Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With New Built Home System

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2009 2:14:20 AM

Just built a new system and I cant seem to get this guy to detect a hard drive, now in Bio's it see's the hard drive I have hooked up but when I move from bio's into boot up it says initalized no hard drive detected and returns to Bio's

I put in Vista 64 Ultimate and it starts to load then goes to the next screen with the little Knight Rider kit like its starting the operating system and then goes into a vist screen with no background or nothing just stays there.

Now I have a IDE Sony DVD drive, and a SATA Western Digital 150g Drive, and this is getting old quick after a week of trying to get this old beast of the ground. Any Suggestions I have listed everything that I have in the sentences above and below.

"BIOS DETECTS EVERYTHING" and I cant seem to get to the load window screen it sit's there and does nothing. Someone told me I need the WD disk to format it b/c Vista Can't Detect 150G is this true?

4 "SilverStone FM121 Case Fan with Control Speed 9 Bladed Designs 120X120X25mm - Retail (Silver)"

1 "Antec TPQ-850 TruePower Quattro 850W Power Supply"

1 "Logitech G9 Laser Mouse"

1 "OCZ OCZ2RPR10664GK PC2-8500 DDR2 Dual Channel Reaper Series 1066MHz 4G Kit CL 5-5-5-18 Memory"

1 "Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 64-bit for System Builders - 1 pack"

1 "BFG Tech NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 OC 1 GB GDDR3"

1 "Western Digital VelociRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA Bulk/OEM Hard Drive WD1500HLFS"

1 "Cooler Master Cosmos ATX Full Tower Case Silver - (RC-1000-KSN1-GP)"

1 "AMD HDZ940XCGIBOX Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3.0GHz Cache 8MB AM2+ 125W Processor - Retail"

1 ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe - Motherboard - ATX - AMD 790FX - Socket AM2+ - UDMA133, Serial ATA-300 (RAID), eSATA - Gigabit Ethernet - FireWire - HD Audio (8-channel

More about : built home system

February 18, 2009 2:30:33 AM

chances are you have a faulty hard drive .

The easiest way to check is to connect another hard drive and see if that works ,

m
l
February 18, 2009 2:41:43 AM

Don't have another SATA drive to put on it. I could put one of the IDE drives in here on the new box and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2009 3:39:33 AM

the two possible problems are
1/ the hard drive
or
2/ the sata controller on the motherboard .

The only way to isolate which is the problem is to have another computer with a sata port to connect that hard drive to
or
another sata hard drive to connect to the new motherboard .

Chances are its the hard drive . If you can format it on another computer as a secondary drive that will tell you a bit
m
l
February 18, 2009 3:47:28 AM

TY much im going to pull my old 80g HD out this pc im using on the secondary drive with only 400mb of data usage. Then i am going to take this hard drive down to Bestbuy Tommorow and see what they can do with it.

Ive also been told that some drives require drivers to be loaded First Before it will work. Since this is a OEM and didn't come with any software bestbuy is the next stop or Fry's Electronics. Im sure the Frekn IDE will work, but that wont tell me if its the controller or the drive.

Well ill update this tommorow after I do some digging around in the tech department with the hard drive.
m
l
February 18, 2009 4:25:09 AM

Originally SATA hard drives needed drivers installed before windows XP could install . The drivers were either on a floppy that came with the motherboard or on a cd which you had to transfer to a floppy

Now you can alter BIOS and you wont need a driver for XP either

Vista doesnt have this issue ,so that cant be the problem
m
l
February 18, 2009 9:20:24 AM

Figured it out, and everything is working using the pc now... I didn't give Vista 64 Ultimate Time enough to load up and start install... /shrug

Walked away from the pc after doing a restart and letting it run came back it was rdy to go... So I removed the IDE drive and put VelociRaptor on and it loaded up and im doing updates now :)  ty...
m
l
!