Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD 955 stockfan hits 4800+ in game! What fan&heatsink should I get?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 6, 2010 5:16:49 AM

My Problem:

Well, it's summer and California weather can go up to 110°F, so my ambient temperature is a bit high. :fou: 

So when I'm gaming my cpu runs up to 55+°C and fan spins @4800+rpm. It's very loud :pt1cable: 

I do turn on the AC during daytime, but at night its off and yet it still hot in the room in most days.

My Question:

Just as the title says, I am looking into changing my stock cpu fan and heatsink, but don't know which one out there is a good quality, affordable price, good performance and will keep my cpu from exploding. I haven't much experience with aftermarket coolers, so suggestions would be nice. Which cpu cooler do you think fits with my specs?

My Specs:

Antec 300 mid tower case
AM3 socket mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 955 B.E.

(note: I modified the side panel of my antec 300, by adding a window with 2x120 fans to cool my gpu and cpu/ram).
(note: I've considered the cpu cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus, but my side fan might be a problem then again I wouldn't mind removing it and add it to the heatsink).

Best solution

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 6:02:02 AM
September 6, 2010 6:09:33 AM

thanks for that link. But I think I'm gonna have to just stick with my stock cooler I realized that my antec 300 doesn't have the hole on the motherboard tray for cpu backplate.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2010 6:16:48 AM

Best answer selected by monkey_d.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 6, 2010 9:19:03 AM

monkey_d said:
thanks for that link. But I think I'm gonna have to just stick with my stock cooler I realized that my antec 300 doesn't have the hole on the motherboard tray for cpu backplate.

Hey monkey...you supposed to take your mobo out of the case in order to install ,butif you don't feel comfortable doing it there is so many other coolers on the market and cheaper
here is one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
September 7, 2010 1:55:45 AM

ortoklaz said:
Hey monkey...you supposed to take your mobo out of the case in order to install ,butif you don't feel comfortable doing it there is so many other coolers on the market and cheaper
here is one:

@ortoklaz

Yeah I know that I'm gonna have to remove the motherboard if I ever decide to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus to install the backplate, but my question is will the backplate touch the antec 300's motherboard tray?

I also know that the risers keeps the motherboard from the case's mobo tray to keep it from electrical shortage, but is the gap big enough? Because I don't want to short my parts.

I am already leaning towards purchasing the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and considered nothing else because I've heard good reviews on the forum.

Doesn't the backplate hole on the mobo's tray on newer cases prevents electrical shortage and also makes an easy installation of aftermarket coolers?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 6:58:31 AM

You be fine,if not just replace risers for longer ones .I recommend MX-2 or MX-3 for thermal compound o and one more think...some of the new heatsinks are big and loud ,you my want to look in to it ,good luck

-------------

m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 7:12:12 AM

I have the 212, I think its coated on the side that touches the case so that it doesn't conduct. That or it won't physically touch the case. If it wasn't coated or did touch, or the issue your worried about is true, then you'd be hearing horror stories all over the place as people fry their machines. Its not the case.

Some people say the fan that comes with the 212 is loud. I find my case fans to be louder and don't find the 212 fan loud at all. The nice thing about it is that if it is loud for you, you can replace it with any fan you want. It used a clip system to attach the fan. Just remove the clips and attach whatever fan you want if you don't like the noise of it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 4:53:11 PM

A decent 92mm cooler will be much better than the stock cooler and you won't have to install a backplate (so long as your board at least has the default plasticky one. Get this

XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm

It clips on like the regular heatsink. I have a the HDT-SD964 which is basically the same but with a different fan. It's much quieter and more effective than the stock unit. Of course on mine I currently have two fans and I put it at 100% when I overclocked my CPU :D .
m
l
September 8, 2010 12:23:17 AM

4745454b said:
I have the 212, I think its coated on the side that touches the case so that it doesn't conduct. That or it won't physically touch the case. If it wasn't coated or did touch, or the issue your worried about is true, then you'd be hearing horror stories all over the place as people fry their machines. Its not the case.

Some people say the fan that comes with the 212 is loud. I find my case fans to be louder and don't find the 212 fan loud at all. The nice thing about it is that if it is loud for you, you can replace it with any fan you want. It used a clip system to attach the fan. Just remove the clips and attach whatever fan you want if you don't like the noise of it.

Does your case have the hole on the mobo tray for the backplate or is it closed tray like my antec 300 case?

And if it is a close tray, did you replace your risers to a taller one or did you stick with the regular size risers?
m
l
September 8, 2010 12:25:24 AM

megamanx00 said:
A decent 92mm cooler will be much better than the stock cooler and you won't have to install a backplate (so long as your board at least has the default plasticky one. Get this

XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm

It clips on like the regular heatsink. I have a the HDT-SD964 which is basically the same but with a different fan. It's much quieter and more effective than the stock unit. Of course on mine I currently have two fans and I put it at 100% when I overclocked my CPU :D .

I think i prefer the 120mm cpu cooler fans now than the smaller 92. and thanks for your recommendation.
m
l
September 8, 2010 12:26:47 AM

I'll probably just call coolermaster and ask them if Hyper 212 Plus will fit in my Antec 300. But thanks for all comments/reply.
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 6:16:44 AM

Its a flat/closed tray. I don't see how installing taller raisers would help, nothing would line up anymore. You can call if you want, but as I said it will work or else you'd hear about everyone pissed off about the shorted out motherboards.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 10:28:41 AM

If anyone reading this wants to know in my tests the 120mm 212+ runs 8C lower than the 92mm TX3 at full load (prime 95) on a C2 Phenom II 4 core at 3.7GHz both using the single fan they come with. The 212+ could get another 7C lower with 2 faster noisy fans (over 100CFM).
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 10:29:17 AM

I forgot to say the TX3 can be installed without removing the board
m
l
September 8, 2010 9:31:08 PM

4745454b said:
Its a flat/closed tray. I don't see how installing taller raisers would help, nothing would line up anymore. You can call if you want, but as I said it will work or else you'd hear about everyone pissed off about the shorted out motherboards.

I guess I should've also asked in the beginning the question "Will aftermarket cpu coolers with backplate fit a case with a flat/closed tray?" Thanks for you reply though. Well I guess I'm sold, btw do you know or recommend any other cpu cooler that can match the price, quality, features and performance of Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus?
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 11:32:07 PM

As long as your getting the 212+ for ~$30, its the best out there. Thats why it became so popular. You can get a better performer, but its going to cost more.
m
l
September 9, 2010 1:52:02 AM

Well thanks for everything guys, that was a big help and very informative.
m
l
!