I want to upgrade my CPU

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and computer modification/upgrading in general, so don't be too cruel. :)

I want to upgrade my Pentium 4 Processor to something like a Dual Core or Core 2 Duo (isn't that the same by the way?)

I bought a quad core once, only to discover that my motherboard wasn't compatible with it, so this time I want to make sure I buy the right stuff, so I figured I might as well ask the people who knows a lot more than me.

I'm basicly looking for a dual core (or similar)with at least 3.0 GHz that is compatible with my PC, if it isn't then I hope you've got some suggestions for what I should get instead. I would prefer en Intel CPU btw.

Anyway; here's my computer summary:

Computer:
Computer Type - ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack - Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer - 7.0.5730.13 (IE 7.0)
DirectX - 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type - Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
Motherboard Name - Dell XPS 600 (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset - nVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition
System Memory - 2048 MB (DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Nanya NT512T64U88A0BY-37 - 512 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM2: Nanya NT512T64U88A0BY-37 - 512 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: Kingston - 512 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM4: Kingston - 512 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)
BIOS Type - Phoenix (09/27/06)
Communication Port - Communications Port (COM1)

Display:
Video Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512 MB)
3D Accelerator - nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor - AG Neovo K-A19 [19" LCD] (01632)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter - Creative CA20K1 X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Audio Processor

Storage:
IDE Controller - Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Storage Controller - AJCPJLCR IDE Controller
Storage Controller - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
Storage Controller - NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive - Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive - Seagate FreeAgentDesktop USB Device (465 GB, USB)
Disk Drive - ST3160023AS (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive - HL-DT-ST CDRW/DVD GCC4482 (DVD:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Optical Drive - LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:5x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status - OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) - 149997 MB (27420 MB free)
K: (NTFS) - 476937 MB (69 MB free)
Total Size - 612.2 GB (26.8 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard- HID Keyboard Device
Mouse - HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address - 10.0.0.5
Primary MAC Address - 00-14-22-30-04-B4
Network Adapter - D-Link DFE-538TX 10/100 Adapter
Network Adapter - NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (10.0.0.5)

Peripherals:
Printer - Adobe PDF
Printer - hp deskjet 960c
Printer - Microsoft XPS Document Writer
FireWire Controller - NEC uPD72873 IEEE1394 OHCI 1.1 2-port PHY-Link Controller
FireWire Controller - Texas Instruments TSB43AB22 1394A-2000 OHCI PHY/Link-Layer Controller (PHY: TI TSB41AB1/2)
USB1 Controller - nVIDIA nForce4 SLI (CK8-04) - OHCI USB 1.1 Controller
USB2 Controller - nVIDIA nForce4 SLI (CK8-04) - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device - Generic USB Hub
USB Device - USB Composite Device
USB Device - USB Human Interface Device
USB Device - USB Mass Storage Device
USB Device - USB Printing Support

I hope you guys can help.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
long post but you missed out on what you use your computer for which might dictate what CPU you should get.

Price range?
Gaming?
Overclocking?
Multitasking (video encoding, etc)?
Are you using any applications such as the ones in the Adobe Creative Suite 4? (Photoshop, etc)

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I would be willing to spend $500.

I do play video games, but I want to upgrade it for video editing primarily. I've been playing less and less games anyway.
I know absolutely nothing about overclocking, so I'm not 100% comfortable with it.
I use both Photoshop and Premiere on almost a daily basis. But also 3Ds Max.

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
sorry for the double post, can't edit the previous one.

I just figured out the model id of my motherboard, that might help: 0GC375
After a bit of research it seems like this motherboard is not compatible with core2duo or dualcore - any truth to this?

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
After a brief look at the dell website

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/dimen/topics/en/dimen_xps600_sp_overview?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

this does seem to be the case yes...

It supports Pentium Dual Core but not Core 2 Duo.

With your budget you could afford a new motherboard (P45 chipset) and a new dual core easily. If you want to save some money then maybe go for a E8400 @ 3.0GHz, but if you want to get the best of the bunch go for the E8600 @ 3.3GHz, both will overclock well and very easily if you ever fancy it. I am guessing that from the activities you do on your computer you will benefit from the higher clock speeds.

Its not essential but renders in 3Ds Max would benefit from a quad core processor....which you can afford. Its your choice....

EDIT: I am not actually 100% on whether your current MoBo will support Core 2 Duo, it isn't list on the Dell site, but both the Pentium Dual Cores and the Core 2 Duo chips are LGA775 sockets. Maybe someone else could pitch in on this?

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
True but he is not that interested in Ocing so buying a CPU with a higher clock out of the box might be the best option for him. Also, the Gigabyte EP45-DS3P is only about $100 plus 4GB of Corsair Dominator PC2 8500 is only $80.

That is a lot of cash left over for the best dual core, granted even the best quad core you can get.

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Okay, new motherboard then. Got it. But isn't changing a motherboard somewhat complex? I have to make sure that everything I've already got fits, it would be a shame to order a motherboard only to find out the ram or something doesn't fit.
If I want to explore for other motherboards, what would I have to look for?

The Gigabyte Ep45-DS3P does seem very affordable however. (seems like it's got two ddr2 ram slots. Does one with 4 slots exist? otherwise I'll end up with only 1 GB of ram)

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I'll check those out, but here's the battleplan so far:
Gonna buy this Gigabyte EP45-DS3P motherboard. Then I'm going to buy the E8600 processor. Next I would have to invest in a new ram block (because 1GB isn't enough for me); I'm going to buy a 4GB block - then later I might consider buying yet another block so I'll end up with 8GB of ram.

It's gotten a little more expensive than I expected but there's no rush, I'll save it up.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
well...honestly i dont why you are so concerned with clock speed, but correct me if I am wrong, there are some core 2 dou or core 2 quad processors with like 1-2ghz clock speed are far more powerful and can outperform you processor anytime :) Clock speed means a lot but its not everything. Architecture and type of processor determines its power greatly.

1: You dont want to get a dual core as they are outdated now
2: get a core 2 duo or higher
3:Since your processor is highly unlikely to cost $500(unless you buy it at best buy or something), i would personally upgrade to more ram with a higher speed. If you have any left overs and have an SLI motherboard and your PSU will support it maybe smack another 8800gt 512mb into your system as it cost 100 bucks right now and will make you a very nice graphical editing workstation :)

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I'm not terrified about overclocking, it's just unknown territory for me, so I'm just a little cautious, that's all. I don't mind overclocking it a little bit.
SLI is also unknown for me, don't really know what it is. But I think my motherboard supports it.

And I understand that I should stay away from Dual Core processors since they're outdated. So I should go for a quad instead? (which one would you guys suggest? I'm thinking about the Intel Core 2 Quad Model Q9300 or 9550)

I'm a bit confused now by the way... The suggested motherboard (Gigabyte EP45-DS3P) is still fine right? Or is there a better alternative in regards to ram upgrades?
It's still a ah heck that there's only two slots, but as long as I can support 16 gigs om ram I'm happy.

I understand, or at least I think I understand, that my current type of ram (DDR2) isn't as fast as other types. I don't know what those types are though. Is there a better type of ram that fits with this motherboard?

Of course I could also look for another motherboard, but then I'd have to start this questioning all over again; does that motherboard support my current hardware, what type of ram is most beneficial to me etc.

I'll try to sum this post up:
Is my the gigabyte motherboard the best option for me or is there another alternative?
What kind of ram should I buy for it or the alternative?

Unless I am missing something here, the OP's computer is a Dell.
Basically, all this upgrading and buying parts is kind of useless, you really need to start all over with a new build, or go buy a new Dell.
The problems you are going to run into if you try to start changing parts in that Dell are going to snowball fast.
For starters, your OEM verson of Windows will no longer work. You will have to buy a complete FULL retail version of Windows if you change your board, if you CAN change the board and get everything to plug back into it. That is just to get the ball rolling......there is much, much more to overcome if you want to go down this road.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

OK, First, hes already decided to replace the motherboard, so essencially hes only recycling the GPU, case, and PSU.

Second, you CAN use OEM versions of Windows on different machines, please stop speading this FUD. You will have to do phone activation, but trust me, it can be done.

Okay mr know it all, take a Dell OEM CD and just try, since you are so damn smart, just try to install it on another motherboard. Yep you just go right ahead and try it.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

The CD itself may be locked, but thats no reason to run out and buy a new copy. All you need for activation is the LICENCE.

If it is a Dell OEM cd, you aren't going to get to the activation part, because it will not install. As soon as put the disk in, and it starts, it is going to give you a message that says this software will only install on a Dell computer. It checks for a code in the Dell Bios. If you don't have a Dell, HP, Gateway, or whatever Bios it is looking for, it will abort the install. Now I am not sure about Vista, or laptops. Could be your laptop shipped with a "retail" version of Vista. (You have that option when buy a PC, either the OEM version, or the retail version) But I have tried it with XP, Dell, Gateway, (and Gateway laptops) and HP's and I can tell you the install disk simply will not work if it does not find the corresponding BIOS.

It's a Dell OEM Vista Ultimate disk, and it very definitely will install on any system you want it to.

Maybe this was different with their XP disks, but with Vista, they definitely have not limited the disks in any way.

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I think I'm gonna have to check wether my version of Windows XP will install. It is a Dell version though and I do recall having some trouple with it once. But I'm pretty sure I did install it on another pc once.

But even if the Dell cd doesn't work, I can still use my dad's windows xp cd to install and then activate my own license over the phone right?

However, I have to consider wether I should upgrade my current pc or just wait a little longer and save up for a new non-dell pc. I depends on what would be most beneficial to me in the long run.

hefox

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
I am not sure about Vista but with XP doesn't work. If is the OEM version that came with the dell system, you are stuck. You can't transfer the license to another pc. The disk is designed to run only on that specific system.

Mondoman

Splendid
Tobias, besides the OEM Dell XP CD probably not working, you will also probably have to buy a new, better power supply along with the MB, CPU & RAM. There's a good chance you will also have to buy a new case. As you can see, it's probably better just to plan on building a whole new computer.

TobiasDK

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Yeah I've been thinking about when I would be required to buy a new power supply anyway.

I think I'm going to build a new one though, unless I can find a good offer.
My grapics card and sound card is pretty good, so I don't think I have to replace those.

The dell machines may have a BTX motherboard. You need to check that a standard ATX motherboard will fit.

It looks to me like you could put in a Pentium D 840 (3.2). You can get one on e-bay for about $40.