Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading motherboard with OEM windows

Last response: in Motherboards
July 25, 2009 7:54:30 PM

I want to upgrade my motherboard but there's just one problem. I have an OEM version of Windows Vista that came with my computer and I can't upgrade the motherboard without getting a new windows product key. I really want to avoid this. Would it be possible to install the new motherboard, install the Windows 7 RC, and then use my upgrade copy of Windows 7 to do a clean install? Would this work or would I run into problems?
a b V Motherboard
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 25, 2009 9:24:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that the upgrade won't accept a Windows 7 RC installation as a valid prerequisite. If would be a pretty huge hole if Microsoft were to allow that, since Win7RC is widely available for free.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 25, 2009 11:33:36 PM

You can use a dell oem vista dvd to get around your proprietary windows copy. After formatting and reinstalling vista, just activate online using the product coa number on the side of your case. I did this with my compaq presario after changing boards. The dell dvd's are sold at some software venders, such as 9software, and a few others listed on pricewatch under "operating system". You can also google it.
m
l
Related resources
July 26, 2009 12:25:27 AM

I came across this article which, if i understand it correctly, says that the Windows 7 RC will count as a qualifying previous version. So would I be able to install that after installing the new motherboard and have everything work after I upgrade to the real thing?

"The only good news I learned from all of this, is that the Windows 7 RC will serve as a qualifying previous version (assuming of course that it’s activated)."

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_7_upgrade...

m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 3:33:40 AM

If you already have a premium or pro version of xp or vista. Vista home basic doesn't qualify for the recent upgrade sale. I had one ordered, but cancelled when I found out my vista basic wouldn't qualify.
m
l
July 29, 2009 9:17:46 PM

so using the Windows 7 RC and then upgrading to the real thing would not work, right?
m
l
July 31, 2009 12:08:12 AM

anybody?
m
l
!