mjakachira

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
My SSD's size keeps shrinking and i can't figure out why. i Have two other drives for games, music and other data and manually change locations when i download stuff but, i feel I must have missed something because lately its been getting smaller and smaller. Any advice on what I should do by the way its a Vertex 2 120GB and after installing windows 7 64bit, updates and some other small windows files its now at 67.1 gb.

chefjw

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Did you turn off system restore on the drive thats a big one. And the second one if making sure you turn hibernation off so it does not make hiberfil.sys You will also slowly lose space with DLL bloat if you are not careful and install/uninstall alot of stuff.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^+1.
1) First off, your space is being eaten most likley because you have a lot of ram. For example, if you have 6GB of ram, this means you will have a 6GB+ pagefile and a 6GB+ hibernation file. Thats a total of 12GB or more of space you lose on top of windows installation which is around 8GB for Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Therefore if you have plenty of ram, 4GB I would say is minimum, then I highly recommend disabling the page file and hibernation file.

2)Secondly, if you install a program and then uninstall it, you might think that all traces of the program were removed, but in windows...hell no. The program will most likley leave tons of file, registry keys...etc. Not just that but as the poster above said, the windows folder will bloat up from DLL files. I suggest being careful when you install/uninstall applications if you have concerns for space.

3)Next is windows updates, updates will grow your windows size, especially service packs.

4)Next is internet cache and temporary files. If you browse the web, your internet cache will grow rapidly. And your operating system temp files will also.

5) Downloads:...self explanatory.

6)Drivers. If for example you have a an nvidia/ati card and install a driver, each driver for nvidia I know is around 100-200MB+ when installed, the folder that is. When you install new driver the old one is not deleted. After some years or months of installing new drivers, the space will grow, you can delete old driver files safely.

TRENDING THREADS