Radeon HD 4830 vs GeForce 9400 GT

Hey all. I bought a new computer finally, and need a graphics card. The built in one is understandbly soft, and I would like smoother running movies and video games.

Here is my system:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=hk&lang=en&product=3856269

ProcessorAMD Phenom™ X4
Processor Speed1.8GHz
Cache Memory2MB L2 + 2MB shared L3
System Memory (RAM)4GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To8GB

GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Video Memory128MB (dedicated); up to 1343MB (allocated by Windows Vista)

Total Expansion Slots1 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
Available Expansion Slots1 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
(Does that mean its using a PCI-E slot for that graphics card?)


Anyway, I have to be under $100 dollars, and the article at the front page offered the Radeon HD 4830, but I am wondering if it will be a MAJOJR difference between the 9400 GT... which is only 45 dollars right now.

I mostly play The Sims 2 as far as games, but I also like to get a little COunterstrike Source in now and then.

Thanks for the info!
31 answers Last reply
More about radeon 4830 geforce 9400
  1. A 4830 will totally destroy a 9400. What you really need to know is what the power supply in the case is like. As its a HP i suspect but dont know that its a generic model which may have a weak +12v rail.
    The 4830 would need an extra power cable (6pin PCIE connector) to power it.
    I dont think the 9400 would but i wouldnt entertain that card anyway.
    Depending on the size of your screen i would recomend you get a HD4670, Its a very capable card up to a 19" screen and will handle higher with reduced settings.
    So can you look inside the case and let us know what the PSU lists for either the Amps on the +12v rail or the Watts, and also what your screen size/resolution is

    Mactronix :)
  2. For gaming, the Radeon 4830 compares to a GeForce 9800 GT, which is a big performance differcence. But the games you mention need little graphics poewer, and would run fine on a 9400 GT. For newer games, I'd say you get the HD 4830.
  3. mactronix said:
    A 4830 will totally destroy a 9400. What you really need to know is what the power supply in the case is like. As its a HP i suspect but dont know that its a generic model which may have a weak +12v rail.
    The 4830 would need an extra power cable (6pin PCIE connector) to power it.
    I dont think the 9400 would but i wouldnt entertain that card anyway.
    Depending on the size of your screen i would recomend you get a HD4670, Its a very capable card up to a 19" screen and will handle higher with reduced settings.
    So can you look inside the case and let us know what the PSU lists for either the Amps on the +12v rail or the Watts, and also what your screen size/resolution is

    Mactronix :)


    If I have to buy a different power supply for the 4830, than I just simply cannot get it.

    I have a 19 inch wide HANNSpree monitor.

    My computer model is an HP A6700y if that helps. The website says this:

    300 Watt Power Supply
    One 24-pin ATX power connector
    One 4-pin ATX power connector
    One PATA connector
    Four SATA connectors
    One floppy drive connector
    Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
    One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
    One SPDIF digital audio output header
    One front line input connector (interrupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
    One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
    Four USB headers supporting 6 additional USB 2.0 ports or devices
    One 1394a header
    One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (not used by HP)
    One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
    One jumper to disable BIOS password checking
  4. It dosent have a PCIe power plug, which means no 4830. Get the 4670 instead, its about on par with an 8800GT/9800GT and dosent require a power plug. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+106792627+1067944045&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= They are also relatively cheap.
  5. +1 spathotan.
  6. Exactly, put down the very idea of a 9400gt and slowly back far far away.
  7. but do you really need it? sims and CS:S are very light on the graphics card and you don't need a 4830 for them, even though I would recommend getiing something better than a 9400 which a weak version of a weak version of a card.
  8. I agree with the 4670 recommendation. It is not that much more expensive than the 9400GT and blows it out of the water performance-wise. It doesn't need external power like the 4830 (and some of those require 2 slots) and will run the games you want to play without a problem.
  9. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/15276-sapphire-hd-4670-ultimate-512mb-passive-video-card-review.html

    This one's kind of neat. Cooler than a stock HD 4670 (even though its passively cooled) and uses a tiny bit less power (one less fan running). Just make sure you have room for the heatsink (sticks up on top).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102816
  10. wait for the 4750 and thats the best for u. its gonna retail at 100 :D
  11. jeffredo said:
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/15276-sapphire-hd-4670-ultimate-512mb-passive-video-card-review.html

    This one's kind of neat. Cooler than a stock HD 4670 (even though its passively cooled) and uses a tiny bit less power (one less fan running). Just make sure you have room for the heatsink (sticks up on top).

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102816



    Looking at those benches, on hardware cannucks, I have to take back what I said earlier about the 4670 competing with the 88/9800GT. I could have swore they were about even....
  12. No, its the 9600 and the 4670. 4830 vs 9800GT =.
    To the OP. DONT get the 9400, whatever you do, its more for playing movies than playing actual games. And even then, the 4670 is better for playing movies
  13. So, still the best thing for me would be the 4670?
  14. OH and ONE more question... will it run 1440x900?
  15. Sure - that's a pretty low resolution.
  16. @ rmthompson; Yes and yes.
  17. The 4670 should be good enough for you (considering budget and power), and you will definitely see a difference.
  18. A 9400 is an entry-level card.

    I love NVIDIA, but the 4830 would destroy the 9400. At a much higher cost.

    9400GT @ $45: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121292
    4830 @ $110: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121289

    If you read the specs, the 4830 kills, but it's way more expensive.
  19. On that power supply as i thought the 4830 just isnt an option. the 4670 is pretty much made for people in your situation, generic PSU but in need of a graphical upgrade.
    No extra power needed and with hardware support for HTPC applications (Movies etc)
    It will handle 1440x900 very well, this review is for the 4830 but covers the 4670 and 9400 in the benchmarks as well. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_4830/6.html
    Incase you are not aware 1280x1024 is more or less the same as 1440x900

    19" 1280 x 1024 86.3 ppi 0.2944 mm 5:4 1.25 MP

    19" 1440 x 900 89.4 ppi 0.2842 mm 16:10 1.24 MP

    Mactronix
  20. NEW issue:

    I need to buy the card at Best Buy, where I have 40$ dollars in Reward Bucks.

    Can anyone recommend a card on their website??

    Ryan
  21. Thats too bad at new egg you could get two cards for what they are charging at Best Buy. As such i really cant recomend you buy from them.

    Sorry
    Mactronix
  22. Like Mactronix said, you would be better off saving those Reward Bucks for something else and just buying the video card online somewhere like NewEgg.
    But as far as video cards at Best Buy, your best options are probably:
    3650 for $80: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8761878&type=product&id=1202650704648
    4650 for $130: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9254585&type=product&id=1218069451494

    For comparison, you can get a 4670 for $50 (after $30 rebate) from NewEgg right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125244
  23. 3870 > 4670 > 3850 > 4650 > 3650 > etc...

    But 3870/3850 needs quite a bit more power
  24. my advise is the radeon 4670 512mb ddr3. do not buy geforce 9400gt/9500gt/9600gt or radeon 3650/3850/3870.
  25. The 9600GT has the same performance as the 4670.

    The 3850/3870 are equal and better to the 4670 respectively, but the 38xx series uses up a lot of power that a 300watt PSU can't handle
  26. Buy the card from newegg, they will give you the best deal.

    THEN you should use the $40 to get a game to play with your new card :D.
  27. JAYDEEJOHN said:
    No, its the 9600 and the 4670. 4830 vs 9800GT =.
    To the OP. DONT get the 9400, whatever you do, its more for playing movies than playing actual games. And even then, the 4670 is better for playing movies

    True i for one use one for world at war and modern warfare and suffer lag
  28. sanchz said:
    For gaming, the Radeon 4830 compares to a GeForce 9800 GT, which is a big performance differcence. But the games you mention need little graphics poewer, and would run fine on a 9400 GT. For newer games, I'd say you get the HD 4830.


    plz dont tell me that 9400 not good.i already buyed it.
    comparing 4830 how good is it
  29. rmthompson said:
    If I have to buy a different power supply for the 4830, than I just simply cannot get it.

    I have a 19 inch wide HANNSpree monitor.

    My computer model is an HP A6700y if that helps. The website says this:

    300 Watt Power Supply
    One 24-pin ATX power connector
    One 4-pin ATX power connector
    One PATA connector
    Four SATA connectors
    One floppy drive connector
    Two 12v fan connectors for CPU fan and PC fan
    One 9-pin header for power button, reset button, power LED, and HDD LED
    One SPDIF digital audio output header
    One front line input connector (interrupts line input on back panel, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
    One 9-pin audio header for headphone-out and microphone-in (yellow, Vista capable, requires matching front audio jack module)
    Four USB headers supporting 6 additional USB 2.0 ports or devices
    One 1394a header
    One Intel high-definition Audio/Modem Link (not used by HP)
    One jumper for resetting BIOS settings
    One jumper to disable BIOS password checking


    go get a decent psu first before this discussion start.......300watt..are you kidding me? it is barely function on your current system(for phenom quad core 65nm that is a yes.) i dont think any of card on stock can fit your computer plus like mactronix said that prebuild psu may did not actual provide 300watt all time and 12v capacity is way weak.

    i'm aware that that someone recommanding 4670. but i dont think that poor psu can make that happen. most important........ non of any card can stuff in a power supply of under 300w...not even 4670 who would need at least 350watt to be function probably. or you may consider change you processor from quad core phenom back to dual core athlon x 2 or sempron x2 to save some power for graphic card since that phenom is a power hogging monster a 4670 will just make it worse. for my oppinion.....go back and save more money to buy a decent psu firse then we continue the discussion.

    never buy a prebuild

    Quote:
    plz dont tell me that 9400 not good.i already buyed it.
    comparing 4830 how good is it


    in most case 9400 cannot run many game even in lowest setting&resolution(ex: quake 4, stalker, left 4 dead, jericho, and even far cry, not to mention heavy demand game like crysis, killzone, fear2, and modern warfare). that is what low end card is. another hand 4830 was consider to be a mid range card that suppose to be for mid range gaming which it will definetely blow 9400 out of this planet or solar system.

    i know your pain buddy....pain that you know nothing about computer

    i understand it's sucks.
  30. cheesesubs said:
    go get a decent psu first before this discussion start.......300watt..are you kidding me? it is barely function on your current system(for phenom quad core 65nm that is a yes.) i dont think any of card on stock can fit your computer plus like mactronix said that prebuild psu may did not actual provide 300watt all time and 12v capacity is way weak.

    i'm aware that that someone recommanding 4670. but i dont think that poor psu can make that happen. most important........ non of any card can stuff in a power supply of under 300w...not even 4670 who would need at least 350watt to be function probably. or you may consider change you processor from quad core phenom back to dual core athlon x 2 or sempron x2 to save some power for graphic card since that phenom is a power hogging monster a 4670 will just make it worse. for my oppinion.....go back and save more money to buy a decent psu firse then we continue the discussion.

    never buy a prebuild


    in most case 9400 cannot run many game even in lowest setting&resolution(ex: quake 4, stalker, left 4 dead, jericho, and even far cry, not to mention heavy demand game like crysis, killzone, fear2, and modern warfare). that is what low end card is. another hand 4830 was consider to be a mid range card that suppose to be for mid range gaming which it will definetely blow 9400 out of this planet or solar system.

    i know your pain buddy....pain that you know nothing about computer

    i understand it's sucks.



    Wow. So wrong and so unhelpful. Flagged.
  31. Quote:
    plz dont tell me that 9400 not good.i already buyed it.
    comparing 4830 how good is it


    What are you guys a bunch if ATI fanboys??? I have the VaporX 4870 and I wish I never got it, ATI might have a faster card but what good is a faster card when all you get is half ass graphics with artifacts and junk graphics? ATI has the worst driver support in the business, and not to mention no Physx support, and as far as their directx 11 support... all nvidia will do is make some adjustments to their drivers and BAM DX11 support, I wasted 200 bucks on an ATI and I would take teh first 100 bucks for it I am going back to Nvidia and I don't care if it's alittle slower because I know they will work , ATI drivers haven't been right sence the 9.1's were out, I have wrote to their company on several occasions and got some responce that sounded like it came from another country and it looked like they ever even read the report I sent, I have had ATI in teh past and the past card I got the was the RAGE FURY PRO and buy the time I got it to work right I was in a rage fury and put it through a wall and never even looked back, right now I have 4 machines running and 2 of them have the EVGA 8800GTX KO 768 in them one is running them in SLI and it killes all my ATI cards , jsut try playing GTA IV with an ATI card set all the way up and see what happens, I had an invisable head on guy ..all I could see was teeth and lips, all the cars were missing parts... tonight I went to Micro Center and got a Geforce 220GT 1gig card it's not SLI ready but its for my wife's system it has a far better picture on a 24" samsung LCD than my Vapor X the color for one and when I ran COD MW2 what a differance... I got alittle less FPS but the textures were far better ..so if you want to throw your money away.... BUY the ATI
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Geforce PCI Express Graphics Product