Sign in with
Your question

Trying to cool SLI GTX 480

Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2010 7:24:55 PM

So I just built my first computer and it works to say the least and everything is running fine with the exception of the GPU's run HOT! I am new to computer building and just started OCing this one. I know that the 480's are notorious for running really hot but I'd like to do something to keep the temps below what they are currently running.

I have no idea how to run water cooling loops so I'm going to nix that idea. My question is this, what options do I have out there that will cool my 2 GPU's and keep them at least under 75 C? Here is my setup:

Case: Silverstone RV02
Fans: 3 x 180mm Air Penetrator AP181 fans (the aftermarket ones) that sit in the bottom of the chassis. 1 x stock 120mm exhaust fan
HSF: Prolimatech Megahalems HS on the CPU and a push/pull 120mm fan setup on the HS.
GPU: 2 x GTX 480's in SLI on slots 1 and 3 of the Mobo
Mobo: EVGA e760 classified x58

Because the case has the mobo turned at 90 deg, I am getting confused. I would think I would want the air to flow in the vertical direction towards the vents and exhaust fan basically blowing over the GPU's but I am new and like I said, have only built this one computer and since it is in a non-traditional case I don't know how to mount something without blocking things.

Any suggestions and diagrams would be awesome. The picture below is the case, the megahalems is mounted in. The second picture isn't my build, it's some oter guys but the megahalems is mounted the same so its just for visuals. (can't take a picture of mine because I'm at work! sorry)

More about : cool sli gtx 480

a c 330 K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 8:24:08 PM

Define how 'hot' your GPUs are running at. Remember, most graphics cards are designed to run close to 100C without shutting down, but I would't recommend temps over 85C if possible. Can you post ambient and load temps?

BTW, you are going to need a decent wad of cash to afford the loop you are wanting...probably close to $450, at least.
m
l
September 7, 2010 8:36:56 PM

The GPUs under ambient are running around 55 C and under load are running at 87-90 C. I keep my room at around 68 F.

I've had it shut down once since I've been running it (two weeks) but at that time I was in full-screen gaming mode and don't know how hot the GPUs were running.

I am looking more for information until I get my next paycheck and after that the money won't be a big factor and I can likely afford to pay the $400 it will cost. Thanks for the quick reply.
m
l
Related resources
a c 330 K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 8:42:43 PM

To tell what your GPUs are running during load, download and install something like RealTemp or RivaTuner. Most of these monitoring tools have the ability to write to a log file which is helpful because Alt+Tabbing out of a game causes your load to fall off and not report temps as high.

I'd try pulling the side of the case off and blowing a house fan into the the case and running at loads again...and see what your temps are when airflow isn't an issue (due to the big CFM fan).

If you get decent load temps that way, consider looking into some better case fans...unless you really want to go watercooling, regardless.
m
l
September 7, 2010 9:39:20 PM

I will try that, and wouldn't want to go with water cooling but rather air cooling if I have room to switch out the stock HS to a VGA cooler (air). Can you do the accelero xtreme plus in SLI?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 2:07:52 AM

Do you mind noise? You can easily increase your GPU's fan speed to cool them better, but it will be noisy.

Another way to help temps (I have done this and it decreased by 3C or so.) is to replace the card's stock thermal paste with some high quality stuff. Every 480 I have taken apart or seen pictures of had way too much paste on them. If you really want to see results and get down to the nitty gritty, you can lap your GPU and heatsink to be perfectly flat.

Another option is to order some high-flow brackets for the back of the card to increase air flow out of the case. Not sure about general public, but if you have EVGA products, they will pay for the shipping on them and then they cost a few bucks. If you don't want to buy them, you could easily remove the bracket yourself and saw the holes larger.
Here's a pic of the stock vs high-flow:

m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 4:45:09 AM

No way can two 480s in SLI in the close slots stay under 75C under load. Barely in idle. You make a massive case air flow, blow fans everywhere to help. They can happily operate at 105C max, so no worry about load temps. Crank the GPU fan profiles way up, learn to live with it. Many do.

Or go watercooling.
2x GPU blocks $230+
Radiator $100+
Pump $70
Res $25 to ++ if you NEED a custom Star Trek hand made reactor core $170
Hose and fittings $50
Fans $20 to $60 or even more.

So, $500 or so. And it will be quieter than your CPU cooler, load temps at the max in the low 60's or so.

If water interests you, start with the stickie up top. Some beginning info, and links to actual, real watercooling forums.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 5:03:08 AM

Conumdrum said:
No way can two 480s in SLI in the close slots stay under 75C under load. Barely in idle. You make a massive case air flow, blow fans everywhere to help. They can happily operate at 105C max, so no worry about load temps. Crank the GPU fan profiles way up, learn to live with it. Many do.

Or go watercooling.
2x GPU blocks $230+
Radiator $100+
Pump $70
Res $25 to ++ if you NEED a custom Star Trek hand made reactor core $170
Hose and fittings $50
Fans $20 to $60 or even more.

So, $500 or so. And it will be quieter than your CPU cooler, load temps at the max in the low 60's or so.

If water interests you, start with the stickie up top. Some beginning info, and links to actual, real watercooling forums.

I beg to differ sir. I have 2 back to back that never go more than a couple over 70C. (By no means is it quiet though... I just don't mind, I'm a headphones guy.) Water cooling is very desirable, but $500... is a very hefty chunk of money.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 4:17:26 PM

Red, good point. Yep, with the right fannage and fan profiles you can really make a difference. Like to know more how you do it. Got a person asking but can't do water.

For the silent cravers, yep, WC is expensive for sure.
470's SLI, I put them under water a few months ago.
m
l
!