Problems after overclocking CPU?

i tried to overclock from the BIOS, i modified the bus speed just a little bit(my multiplier is set X15 and my bus speed is 200) but when i restart my pc i get a screen saying "detecting IDE drives....." (it takes a little bit too long on that screen) then i get another screen saying "disk boot error....insert system CD" then i restarted, selected in the BIOS "load optimized settings" and everything went back to normal! that only happens when i overclock!

then i tried setfsb, i moved the lever a little bit and my computer crashes!

my specs:
intel pentium D 925 @ 3.00GHz
ECS 945GCT-M3 with a phoenix BIOS (v3.0E) in CPU Z, it says that i have version 6.00 PG(05/22/2007)
power supply: ULTRA 550 WATTS (model: ULT-H550W ATX Power Supply)
RAM:
DDR2
1024 MBytes (i have 2 ram sticks of 1GB each)
PC2-5300 (667 MHz, both sticks together)
Micron Technology (manufacturer)

my video card: XFX nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO overclocked to 650 MHz(core)

i have 4 fans in total in my computer case (xion II case, i removed the big 120 MM fan in the back, and replaced it with 2 80 MM LED fans running @ 3000 RPM each)
my cpu core temps are 40~50 when idle
im using the stock cpu fan but i just bought this cpu cooler: http://www.amazon.com/Rocketfish-LGA-775-1156-754/dp/B0030U9ET0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

in case you read my last thread, i was trying to upgrade my cpu but i couldnt, thats why i thought in overclocking my current CPU

i cant afford another computer :(
4 answers Last reply
More about problems overclocking
  1. Do you have the most recent BIOS for your board?
  2. Hmm yeah an 07 BIOS is pretty dated, definitely check if there's a new one.

Sounds like it's probably an issue with the FSB being tied in to other clocks. A very common one is the RAM causing issues because it is tied in to a ratio with FSB, so you'll want to lower that or raise timings.

Definitely go through everything in your BIOS carefully.
  3. so? what do i have to do? lol
  4. EXT64 said:
    Do you have the most recent BIOS for your board?

yes, it is the most recent
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking CPUs