switching Intel to AMD

G

Upgrading tomorrow from Pentium II to Athlon 1400.

Have been using Windows ME on current boot disk and plan to use same with new mobo. Is there anything I should do to Windows ME prior to making the switch? I am particularly wondering about the system drivers, such as the IDE controller, which is currently Intel, and all the other system device drivers.

What can I expect when booting with the new AMD?
Should I boot from floppy and reinstall windows?
Can I re-install Windows over the currently running Windows or should I delete any system drivers first?

Any help greatly appreciated!!
BTW, VERY excited about my new KT266A based AK31 Shuttle mobo.
And I don't want to f*** up!!!

David

G

if you saved all your games and programs in a diferent folder you could reformat c:
ie c:is operating system and do a fresh boot then make shortcuts to your prgs in D:\ or e:\?
if you chuck your drive in to the new comp yo will have alott of new drivers comeing in which be ok but rember to loose the old ones . check your device manager settings ! good luck ..ps dont forget to make a bood disk first!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
From a P2 to an Athlon 1.4 is a rather *noticable* switch. Winme gets varying results with every single setup known to man. Don't clean out all the junk (that msft likes to load with windows) for a few days, so you have time to decide if it's stable or not.

<font color=red>Apocalypse; Now.</font color=red>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"if you saved all your games and programs in a diferent folder you could reformat c:
ie c:is operating system and do a fresh boot then make shortcuts to your prgs in D:\ or e:\?
if you chuck your drive in to the new comp yo will have alott of new drivers comeing in which be ok but rember to loose the old ones . check your device manager settings ! good luck ..ps dont forget to make a bood disk first"</font color=green>
Without talking about how software is installed and how it works, I would rather say that unfortunatelly you can't save onto different location already installed in Windows games and other programs this way. It won't work this way with applications, except probably some DOS (DOS-alike old version ACCPAC doesn't work, should re-install). You can save (backup) your data, zipped (not installed) downloads and programs by moving or copying them though.

Re>Dpmorton:
Although, it is possible to install the harddrive from old system to a new one, booting into Safe Mode first (I did it several times when was time limited), then delete all the devices related to old system from the Device Manager, after that reboot and reinstall...
But I agree, it's not recommended even for very close systems. I had to go through error correcting process even after swapping harddrives on identical machines (two weeks delivery difference).
Clean re-install for OS and all applications is highly recommended as a remedy against naturally aging OS, so if you have to do it periodically after certain period of time for your system health, why not to clean re-instalall it on a new system, especially when such "*noticable* switch"?