Last response: in Overclocking
September 7, 2010 10:06:02 PM

Hey all, first time OCer here.

I've got my 440 overclocked to 3.6 (from 3.0) as follows

Clock: 240MHz
Core Voltage: 1.392V
NB and HT Link: 1920MHz
RAM: DDR2 1066 at 960

I have a Rocketfish cooler that is virtually identical to a Cooler Master TX3.

I'm getting bluescreens if I go any higher. I was wondering if this is likely a result of a voltage problem or something else? How high can I push the voltage, anyway?

Mobo cpu sensor is reading 55C at full load, but before I turned on the 4th core, the reading was about 10C higher than the actual core readings.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated.
a b K Overclocking
September 7, 2010 10:08:59 PM

You most likely need to raise the voltage to get more there should be an option in the bios though you don't want to go much higher if you are already at 55C.
m
l
September 7, 2010 10:44:06 PM

I raised the voltage to 1.440V and the fsb to 250, and it's still bsoding. :( 

EDIT: The STOP code is BE which is a memory issue.

I've read that there's some kind of issue with AM2+/AM3 boards and RAM frequency while using them as Dual Channel. Could that be an issue?

The ram is OCZ Platinum ddr2
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 3:55:08 AM

After unlocking, most cpu's will not reach their full overclocking potential. There is anecdotal evidence for this all over the web. Actually, 3.6 Ghz is very good for an unlocked CPU. I've seen a few of the black edition X2's reach 3.7 Ghz, and claims of 3.8 but I have not seen this with a cpu-z validation.

f you want to see if you can get 3.8 Ghz from this CPU, I would lock the 4th core again and try increasing the reference clock.

Some of the unlocked CPU's I've seen can only reach 3.2 Ghz, so you should probably consider yourself lucky to be stable at 3.6.
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 4:13:11 AM

The core that was locked is faulty or doesn't meet specs. So an unlocked processor will never overclock as much as a locked processor.

For example the Athlon x3 445 I bought for someone last week clocked 3.9Ghz on stock voltage. I didn't want to unlock since stability issues can occur with a core that didn't cut the make the team. I don't want to be held accountable for blue screens lol.

Anyway the sheer clock speed using only 3 cores can definitely beat out an unlocked processor at low threaded applications.

Though a 4th core will almost always be better at highly threaded applications.

Yet most don't are not optimised for more than 2-3 threads anyway.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 9:48:15 AM

I am running my unlocked 550BE at 3.7 now, I did get 3.8 stable but only with the voltage set at 1.5 which ran the voltage at 1.52. When I had a TX3 I could only get 3.55 due to temps.
m
l
September 13, 2010 9:48:19 PM

Best answer selected by g33j.
m
l
!