Screws can't be removed? Help?

Triassic

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I'm trying to take out an old mobo to replace it. However I'm only able to remove about three screws. The rest are impossible. I went through my entire toolbox of screwdrivers, and none of them work. The screwdrivers just turn in place. I've tried pliers, screwdrivers, even socket wrenches, just out of desperation. In a fit of rage, I even took the edge of a hammer and tried to rip the bastard out. I used all my strength and the mobo didn't even budge.

What do I do? I don't have the money to spend taking it somewhere, so I'll be stuck doing this myself. I've looked and searched but I haven't come across any advice. Everyone just says how easy it is to remove a motherboard, how a child could do it. Ugh.

So I turn to Tom's. Can anyone help me? This is infuriating.

fedtmusen

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008

---
Under the motherboard you will find brass-standoffs. Hold those tight, and then use the screwdriver.

Triassic

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Thanks for replying.

I can't seem to reach the brass standoffs. There's less than 1 centimeter between the motherboard and the case, and the angles are such in my case that even using the smallest pair of needlenose pliers I have, I cannot maneuver to hold them in place.

Triassic

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009

So even if the screws don't turn when I use a screwdriver, keep at it? I'll try that. Thank for replying.

I read your problem to be that the screws turned, but did not come out. That means that they were tightened into the standoffs tighter than the standoffs were tightened into the case.

If the screwdriver won't turn the screws at all, and are stripping the slot in the top of the screw, then you have a bigger problem.
If that is the case, verify that you have the proper size screwdriver. It should probably be a #2 phillips head. Next, put good pressure down to hold the screwdriver in the slot as you turn.

If all else fails, you may have to use a dremel to grind off the top of the screw. Protect the rest of your motherboard from the metal shavings while you do this.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
I take it you are not trying to save the MB if you tried to rip it out with a claw hammer...nice LOL!

If you have a newer pair of Vice Grips try to grab the head of the screw and turn counter-clockwise. I'm saying newer because they will have nice sharp, flat edges on the end where you will want to try to grab the screws.

Next if that fails, do you have a SHARP flat chisel? From the edge of the screw to the edge of the chisel tap chisel/screw in a counter-clockwise direction.

Next, Grind off head like Geofelt posted. If you dont have a dremel use a drill about the same size as the head of the screw, stop drilling when the head comes off.

If you do have a dremel it is possible to grind a straight slot for use with a flat blade screw driver.

Next if all else fails, lay computer case on a hard flat surface, like your driveway, and run the F'er over with the car. Throw the POS in the dumpster, go to newegg.com buy new case.