Computer clock synchronization failures

My computer's clock keeps changing to February 22, 2036,
which kicks my Norton Antivirus into "Subscription
expired" and requires repeated corrections. There does
not seem to be a pattern to when it does it except it's
usually wrong when I turn on the computer, and it will
change sometime in the course of being on-line with
either email or internet. Because it's chronic, it's
preventing me from downloading updates from Microsoft.
I've synchronized with Microsoft clock every time, but it
doesn't hold. I just cleared w32.sasser virus from my
computer, but the clock problem began occurring 2 weeks
ago. HELP!
1 answer Last reply
More about computer clock synchronization failures

    On Thu, 6 May 2004 15:11:36 -0700, Inkpot wrote:

    > My computer's clock keeps changing to February 22, 2036,
    > which kicks my Norton Antivirus into "Subscription
    > expired" and requires repeated corrections. There does
    > not seem to be a pattern to when it does it except it's
    > usually wrong when I turn on the computer, and it will
    > change sometime in the course of being on-line with
    > either email or internet. Because it's chronic, it's
    > preventing me from downloading updates from Microsoft.
    > I've synchronized with Microsoft clock every time, but it
    > doesn't hold. I just cleared w32.sasser virus from my
    > computer, but the clock problem began occurring 2 weeks
    > ago. HELP!

    When you first start the computer, Windows picks up the date/time from the
    system. Since the date/time are wrong when you first turn on the computer,
    the settings may be incorrect in BIOS.

    Check the system's documentation for directions on entering the BIOS setup
    menus and check that the date/time is set correctly. OR: On systems that
    show the POST screens, you will see a line that says "Press <some key> to
    enter setup." That's the key you need to press to get to the needed menus.

    If the system continues to show the wrong time at startup, have the battery
    on the motherboard replaced. The battery stores date/time and configuration
    info when the system is not powered on. When the battery runs low, that
    information is not preserved from one boot to the next. Little things will
    not be right at first and as the battery gets lower, more information is
    lost to the point that the system may not boot unless you adjust BIOS
    manually at every startup. Replacing the battery (and checking that
    settings in BIOS are correct) will set things straight again.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Configuration Computers Microsoft Windows XP