blindmanwithskill

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I currently have a 500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD and I am in the market for an upgrade!
Would it be better to get another 500GB Barracuda to put in Raid 0 or get a Corsair Force 80GB SSD (or the equivalent)?
I just want something to use as a boot drive and to store most if not all of my applications.
I would prefer speed to capacity but getting another drive is $55 while an SSD is about $200.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Really depends on if you can afford it or not. If you can, then it's worth it, there's another thread going on right now about the pro's of SSD. But if you even think you can't afford it stick with the Raid 0, you'll live w/o the SSD!

FWIW I've got almost all of my set ups with a SSD, then RAID 1 for pictures, docs etc. and then either another HDD for back up or an external and it seems to work great for me. I've also set up one rig that uses Raid 0 and another larger drive for the back up and works great (not as great as the SSD) as well. So really, if your comfortable putting down the money, then do it. IF your even slightly uncomfortable, get the HDD, and save up until your more comfortable with the SSD cost.

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

Haha, good find, didn't really browse around thinking more gigs = less money! Looks like a good buy to me!