Need advice on memory

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
The folks on this forum have convinced me to build instead of buy and I'm looking for some advice on components.

My system is going to have an ASUS P6T mobo and an Intel Core I7 920 CPU and my plan is to run Windows 7 Business Pro in 64-bit mode. My goal is to build a system with some staying power that will last many years. So here's my questions:

To effectively run Windows 7 in 64-bit mode I will need 6 GB of memory at minimum. I'm looking at buying 3, 2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel memory modules by Corsair for $115. I can also buy 3, 1 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Tri-Channel memory modules by Corsair for $49. My question is this....Since extra memory is so cheap should I buy more than 6 GB? If so should I go with only 3, 1 GB modules for a total of 9 GB or load the system up with 6, 2GB modules for a full 12 GB of memory?

I don't think you'll need more than 6gb, unless you are doing some power computing with CAD or other workstation type stuff. Possibly that is where you are headed with that OS. 6Gb is plenty for gaming. On the other hand if you think 12Gb is really gonna impress some people why not? It's only money.

Moondoggy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

The only thing that worries me is when people suggest the minimum amount. If I buy the memory now I'll have it when the minimum isn't sufficient anymore. I may strike a balance and only go with 9 GB total

If I were you I'd go for 6GB now and leave the other 3 slots open for later. If you fill them with 1GB now then you'll have to discard some memory to expand beyond that. If you leave them open then when it comes time to add memory you'll have the option of adding 3x1 = 3GB (9GB total), 3 x 2 = 6GB (12GB total), or even 3 x 4 = 12GB (18GB total).