Sign in with
Your question

Hdd errors fixing...

Last response: in Storage
August 30, 2010 6:09:28 PM

I was downloading some stuff from last 2 days so my pc as on all the time. When i was shutting down my pc it was not properly shut down so i lost the data that i was downloading but instead sectors over 100000 were not written correctly so now there are errors on my hdd windows cant open the drive and even scan so i started to scanning my hdd with hdd regenerator 1.71 which is taking days to fix my errors. Is there any software which can scan my hdd quickly. i dont want to recover the data which is not written properly because recover will be around 90% and my files were over 7 GB in size so the recovery will not work for me. So some software will work for me which will write zeros on damaged sectors instead of trying to repair and wasting time. Do anyone know any software like that?

More about : hdd errors fixing

a c 342 G Storage
August 30, 2010 7:29:04 PM

If you want to really destroy all your old data on the drive and make it like a brand new empty drive, the best tool is a zero-fill process, preferably done by a disk diagnostic utility from your HDD manufacturer. What this does is write all zeroes to EVERY sector on the HDD (and that can take MANY hours to do!). As that is done, every sector automatically will be read again and checked to verify the data are correct and the signals are strong. Because of hidden background routines on the HDD itself, any weak sectors will be replaced with spare good ones. When the process is finished, EVERY sector will be full of zeroes and known to be good. THEN you start as if the HDD were brand new and empty - you must Create one or more Partitions and Format it (them) before you can use.

THIS WILL TOTALLY DESTROY ANY AND ALL DATA ON THE DISK!

If your HDD is by Seagate, go to their website and download their package Seatools for DOS. Get the "for DOS" version which you must burn to your own disk to use. (There are versions for floppy or CD-R). You set your machine to boot from the (floppy or) optical drive, place the disk in it, and boot. It loads a mini-DOS into RAM and you run all tests and stuff from a menu. Zero Fill may be under Advanced options. Seatools for DOS will ONLY do some important things (like the Zero-Fill) on a Seagate drive.

IF your drive is from WD, get their Data Lifeguard for DOS and use it similarly.

If you are going to burn one of these to a CD-R, the file you download will be an .iso image of the final disk. You will need burning software like Nero that is capable of making a CD-R from an .iso image file.

The advantage of these versions of these tools is that they can load and work on a machine with no functioning HDD and no loadable OS. The OS is loaded from the CD-R.

Because these operations are destructive, I recommend a caution in your case. It appears the HDD you want to fix is a data disk only, and your OS and valuable files are on another HDD in it. DISconnect all the other drives in the machine and leave ONLY the bad drive connected so there is NO chance the operations will damage good data. Reconnect AFTER the Zero-Fill is done and you are ready to boot up and use Windows (or whatever OS) to get the repaired drive set up again.
m
l
August 31, 2010 5:25:40 PM

Thanks for your quick response.Well now i am in a bit confusion i don't know weather my HDD has unrepairable bad sectors.My Hdd is not making noise or what they call it sound of death but when i scanned it with HDD tuner software it called the sector as bad which were fixed by HDD regeneration 1.71 software well the data on the HDD is useful which is on working the sectors. So i will try to fix the bad sector with HDD regenerator 1.71 till the head disk is readable by windows then i will copy my useful data from the HDD to some other HDD then i will fill the HDD with zeros as u have suggested then format and then 1 more scan to make sure weather the HDD is healthy or not. i was asking this question for any replacement for HDD refrigerator 1.71 because it is slow. HDD refrigerator is on 50% percent now so it will take 2 or 3 more days. its a long process is there any shortcut. Is there any good software for checking HDD health and HDD refrigerator 1.71's replacement if it is quick in processing?
m
l
Related resources
September 1, 2010 5:45:29 AM

i have recovered my data from the HDD with some Linux partion software on Ultimate boot CD. How to make sure weather HDD has physical damage on it or logical damage.
m
l
a c 342 G Storage
September 1, 2010 4:15:19 PM

If you have all of your files recovered, that's great! It is possible that a few may contain sectors with data errors. IF that is found, and IF you can find out exactly which file(s) have errors in them, you can look for ways to replace the files, then delete the old versions that contain the errors.

It can be very hard to distinguish between physical damage and logical data errors located on sectors with no physical damage. Probably the handiest tool is Windows' CHKDSK to start with. It will read everything and find any sectors where the data read operation is not right. For each of those it will substitute a different sector and mark the suspect sector in its own file tracking system never to be used again. However, it cannot fix the erroneous data, so your file ends up with bad data in it, and you have the task of replacing it and getting rid of the bad version.

Hard drive diagnostic software (Seatools for DOS for Seagate drives, the DOS version of Data Lifeguard for WD drives, for example) have short and long tests for their drives which are NOT data destructive. They will do scans for bad sectors, too, in a manner different from CHKDSK, and let you know if there is a problem. In a few cases they may be fixable. There also are tools in those packages which check the SMART data that the HDD unit has stored, and these can tell you whether there are more errors that normally tolerable for several error types. That information can guide you whether the HDD is getting worse and should be replaced before a serious problem happens. Or, it might tell you don't worry, things are OK.

In general, if you have corrupted data written to a good sector, these tests will NOT find it. A sector and these tests do not care (and cannot even tell) whether the data makes any sense in the real world. All they know is whether the data can be written and read back exactly as it started out. So in a way, if CHKDSK and the diagnostic utilities tell you there are NO bad sectors in use, and yet some other tools tells you that a particular file contains corrupted data, that is a software data error, not a physical problem on the HDD.
m
l
!