ATI 4670 Power Requirements

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
I checked on ATI's website, and the radeon 4670 requires a 400 W PSU.
However, a friend of mine would like to install it on a Dell Inspiron 530, whcih has a 300W PSU with 18A on the 12v rail. He has a Pentium Dual Core 2.2 GHz, 3 GB of ram, a harddrive and a DVD-ROM. I think 18A would be enough, since this card isn't a power hog (it doesn't have an auxiliary power connector). Moreover, Dell offers the 4670 as an option when customizing the PC for online purchase. So, will it work fine?

jeffredo

Distinguished
I read something that Dell measures their power supplies at average wattage instead of peak. The recommendation of 400W used by the board makers is peak. The Dell can easily handle that.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hello, sorry for bumping this old thread but I have a question related. I am looking to buy this graphics card (4670) as an improvement to my current. I am worried whether it will run fine on my computer.

My specs:
AMD Athlon II 2.7 ghz triple core
3 gb RAM
220W Power supply (My main worry)

Please can someone tell me if this is ok, and if not; supply me with a graphics card which would be ok for my specs. Thank you.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009

Most probably it won't run OK.

A nice card for you would be the 5670 or the 5750/ 5770 if your budget allows.

A nice PSU so that you're worry-free is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016&cm_re=antec_PSU-_-17-371-016-_-Product

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Atm I don't have alot of money which is why I chose a cheaper card - What will be wrong with the card? will it not run as well or? Do you know of any graphics cards which will be ok for my PSU? Also, how big are they (length and height etc) Thanks for your help.

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Yes... on the specs it says: Extension card slot: PCI Express® 2.0 x16 slot (low-profile) PCI Express® 2.0 x1 slot

is this a big problem? what do you suggest?

perak

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010

Thanks I will check that out soon. Is it possible for me to buy a bigger case to put my parts in? (Would it all fit correctly) As I have seen cases with 450w PSU in which would allow me to buy a better graphics card. If you want I can link you to both my PC and the case (If needed).

G

Apologies for bumping, but I need clarification on this issue. I need to upgrade my video card to run Fallout 3, and was wondering if the power supply of my PC (300W) would be enough to run the card and game smoothly. Cheers.

G

Will that card have any extra cabling to sort out, or will it go straight into the socket and get all of its power from the motherboard?

G

Sweet. Cheers for your help, been really useful. As you can probably tell, I know next to nothing about how computers work, so any useful help given is always appreciated.