Sign in with
Your question

How to recover data from an unalocated partition

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2010 9:44:30 AM

Hello,
I was resized an external harddisk using partition magic and then I created a new NTFS partion. How ever after doing this I only get the new partion and remaining space shown as unalocated. It contain approx 160 GB data can I recover it, Please help me.
a b G Storage
August 30, 2010 11:54:15 AM

First of all, you need to get the unallocated disk to a proper format, then only you can use some tools for recovery. But that would be risky. Converting from RAW to NTFS would mean a format and you may loose all the data permanently. I would recommend Recuva for the recovery. Its free and good. Just do a deep scan and see what its reports. I am not sure if Recuva does recovery from RAW partitions, download and check yourself. If it does, you may do a scan on the unallocated partition.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
September 13, 2010 8:59:12 AM

Quote:
First of all, you need to get the unallocated disk to a proper format, then only you can use some tools for recovery

I quite agree with hell_storm200 with this point. As to the recovery programs, I think you can also try Wondershare Data Recovery. There are four modules within this file recovery program: deleted recovery, format recovery, raw recovery and partition recovery. In your case "Raw Recovery" or "Partition Recovery" might be helpful to you.

m
l
!