Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade to 8 GB of RAM or upgrade my network?

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
July 26, 2009 5:21:52 AM

My internet and vista run very slow, I am currently running on 4GB of Gskill. Also my network only has 3 people connecting to it plus my 360, my router is a wireless G, should I upgrade it to wireless N?

Also, I just got a laptop from my brother. Nothing nice, it uses SODIMM DDR memory and is upgradable to 1.5 GB but currently only has 512MB RAM, Should I upgrade that too?

Desktop System Specs:
Gigabyte GA-ep45-UD3P
2 500GB WD HDD
Intel Q9550 (2.83)
4 GB Gskill DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Coolermaster HAF Case
Coolermaster V8
MSI ATI 4870 GPU w/custom heatsink
2 22x DVD Reader/Burners
running windows vista home basic

EDIT: Sorry I think some people didn't reply because it said "36 people", Only 3 people connect to the wireless router plus my 360
July 26, 2009 5:28:01 PM

Yes, more menory for your cumputer would help, but you need to be on a 64 bit type of OP system of windows if not, upgrade to windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit some time after Oct. 22, 2009. Upgrade to a dual channel N-router, it will speed your internet up.
July 26, 2009 6:02:19 PM

Upgrading your computer to 8 gigs of ram may give you some increase in performance if you use a lot of applications. With basic gaming and internet use - you will see very little if any increase in performance. Although 8 gigs would give you the ability to remove your paging file - however I doubt the over all upgrade is worth it.

Upgrading your Router to wireless N will not make your internet any faster - it will only increase your transfer speeds internally with your other computers. Your internet speed is determined by your ISP.

It may be worth it to upgrade the laptop though. A 1 gig increase would help applications to load faster and give you overall performance increases. Newegg sells 1 gig sticks for $30-45.

Hope this helps!
Related resources
July 26, 2009 9:39:25 PM

jfreggie said:
Upgrading your computer to 8 gigs of ram may give you some increase in performance if you use a lot of applications. With basic gaming and internet use - you will see very little if any increase in performance. Although 8 gigs would give you the ability to remove your paging file - however I doubt the over all upgrade is worth it.

Upgrading your Router to wireless N will not make your internet any faster - it will only increase your transfer speeds internally with your other computers. Your internet speed is determined by your ISP.

It may be worth it to upgrade the laptop though. A 1 gig increase would help applications to load faster and give you overall performance increases. Newegg sells 1 gig sticks for $30-45.

Hope this helps!

Yea my ISP recently Inceased my speed to 1.5 Mb/s but currently with my wirless G router I only get max speeds of 345 Kb/s. I don't know If it matters, but my MoBo has dual LAN.

I guess I should also say that I have a wired connection and everyone else in my house (other 2 people) use a wireless connection
July 27, 2009 5:46:45 AM

If you mean 1.5 Mb/s, it is unlikely that your router is slowing you down, though if I assume that you later mean 345KB/s, that doesn't really jive either (max theoretical for 1.5Mb/s should be like 190KB/s).

Be careful when posting network/internet speeds. There is a very large difference between 'M' and 'G' (factor of 1000) and also 'B' and 'b' (factor of 8).
July 27, 2009 6:27:05 AM

spinny said:
If you mean 1.5 Mb/s, it is unlikely that your router is slowing you down, though if I assume that you later mean 345KB/s, that doesn't really jive either (max theoretical for 1.5Mb/s should be like 190KB/s).

Be careful when posting network/internet speeds. There is a very large difference between 'M' and 'G' (factor of 1000) and also 'B' and 'b' (factor of 8).

Yes sorry, I meant Mb/s and Kb/s. I had a stupid moment I just didn't fix it.
July 27, 2009 6:56:16 PM

That's probably 1.5megabits and you're downloading at 320kilobytes/sec. You're actually doing very well for that speed. I've had 1.5, 2, and right now have a dedicated 3mb line at work (testing purposes only...lol) and I look at 350kbps download. We have 16mb at home and I've seen 3mb/s (megabytes) on certain sites, and that's before we had a signal problem fixed ^.^

Because you will probably never get internet that lets you download the max speed of your network (probably only a few hundred megabytes/sec), you won't see any gains by upgrading your router. In other words, unless your ISP can guarantee that you can download 1 gigabyte of data every few seconds (yes, hi-def movie kind of data), your router is perfectly fine.

IN FACT, a recent Tom's article shows that a computer's HDD speed is still the bottleneck when transfering files between two PCs on a meager 100mb/s network. So, if you want to maximize your speed, upgrade your HDD to something faster for internal file-transfers, and internet speed is only a few percent of what your WiFi can handle.
!