pin though however it doesn't matter cuz they're so quiet.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data...
Btw they keep changing the specs in the description.
Don't know why it says 1000rpm my box says 1200rpm.
They definitely run under 20db and mine run between 1100-1200rpm cuz i monitor the rpms.
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 3:53:31 PM

Best answer selected by BeCoolBro.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 4:07:34 PM

BeCoolBro said:
Best answer selected by BeCoolBro.

nThanks Bro! here's a link to a trusted site i use for reviews.They actually conduct real tests when reviewing products.
n
nhttp://www.silentpcreview.com/
m
l
!