On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:34:27 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
wrote:

> Will a PCI Radeon 9200 or GeForce MX4000 run the sims 2?

They will but only just. What sort of budget do you have?

wrote:

> Will a PCI Radeon 9200 or GeForce MX4000 run the sims 2?

If your machine has an AGP slot.....get an AGP card.

AGP=accelerated graphics port.

PCI video cards are much slower for high end graphics.

I use an NVidia FX5700LE 256DDR 8x AGP card right now...

I have a P4 2.4ghz, 533mhz FSB 1GB RAM ....system now...

but want to upgrade soon to make this game work smoother.

This game is definitely a "lush" on system resources.

SF

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 07:58:51 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:34:27 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
>wrote:
>

>> Will a PCI Radeon 9200 or GeForce MX4000 run the sims 2?
>
>If your machine has an AGP slot.....get an AGP card.
>
>AGP=accelerated graphics port.
>
>PCI video cards are much slower for high end graphics.
>
>I use an NVidia FX5700LE 256DDR 8x AGP card right now...
>
>I have a P4 2.4ghz, 533mhz FSB 1GB RAM ....system now...
>
>but want to upgrade soon to make this game work smoother.
>
>This game is definitely a "lush" on system resources.

Further to SF's post above, you might find this useful to explain the
differences;

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=101198&seqNum=3&rl=1

wrote:

> Will a PCI Radeon 9200 or GeForce MX4000 run the sims 2?

Yes. But it won't be pretty.

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

well of course I'd go AGP if I had an AGP slot, its for a cheap dell that my
mom bought, she uses it for the internet and the sims, it came with some
horrid Intel onboard video card and its got 3 PCI slots. As far as budget
not sure, but probably not much as the only game shes uses it for is the
sims. It runs the sims2 now but I guess she has a max of 4 characters at a
time and even then its pretty bad.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:11:40 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
wrote:

>well of course I'd go AGP if I had an AGP slot, its for a cheap dell that my
>mom bought, she uses it for the internet and the sims, it came with some
>horrid Intel onboard video card and its got 3 PCI slots. As far as budget
>not sure, but probably not much as the only game shes uses it for is the
>sims. It runs the sims2 now but I guess she has a max of 4 characters at a
>time and even then its pretty bad.

What processor and how much RAM does it have?

ali

Petebert wrote:
> well of course I'd go AGP if I had an AGP slot, its for a cheap dell that my
> mom bought, she uses it for the internet and the sims, it came with some
> horrid Intel onboard video card and its got 3 PCI slots. As far as budget
> not sure, but probably not much as the only game shes uses it for is the
> sims. It runs the sims2 now but I guess she has a max of 4 characters at a
> time and even then its pretty bad.
>

> "SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:34:27 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
>>wrote:
>>

>>> Will a PCI Radeon 9200 or GeForce MX4000 run the sims 2?
>>
>>If your machine has an AGP slot.....get an AGP card.
>>
>>AGP=accelerated graphics port.
>>
>>PCI video cards are much slower for high end graphics.
>>
>>I use an NVidia FX5700LE 256DDR 8x AGP card right now...
>>
>>I have a P4 2.4ghz, 533mhz FSB 1GB RAM ....system now...
>>
>>but want to upgrade soon to make this game work smoother.
>>
>>This game is definitely a "lush" on system resources.
>>
>>SF

Then she needs to upgrade the processor. The amount of sims you can
invite depends on the speed of the processor. HTH :)

Ali

wrote:

>well of course I'd go AGP if I had an AGP slot, its for a cheap dell that my
>mom bought, she uses it for the internet and the sims, it came with some
>horrid Intel onboard video card and its got 3 PCI slots. As far as budget
>not sure, but probably not much as the only game shes uses it for is the
>sims. It runs the sims2 now but I guess she has a max of 4 characters at a
>time and even then its pretty bad.

Sorry to say this, but "mom's Dell" isn't gonna cut it for TS2, or
other high-end 3D graphics games.

My advice would be to take about $1500, and build yourself a good
gaming machine.

SF

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 19:43:56 GMT, SIMper Fi <4ever@faithful.org>
wrote:

>Sorry to say this, but "mom's Dell" isn't gonna cut it for TS2, or
>other high-end 3D graphics games.
>
>My advice would be to take about $1500, and build yourself a good
>gaming machine.

I think that's a little unfair. My current PC is an Athlon 2700+ with
1GB RAM and a 256Mb Radeon 9600 card. It runs Sims 2 with no problems
at all and would probably cost around $500 to $600 to build.

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

theres no way someones mom would spend money for a gaming machine, but for
the rest of the machine... 2.4ghz Celeron and 512MB ram. I was pretty
surprised to hear she had problems with the sim2 as I dont consider the
graphics to be all that special.

> On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:11:40 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
> wrote:
>
>>well of course I'd go AGP if I had an AGP slot, its for a cheap dell that
>>my
>>mom bought, she uses it for the internet and the sims, it came with some
>>horrid Intel onboard video card and its got 3 PCI slots. As far as budget
>>not sure, but probably not much as the only game shes uses it for is the
>>sims. It runs the sims2 now but I guess she has a max of 4 characters at a
>>time and even then its pretty bad.
>
> Sorry to say this, but "mom's Dell" isn't gonna cut it for TS2, or
> other high-end 3D graphics games.
>
> My advice would be to take about $1500, and build yourself a good
> gaming machine.
>
> SF
>

>>"SIMper Fi" <4ever@faithful.org> wrote in message

>>> If your machine has an AGP slot.....get an AGP card.
>>>
>>> AGP=accelerated graphics port.
>>>
>>> PCI video cards are much slower for high end graphics.
>>>
>>> I use an NVidia FX5700LE 256DDR 8x AGP card right now...
>>>
>>> I have a P4 2.4ghz, 533mhz FSB 1GB RAM ....system now...
>>>
>>> but want to upgrade soon to make this game work smoother.
>>>
>>> This game is definitely a "lush" on system resources.
>>>
>>> SF

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

I've got the same setup as you, my 2700 is an oc'd 2100, radeon 9600 pro,
1gig of ram and sims 2 runs fine for me.

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:57:13 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
wrote:

>theres no way someones mom would spend money for a gaming machine, but for
>the rest of the machine... 2.4ghz Celeron and 512MB ram. I was pretty
>surprised to hear she had problems with the sim2 as I dont consider the
>graphics to be all that special.

When Sims 2 first came out I would say that around 70% of problems
were graphics related. Most Simmers tend not to be folks with cutting
edge PC's. In the case of the Dell, throw a 9200 with 128Mb and an
extra 512Mb RAM and it should be fine.

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

i was thinking more ram would really help it but it maxes at 512 with 2
slots according to the dell website, not sure if the mobo would accept a 512
in one of those slots and a 256 or 512 in the other or if it really only
accepts 512

Petebert wrote:
> theres no way someones mom would spend money for a gaming machine,
> but for the rest of the machine... 2.4ghz Celeron and 512MB ram. I
> was pretty surprised to hear she had problems with the sim2 as I dont
> consider the graphics to be all that special.

Hey! I'm someone's Mom and I would. I'm four someon''s Mom and eight
someones' Grandma, for Pete's sake! LOL

Jeanie

Jeanie wrote:
> Petebert wrote:
>
>>theres no way someones mom would spend money for a gaming machine,
>>but for the rest of the machine... 2.4ghz Celeron and 512MB ram. I
>>was pretty surprised to hear she had problems with the sim2 as I dont
>>consider the graphics to be all that special.
>

> Hey! I'm someone's Mom and I would. I'm four someon''s Mom and eight
> someones' Grandma, for Pete's sake! LOL
>
> Jeanie

Yes, but you are intelligently buying for you! What kind of computer
would your mom buy for you?

If my mum bought me my computer, it would be a paperweight.

My da, on the other hand... lol.

-georg

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:36:33 -0500, "Petebert" <castle@nthrax.org>
wrote:

>i was thinking more ram would really help it but it maxes at 512 with 2
>slots according to the dell website, not sure if the mobo would accept a 512
>in one of those slots and a 256 or 512 in the other or if it really only
>accepts 512

If the total RAM capacity for the board is 512MB, with two
slots....that means the max RAM max ram stick you can use, is 256MB
per slot.

And if max capacity of that board is only 512MB, and running
XP...that's a pretty low-end motherboard.

Windows XP itself can handle 4GB of RAM before it gets stupid, like
the old Windows boxes did if you tried to go over 512MB of RAM,
without modifications to the system.ini file, and adding a vcache
line.

Celeron processors also have no L2 cache, which is processor cache....

"mom's Dell" machine there, is a low-end machine, that probably didn't
cost more than $700 max....has embedded sound, and probably embedded
video with an Intel Extreme Graphics chip, or something.

That machine is good for surfing the Internet, checking email, and
making Word documents.....but that's about all it's good for.

And you'll never make a bar of gold, out of a turd....no matter how
hard you try.

SF