Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core i7 875k 94C!

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2010 8:25:19 AM

Hello

If I run Prime95 the temperatures from my Overclocked Intel Core i7 875k @ 4.10 Ghz will reach around 80C-85C, but with Acronis True Image Home (compression Maximum), man, the temperature of Core #4 reaches 94C

Now, I don't care if my processor get's damaged within 1-2 years, by that time there should already be something new
However, I don't have any urgency to burn any processor either

So what should I do?
1) Kill myself
2) Downclock to 4.0 Ghz when I am using Acronis True Image Home
3) Permanently downclock it to 4.0Ghz
4) Don't worry about it

I create a Windows Image with Acronis True Image home every time I feel my Windows 7 is super nice, or every time that I am going to do a big software change.

On average I say I use it 2 times a month, and every time it takes around 24 minutes to complete.

So, if the core #4 reaches 94C, for 50 minutes every month, will that kill the processor in the short term?

I know Nvidia cards can reach 105C, I know that if you have an Nvidia card and you run it at 90C-95C the thing won't burn/damage

I actually know that in Nvidia cards when the temperature reaches around 95C the ventilators start to spin like crazy to prevent the temperatures to go any higher.

I have the Cooler Master V8

The temperature on idle at 4.1Ghz is 41C

The max temperatures on the others cores are
Core #1: 90 C
Core #2: 88 C
Core #3: 85 C
Core #4: 95 C

I think the best idea will be to downclock this baby to 4.0Ghz or 3.9Ghz when I want to use Acronis

Thanks for your suggestions

More about : intel core 875k 94c

a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 9:29:32 AM

I don't think anyone really knows the maximum temp the chip can take but I would certainly recommend staying well out of the 90s and below 80 if possible (some people even say below 70C). It all comes down to how much you need the power of 4GHz+ also remember you may have a hotter day that will push it even higher. I am no expert on this but I hope it helps.
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:47:41 AM

simon12 said:
I don't think anyone really knows the maximum temp the chip can take but I would certainly recommend staying well out of the 90s and below 80 if possible (some people even say below 70C). It all comes down to how much you need the power of 4GHz+ also remember you may have a hotter day that will push it even higher. I am no expert on this but I hope it helps.

Well the problem is that I was running at 1.3625v

but not I am running the same speed on 1.3500v

I tested with Prime95 and it runs fine

Well, the way I see it, I have 2 options
1) AMD - runs cool at 65C
2) Intel - runs hot at 80C-90C

So, do you think that problem should send me to AM3 motherboards?

If I overclock a 1090T @ 4.2 Ghz, then 6 real cores running cool and overclocked at a nice speed will be hard to beat

I like Intel because with 4 cores Intel is very similar performance to AMD with 6 cores

so Intel is more 'efficient', I know for a fact that with Intel my games will run 3-10FPS faster than with AMD

Maybe Intel Virtual cores (or whatever the name is), really works great in games.

I've seen benchmarks comparing the Intel Core it 930 vs AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, and they run about the same

the Phenom X6 runs better with true multi-core programs, such as Adobe Premiere CS5

however, in games, I remember Crysis running around 7-8 FPS higher.

The way I see it, if I buy and spend money on Nvidia GTX 460, or GTX 470, I might as well buy a processor that uses every ounce of power in that video card.

Intel motherboards also have SLI, AM3 motherboards don't

however, with the SLI Patch, I can enable SLI on AM3 motherboards with no problems.

I like the fact that AMD makes every possible attempt to allow users to keep using their motherboards for long, long time

I know people with AM2 motherboards payed $299 and had an amazing 6 core processor, just a BIOS update.

I know on the other hand that Intel makes every single possible attempt to force users to change motherboards every 1-2 years.

So, I was thinking maybe donating this computer to my mom (I think a Intel Core i7-875k overclocked at 4.0Ghz might be a bit too much for Solitaire), but I want to have a good computer in my house, I can use it if I don't have one or if I sold mine.

So, what do you say guys?

Intel as the main computer and AMD as a backup?

or AMD as a main one and Intel as the backup?

One last thing thought, I know for a fact that Windows 7 64-bit is a GREAT program for multicore.

Windows 7 will use every ounce of juice my 1090T can handle, so do you think an Intel Core i7 875k runs better than an AMD 1090T or is it the other way around?

m
l
Related resources
September 7, 2010 10:17:01 AM

I downclocked my CPU to 3.8Ghz
I turned the voltage from 1.350V to 1.325v

the temperature is 84C high.

Again, Acronis True Image Home with Maximum compression is an UNUSUAL program, it really is

Prime95 will run around 10C lower than this, and Prime95 is supposed to be a stress program.

I suppose compressing 50GB with Maximum compression level is in fact hard for the CPU, but on the other hand Acronis is a program that gives me a bad feeling in my gut.

When you use the Acronis Virtual Safe Zone (or whatever the heck it's called), damn, that program takes 2-3 hours to create an image.

When you don't use the Acronis Safe Zone, and back that up in any drive, the process takes 25 minutes.

What I'm trying to say is, Acronis is a program that might overuse resources, it's not an 'efficient' program.

Therefore, I think I will use 4.1Ghz 24/7

and when I use that program which is not the most efficient program in town, I'll downclock it to 3.8Ghz

The best thing is that with Asus TurboV EVO, I can downclock from Windows, create the Acronis image, and then overclock back to 4.1Ghz again
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 7, 2010 12:32:02 PM

Get a new cooler, or lower the clock, you shouldnt run over 70C. 2 years at those temp, never going to happen.
m
l
a c 102 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 4:10:38 PM

Also 65C is too high for the AMD chip (62 is the max you want to go)
m
l
September 7, 2010 10:37:17 PM

simon12 said:
Also 65C is too high for the AMD chip (62 is the max you want to go)

I was able to overclock AMD and my max temperature was 60C-62C.

However with Intel, same cooler, man, the temperatures just go through the skies.

In every day computing, the temperatures reach 71C

With Prime95 the max temperature is 71C-79C

daship when you say "2 years at those temp, never going to happen"

what do you mean?

I am running CoreTemp and the CORE 4 is always 4C hotter than the other cores

I decided to downclock my processor to 4.0Ghz for the summer

Now with Prime95 it's running at 71C - 73C, max temperature 81C

When it's winter, I will overclock it to 4.1Ghz

I will always try to run Prime95 and reach temperatures of max 75C, no more than that

Prime95 runs stress on all cores, so I think it's safe to say the temperatures will be much cooler when using my computer 24/7

I will try to run at 4.1Ghz again to see the temperatures with Prime95, but I think that this CPU has problems reaching 4.1Ghz

I can run at 4.1Ghz but I have to raise my voltage from

1.3375V to 1.3625V

so if you ask me 0.03V for a mere 100Mhz is not worth it
m
l
!