Need some assistance: BSOD on EP45-UD3P

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Blue Screen
  • Motherboards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
July 26, 2009 3:38:07 AM

I just purchased and built a system (specs below) and have dealt with constant instability. I am looking for a stable system at this time rather than OC. I am getting regular BSODs throughout the Windows install process and boot process after the install. I have swapped out memory and video card but the problem continues. I tried setting CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) and CPU EIST Function to disabled based upon other forums, but this did not help either:

Any help would be most appreciated.

Specs -
EP45-UD3P
Q9550
8GB GSKILL CL5-5-5-15 (4 modules x 2048MB)
HIS 4670 512MB GDDR3 Turbo
Smilodon Raidmax 500w case
RAID 0 (2x 640GB WD WD6401AALS)
MS VISTA HOME PREM X64

More about : assistance bsod ep45 ud3p

a c 178 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 3:37:32 PM

First thing to do is take out all but one RAM stick, the one in the DDR2_1 slot, and at powerup, enter the BIOS and execute the "Load Optimized Defaults" function. If you have the patience for it, download a copy of MemTest86+ here:
http://home.att.net/~chip.programmer/Memtest86/memtest8...
and test your sticks, one at a time, at least for a full pass; preferably overnight.
If not, we can just go forward and see if it works...
Put all your RAM back in, and so the following:

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

"Legacy USB storage detect" (in newer BIOS, sometimes called "USB Storage Function" to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to "64-bit"

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********

"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"

******** Mother Board Voltage Control ********

>>> MCH/ICH
"MCH Core" to "1.200" (a tenth 'bump' for four sticks...)

>>> DRAM
"DRAM Voltage" to "2.050" - this may already be set to 2.100 by the 'Optimized Defaults', if it is, leave it there for testing; but, if you have the RAM I think you do (F2-8500CL5D - robin's egg blue?) it will likely run at the lower voltage, which means it'll run cooler; my 8g is at 2.0V running 1080...

<F10> save & Exit, and give 'er a try!!

Getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults.

There is a mild, easy on the hardware overclock here, if you're interested in taking a peek:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/260710-30-ep45-ud3p-b...
July 26, 2009 6:39:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions bilbat and zipzoomflyhigh. Much appreciated. I will do some further testing with what you have provided.

In answer to your questions:

zipzoomflyhigh - no, i have not checked for Gskill recommendations. I will do that. also, you mentioned that my 500w was not adequate. I simply went by the very high ratings at newegg. should i consider getting another one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

bilbat - yes, you are right on the memory type:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
thanks for the suggestions. i will get back to you once i have worked through them.
Related resources
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 6:57:03 PM

By the way, regarding power; someone posted this the other day regarding a RAM problem:
http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX8500D2K2_4G.pdf
I was very interested to see this: "Power 1.584 W (operating per module)"; my offhand guess would have been a lot higher...
a b V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 7:27:45 PM

Its a known issue that installing windows with 8G of ram can cause problems. Install with 2 or 4g then run updates, and add your ram. You should be good to go. Your power supply is powerful enough for your rig.

Also running 8g will require .2 v increase over stock recomendations.
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 7:41:31 PM

Say what? I use a boot manager, have XpProX86&X64; VistaUltX86&X64; and Win7βRC1X86&X64; all were installed with 8G in the box with nary a hitch; the two flavors of 7 probably a cumulative total of eight times in the last six or so months... My guess: a lot of people with eight gig don't have a stable eight gig; most MOBOs require tweaking to successfully (and stably) run eight; four will usually be stable at stock settings, once the MOBO has been 'forced' to read and set to the EPP values by a "Load Optimized Defaults" (exception: 4 x 1 setups; for some reason, 4 x 1 seems to be harder to get 'tweaked' than 4 x 2 - go figure!). The win installers are a pretty good 'stress test' all by themselves...
July 26, 2009 10:23:34 PM

One more question as I am working through this. When I built the system, I found that my PS ATX 12v was a 2x2 rather than a 2x4. The MB is of course 2x4. After some forum surfing i found that you could plug in the 2x2 into the pins that fit. I did so. However, I am now wondering (in light of my problems with BSOD) if this might be contributing to the issue.

I will continue to work through the suggestions above, but thought I would throw this out there just in case a Q9550 is in need of the 2x4. If this MIGHT be contributing, should I get the 2x2 > 2x4 adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...), or a new PS?
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 11:01:10 PM

ahhh - that's a ninety-five watt processor (unless you've got the 9550s low-power [65W] version - you should know as you would have paid extra for it, it carries sSpec# SLGAE); you're getting up into the territory where you probably do want the 2x4; my offhand guess is that it might run OK so long as you're running everything completely stock - voltages, frequencies... The adapter situation is pretty much an unknown, as well. The web site for your case doesn't really give much useful info: number of rails, current available on each; I finally found and pulled down the manual, and it's not much better. The adapters are so cheap, the best thing would probably be to just get one and try it - but make the changes above first - might cure the whole problem. If you want to do any kind of serious overclock, the power supply is probably your weakest link, but that doesn't mean you can't try it to find out. If you're going to get an adapter, you might be better off to buy it locally, if you can, as shipping will likely be higher than the part, unless you can combine it with some other purchases...
July 26, 2009 11:15:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback, bilbat. Looks like I should have done more homework on my power supply before I purchased. Lesson learned. I will move forward with what I have for now as you suggested.

If you have some suggestions for what to look for in a power supply (or models you recommend), I would appreciate it. Might just get a new one at some point instead of the adapter. Hate to throw good money after bad.
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 26, 2009 11:47:47 PM

I use Zalmans, but there are any number of really good ones out there; what you want to do is download the manuals first - if the manufacturer doesn't make it easy to get, or if it's not thorough, pass on it. What you're looking for is something like this:

not the specific numbers, but actual disclosure (compare this page to the manual for your PSU); you want at least a couple of twelve volt rails, with full specs...
July 28, 2009 2:50:04 AM

bilbat -
Looking good so far. I ran numerous passes on each RAM stick without error. This evening, I changed the settings to all the ones you suggested (except DRAM voltage; I could only select 2.040V, not 2.050V).

I have been running stable for the past 3 hours on 2GB of RAM. I will try adding additional RAM tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your help so far!
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 28, 2009 3:26:57 AM

Always welcome!

Good luck with testing...

Bill
July 28, 2009 11:41:02 AM

As soon as I put in the full 8GB I experienced numerous BSOD...

I will run more passes on Memtest during the day, but wondered about next steps when I continue my testing.
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 28, 2009 2:17:21 PM

If you're still unstable, bump the RAM to 2.1V; if still unstable, bump the MCH by half a tenth (if available, a full tenth if not...)
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 29, 2009 10:16:18 PM

Quote:
If the G-skill is 2.1v, then it should have been set to 2.1v from the start. I really dont get the logic of starting lower than what the manufacturer recommends.

I have a fair bit of experience with that RAM, and it often runs at or well over spec'd speed at well under spec'd voltage; my policy is, in general, to keep all voltages as low as 'workable' to minimize electromigration issues, which kill more overclocked parts than heat; and, of course, lowering the voltage correspondingly lowers the thermal load, too...
July 30, 2009 1:18:57 AM

Well, I took the RAM to 2.1 and the MCH to 1.260. It started crashing so quickly that I could not even get halfway through the windows boot up.

I then tried taking it back to 2.040v on the RAM and 1.200 on the MCH on 4GB of RAM. It remained stable over the course of 4 hours (longer than I have yet had my machine stable) before losing power due to thunderstorms. So the same settings that worked for 2GB and 4GB would not work for 8GB.

Then I started it up this evening (without making any changes) and it is completely unstable at 4GB again. I am admittedly perplexed.

I have service pack 1 and all available updates (this is 64bit home prem).

In order to eliminate the potential issue of the PSU ATX 12v 2x4 pin, I ordered a new PSU. Just not worth wondering about with all that is going on. Should be here Friday or Monday, so I will run through some of the above settings again once I have that in place.
a c 178 V Motherboard
July 30, 2009 3:58:44 AM

It certainly will be worthwhile to know that that 9550 is being 'fed well' enough to work up to par; no amount of RAM tuning can fix a CPU glitch...

...till the weekend!

Bill
August 6, 2009 12:58:11 AM

Back again. 750w Zalmans powering this thing with the 2x4 ATX 12v. I went back through the instructions above, but 8GB continues to be incredibly unstable. BSODs of various flavors. When I do get into Windows, I last for about 5 minutes. Something is clearly misaligned...any further thoughts would be most welcomed.
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 6, 2009 1:40:17 AM

Have you, by this point, tested each stick of RAM individually, one at a time? At least a full pass of MemTest86+, preferably overnight? Once again, each stick in the slot closest to the CPU, do a "Load Optimized Defaults" to get all the autos set (only need to do this with the first stick - the rest should just use the same setup) right, & let 'er rip - may just be a bad stick (though I've yet to see one...)! Just for general reference, your Load Optimized should result in a 333 host clock (1333 FSB), and 8.5 CPU mult, 2.1 V on the RAM, and the 3.2 memory mult on the 333 latch (strap)...
August 6, 2009 10:35:24 PM

Yes, I tested each stick of Ram.

Last night I tried changing the memory frequency from 1066 to 800, and explicitly stating the memory timings rather than AUTO. I have been stable on 8GB ever since. Seems I am not the only person struggling with stability using a combination of this board and memory -
http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1169

For the time being, I will probably stay on 800MHz, at least until I can find a solid alternate solution.
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 7, 2009 1:28:07 AM

OK - individual testing should have caught any possible hardware problems on any single stick; don't take offense, but I believe the set of parameters that I referred you to should take care of the rest, as it has worked on a few fairly identical systems already, unless you actually have a malfuntion of some sort on the MOBO itself, or have a USB devices triggering one of the panoply of bizarre troubles they can cause - see this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261902-30-gigabyte-ta...

I'm going to repost the parameter set in one chunk, with both stock CPU clocking, and the 20% bump other people have working, just to be sure some critical setting's not been missed, beause the original posting is kind of diffused across a few entries:

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" if using MS', Sun's, or VM_Ware's virtualization s'ware, else "Disabled"
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"
"Dual BIOS Recovery Source" manual doesn't show the alternative, and my BIOS don't have this feature - my guess is it's "Backup" - anyway, we want whatever else it gives other than "HPA", 'cause we haven't created an HPA yet... (whatever an HPA is?) [let me know if you have this; my manuals show it, but no one so far has actually found it in their BIOS]

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "8"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".5"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334" for stock (2.83GHz) CPU timing, "401" for 20% 'bump' to 3.4GHz
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333" for stock CPU timing, "400" for 20% 'bump' to 3.4GHz
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.2" (may have a 'B' or '#' after it) for stock, "2.66" (may have a 'D' after it) for 'bumped'

I think your separate "(G)MCH Frequency Latch" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap', and "Memory Multiplier" may relieve you of having to keep track of these by a cryptic letter or symbol in the multiplier table; with yours, you just tell it 'this one'! The strap is the reason we used a 334 clock instead of a nice even 333: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has it's own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The 3.2 we used (which is actually a 8:5 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 333 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 334 guarantees that we're getting the 333 latencies/timings...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"

>>>>> Standard Timing Control
"CAS Latency Time" to "5"
"tRCD" to "5"
"tRP" to "5"
"tRAS" to "15"

>>>>> Advanced Timing Control (these should have been set by the "Load Optimized Defaults", but in case - check 'em
"tRRD" to "4"
"tWTR" to "4"
"tWR" to "13"
"tRFC" to "68" (may be able to lower later, I run mine at 1080 with 52 here...)
"tRTP" to "4"
"Command Rate (CMD)" to "2"

>>>>> Channel A/B Timings - the only thing you need to check here is:
"Static tRead Value" should be at at least 7

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled" (this works differently on different boards - on mine, it's worse "enabled" than "disabled" - the function is supposed to cure a phenomenon called Vdroop - the CPU voltage regulation circuit causes the CPU core voltage to sag, or 'droop' under high loadings; hopefullt, we're going to be at a low enough voltage to just ignore this...)

"CPU Vcore" to "Auto" for standard timing, "1.3500V" for 'bumped'

>>> MCH/ICH
"MCH Core" to "1.200V" to run four sticks
>>> DRAM
"DRAM Voltage" to "2.1V" (might be expressed as "+.30V" as JEDEC spec is 1.8V, so +.3 is 2.1V)

and an <F10> to save and exit - may reboot twice, let 'er rip!

Good luck!

Bill
August 8, 2009 12:45:37 AM

thanks for all of the information restated. i will take another look at it, perhaps this weekend. the additional 20% "bump" would be nice, too. i appreciate the time you have taken to help me. i will let you know how it goes.
August 8, 2009 1:35:54 PM

In your consolidated info above, the standard timing controls are as follows:

>>>>> Standard Timing Control
"CAS Latency Time" to "5"
"tRCD" to "5"
"tRP" to "5"
"tRAS" to "5"

just want to confirm...is the tRAS supposed to be 5 or 15?
August 8, 2009 1:53:12 PM

is there any chance at all that my RAID 0 config is causing problems...? that seems to be the only other thing I can see that is different from the specs that you have listed...
August 8, 2009 2:31:03 PM

Gigabyte provides a Drivers CD with the mobo. My bios is EP45-UD3P FA. And my memory is listed as 4GB(!) even though I have 8GB installed right now...

Haven't flashed the bios. Should I consider that as well?
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 3:37:22 PM

Quote:
just want to confirm...is the tRAS supposed to be 5 or 15?

Oops! 15, indeed. I edited the post - it's correct now. Isn't it amazing that you can reread your own mistakes (especially spelling) numerous times, and never 'see' the error?

Quote:
is there any chance at all that my RAID 0 config is causing problems...?

Assuming you have the RAID on the Intel ports - no. They are very robust; I have three raid pair on a DS5 (pretty much the same h'ware except for the northbridge - and it's the southbridge that 'does' the RAID) with that ram at 1080 @ 2.05V, and an 1800 FSB - stable as a table, and runs all six 'flavors' of Windoze, as well as a couple of Ubuntus....

Quote:
And my memory is listed as 4GB(!) even though I have 8GB installed right now...

Where, exactly, are you seeing this - it might be a telling point?

Quote:
My bios is EP45-UD3P FA - Haven't flashed the bios. Should I consider that as well?

Well, Id like to give you a cogent answer here, but I can't! GB's damned site is, once again, DOA... I'll try a bit later - they appear to run their web server on an old Apple IIe with 16K of RAM - I've tried two ways to get there, I've tried IE, Chrome, Safari, and FireFox - nobody's home! I've tried a couple of discreet emails to Janus Yeh, their tech rep over at TweakTown - today, I think I'll pay a visit and rub their noses in this issue publicly; it's bad enough that their tech support varies from shoddy to incredibly bad; they have to make the information they do present available to us on demand!
August 8, 2009 4:17:52 PM

Quote:
Oops! 15, indeed. I edited the post - it's correct now. Isn't it amazing that you can reread your own mistakes (especially spelling) numerous times, and never 'see' the error?

No worries here! I figured it for a typo, but wanted to check.

Quote:
Assuming you have the RAID on the Intel ports - no

Not sure exactly what the Intel ports are, but I am using the RAID that is the purple SATA connectors on the board. I am prompted with Ctrl-G when I boot up, if I wish to create or modify my RAID config.

Quote:
Where, exactly, are you seeing this - it might be a telling point?

On the Gigabyte driver CD, when you load the "app", the left column has a bunch of "buttons", one of which is System. Clicking on this brings up the System Information List tab in the main part of the screen. After this, it lists the mobo name, bios version (FA on mine), cpu name (this is correctly identified as the Q9550), memory information (wrongly identified as 4GB of RAM), OS version, and CD version (p45 1.09 B9.0508.1)

-----

I am "more" stable now (i.e. less BSODs) but still crashing every 30-60 minutes...I am getting two kinds of crashes (I think): memory errors and CPU issues (I tried the "bumped" mode you suggested). So, in order to deal with one thing at a time, I brought the CPU back to "normal". If I can resolve the memory issues, I will be far more inclined to go for the extra 20% OC again.
August 8, 2009 4:43:49 PM

cpu-z shows 8GB

just ran prime-95 on a whim. three of the four threads failed in less than 5 seconds with rounding errors. the fourth ran for a minute and then crashed the machine.
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 5:16:37 PM

Quote:
Not sure exactly what the Intel ports are, but I am using the RAID that is the purple SATA connectors on the board.

Eeek! Those are the GB ports, run off a (known to be buggy) jMicron controller chip, which is 'hung off' the southbridge, adding an extra layer of bus protocol to their use; the Intels are roughly 15% faster, and infinitely more stable... Definitely well worth moving their contents and rebuilding the RAID using the Intel BIOS/utilities!

Quote:
On the Gigabyte driver CD, when you load the "app", the left column has a bunch of "buttons", one of which is System.

Eeek again! If this is one of the variants of 'EasyTune' - uninstall it! So buggy and unstable (and, unfortunately, it installs a buggy POC 'stub' into ring zero) that it, alone, could be the cause of all your difficulties. I realize how disconcerting it is to hear that the very system components GB provides on the driver disk can be major troublemakers, but, there it is!

How do your temps look while running Prime? Are we getting good cooling, or are they starting to get high?

August 8, 2009 6:11:41 PM

Quote:
Definitely well worth moving their contents and rebuilding the RAID using the Intel BIOS/utilities!

Heh, heh. I have rebuilt this computer so many times, what is one more round? :) 

I will check out the manual and see if I can figure out the Intel RAID. Faster and STABLE sounds good to me!

Quote:
I realize how disconcerting it is to hear that the very system components GB provides on the driver disk can be major troublemakers

Maybe you could advise me what I should and should not install off the Gigabyte drivers disk. I am guessing I need the LAN drivers since Vista doesn't appear to install them. Anything else worth the time?

Quote:
How do your temps look while running Prime?

Sorry to say that I could not capture much on the temps while Prime95 was running. I gave it two more attempts (keep in mind that this is with the "no OC" setup). It crashes so fast that I can barely capture anything. I briefly saw one core above 60C, the others in the high 50's. I don't think it means anything. It didn't run long enough to count.

a c 178 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 6:56:57 PM

Finally got on GB website - I'm assuming you have board rev 1.6 because of the numbering; you board only lists one higher BIOS rev, and the only correction they list is "FB - Fixed BitLocker can not work" (dontch just love Mandarin to English translations?) - that said, it certainly doesn't mean that this is the only correction made... BIOS flashing is pretty much a matter of taste; I do 'em as a matter of course - whenever a new one becomes available, I burn it. This is not always a guarantee of improvement; my bios went from 8Fa, to 8Fd -for a while, and I found really poor stability under the new one, so went 'back a step'; others must have also reported problems, as a week or two later, F8d 'disappeared' from their site, to be replaced by F8C - which improved things overall... There are inherent risks to your board when 'flashing' a new BIOS; it is possible to 'brick' the board, and need to wait on an RMA; I use a UPS to do flashes, just to prevent the 'Murphy's Law' coincidence of a power outage while flashing; I have trashed a couple flashes, and found the GB backup BIOS loader to work flawlessly - it just 'reverts' to the shipped BIOS. Barring an explicitly cited problem that you are suffering, BIOS flashes are a matter of taste, and confidence in your technique (and I can post you a good one, if you decide to do it...) The one real dire warning is NEVER, NEVER use the GB @BIOS utility to flash your BIOS - you're just asking for irremediable problems, worst of all, a dead MOBO!

I'll go through the drivers, and try to post pointers (or, better yet, the files themselves) to the latest set. In general, don't load any programs (EasyTune or their EnergySaver thingie), do use the 'auto' installer, as it sequences the installations over a few reboots, as some pieces of hardware need other drivers installed first, in order to be 'discovered', and then you can, for the main part, rely on Windoze' update to take care of revisions...
August 8, 2009 7:08:58 PM

Just created the Intel RAID 0. Crashed windows install right out of the gate. Well, at least that is one more possible source of the problem eliminated.

I am now running the standard setup (as you recommended) with Intel RAID 0. Working on getting Vista 64bit back up.

I have seen a number of threads talk about "relaxing the memory timings". Is it time to take a look at that? Should I just remove a couple sticks of memory and try to get 4GB stable? Or is there another direction to go?
August 8, 2009 7:09:52 PM

I think I will hold off on flashing the BIOS for now.
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 7:36:30 PM

Are you working with a fresh install since 're-RAIDing'? Don't forget that you need the Intel 'per-load' drivers to install the OS...
August 8, 2009 8:02:02 PM

Yep. I deleted and rebuilt a new RAID array with Intel. It didn't require any flash/floppy drivers to load the OS (unlike the gigabyte array). It is built, installing Windows Updates and running PRIME95 (blend) for about 10 minutes now.

I pulled the RAM from slots 2 and 4. It is DEFINITELY more stable, although not completely so. I made it 4 minutes before the first FATAL ERROR. The other 3 "workers" are still running. This may not sound like much, but compared to 3 seconds, I am making progress!!! :) 

In answer to your earlier question about temps, I am averaging between 69 and 76. My highs are 79, 72, 76 and 74. What are "unacceptable temps"? Will my temps jumps by 20% if I OC by 20%?

a c 178 V Motherboard
August 8, 2009 9:14:01 PM

That's getting pretty warm; the thermal spec temp, (The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power [TDP] value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.) is 71.4°C; I will research further to get the PROCHOT temp, and find out where thermal throttling occurs (these are things I should know, anyhow - I've got one of 'em! [but mine is 'under water' so the issue for me is moot...])

I may just be missing it (this posting is getting kind of 'long in the tooth, here - we're at what, thirty-eight entries?), but have we discussed your cooling? What are you using? Pretty much any damned thing you can buy is head and shoulders above the stock Intel POC - they are absolutely marginal, at best, definitely no good for any kind of overclock; another point to be made is when you're using 'on-board' RAID, the CPU is actually doing the RAID, which means it's cranked up for every single data read and write... Thermal throttling could be triggering instability; it can be disabled [CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)] in the BIOS, but it's kind of like putting a penny into a blown fuse socket - likely to (to quote an article I looked up researching this) get you a two-hundred-fifty dollar key-fob!

For more info, while I dig deeper, you can peek at these:
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~skadron/tacs/men.pdf
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250642-28-thermal-mon...
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&t...
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB...
http://communities.intel.com/thread/4176?tstart=-1

August 9, 2009 12:57:25 AM

Quote:
I may just be missing it (this posting is getting kind of 'long in the tooth, here - we're at what, thirty-eight entries?), but have we discussed your cooling? What are you using?

Hmmm. Back to newegg. I am currently running stock. Clearly stock on a Q9550 is nowhere near good enough to keep the temps down.

On the positive side, I have been stable for 2 hours on prime95 by running the RAM at 800MHz w/o OC. Stable is good.
a c 178 V Motherboard
August 9, 2009 2:39:16 AM

As an aside, I've got an Arctic Freezer7Pro w/92mm PWM whose harness is already shortened and 'daisy-chained' for a second PWM, & feedback to the PWR_FAN header (have a 50mm PWM on the RAM) that you could have... Advantage - it's already lapped to 1200 or 1600 (forget which); disadvantage, I couldn't get it into UPS 'till Tuesday, my Monday's pretty over-committed, but will be out for some errands anyway Tuesday... If you'd like it, and have the patience, drop me a note at bilbat@wi.rr.com (BTW, it'll do the job - it came off a 3.8 GHz 9550, when it 'went to water'!)