Need some advice on cleaning heatsink

haiku

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hi there, I've been checking my computer temps recently and they're considerably higher than some months ago (processor goes up to 75c on each core after half hour of full tat load) Since I haven't cleaned the heatsink of dust and changed the thermal compound ever since I bought the computer 2 years ago I thought I'd give that a try and see if its the issue.

The processor is a e6600 at stock speed with an asus v-nardo heatsink: http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=16&l2=66&l3=0&l4=0&model=1303&modelmenu=1

However I'm quite inexperienced at hardware (all I've done is changing hard drives and 5.25 units) so I'm a bit afraid of damaging the cpu in the process. I'm wondering if it would be too hard to clean the thermal pad off the cpu without removing it from the socket or the motherboard from the case?

I've heard that these thermal pads have chewin gum-like consistence and can get pasted to the heatsink, in case that happens can I safely pull the heatsink to separate it?

Also what would be the best way to clean off the thermal pad? I've read that most people use a plastic card to remove the most of it and then use a piece of coffee filter with alcohol to remove the remaining, would that be alright?

Thanks for your answers and forgive my bad english

OP has it mostly correct. Except a thermal 'pad' can be a real pain to remove. On the other hand, thermal 'compound' can be removed with a soft cloth and isoprophyl alcohol. A thermal pad may have to be forced off. A plastic scraper or perhaps a credit card might supply enough force to remove a 'pad'. Then use a soft cloth and alcohol to finsh up the clean job on the heatsink and CPU cover.

OP should consider cleaning the dust from case and blowing out the case fans as well as the CPU/HSF itself. A case with poor airflow can cause considerable heat to to the system components, CPU, RAM, NB, etc. Adding a case fan can make a difference in temps. A case with an open front mesh provides a lot of open area for fresh air to be drawn in. An exhaust fan can be installed to pull hot air to the back of the case and expelled.

haiku

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Well I've bought some arctic clean with the new thermal paste so the alcohol won't be a problem. Also my computer's case has quite poor airflow (2 80 mm fan, one in the side pulling fresh air inside and the other one in the back extracting the hot air, the psu has also a fan that helps a bit extracting the hot air) but I never had such bad cpu temps in the 2 years that I have it. I ordered 2 120mm fans last week to replace the one in the back and the other one I'll install it in the front, the side one can't be replaced since there are only holes for a 80 mm fan.

About removing the heatsink and cpu I've been reading more about it and I have a few more doubts, maybe you can help me with it:

1. What's the best way to be 100% sure I have discharged all the static electricity I could have?( I don't have one of those wrists) Touching the metal of my case or the ground connection of a power plug outlet is a good way?(not sure if it's called like this in english)

2. Can I damage the cpu by pulling the heatsink too hard in case the thermal pad gets stuck to the cpu and hs?

3. Once I remove the cpu from the socket can I leave it in my table over a sheet of paper or could I damage the contacts by doing this?

4. I've read this in the intel guide for socket 775 installation and I don't really understand what it means: Note: Apply pressure to corner with right-hand thumb when opening or closing load lever - otherwise lever will bounce back (as a mouse trap) causing bent contacts.

How can that lever cause bent contacts if it doesn't touch the socket at all?

5. How do I install back the processor, do I simply leave it over the socket aligning it correctly with the pin 1 and close the load plate or do I have to push the processor a bit?

And last but not least I plan to let the processor work for a while with tat so the thermal pad gets hot and is easier to remove but I'm wondering how much time should I wait after I shutdown to be safe to touch the components without getting a discharge.

And that's about it, so many noob questions, I hope somebody bothers to answer :D

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
1) If you've got central heating, grab a radiator, if not then grab a tap or something with pipework that goes through the ground. Also, wear cotton... polyester and nylon have a habit of building up static when you move. So... grab the case with 1 hand and the radiator with another, that'll ensure that everything's nice and static-free.

2) Don't pull it straight off, give it gentle twists back and forth - a slightly bent pin can be straightened, a pin that's been pulled out can't be replaced.

3) Ideally, put it on some cardboard with the contacts facing upwards, and be careful not to spill anything on it (if you're really paranoid, you can always turn over a glass and put it over the CPU)

4) The lever holds down the CPU with a plate, you'll see what it is when you get the HSF off... basically, hold this down while you lift the lever, then gently let it up.

5) I just noticed you said you've got an E6600... they don't have pins, they've got contacts. The CPU slots into the socket (gravity rocks), then the plate applies all the required pressure.

haiku

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hi thanks for all your answers and patience, you've been a great help. However I've done a great mess in such simple operation, must be murphy's law I guess. I'll try my best to explain it:

I unmounted te heatsink easily but the 4 pin cable wouldn't come out, I think you have to press the little button( dont know how to call it) on the connector while you pull it out but I just can't fit my finger inside to do it since there's a heatpipe from the northbridge and there's not enough space to put my finger in there(great motherboard design huh?) I've tried with some tweezers but I couldn't pull with enough force with them and they would slip out. Since the heatsink cable is quite long I gave up and took out the hs without disconnecting it. The rest of the process was very easy, I removed the processor and cleaned both without any problems.

Then I proceed to install everything again, I put the cpu into the socket without problems but then everything went wrong with the heatsink and those bloody pushpins. There are kind of 2 little spikes on each pushpin and they were slightly opened so they wouldn't enter the holes, I tried to press them a bit with my fingers to close them but they would stay too wide too fit. I could only install 2 pushpins correctly the other have 1 of the plastic thingies broken and wont fit entirely. So now I have the pc lying on the floor so the heatsink makes contact.
Temps are about 45 idle on each core. I'm wondering if it's safe to have the computer in this position, I guess I can't use the dvd units but what about the hard drive, can it get any damage by being in this position?

And now I don't know what should I do, I must replace the heatsink but I can't get the cable out without removing the entire heatpipe chipset refrigeration system and that's too much for me, I can take it to a computer store but I'm on a tight budget right now and that will cost some money. Another option I've thought is to cut the cable and leave the connector there, I wouldn't have any problem with the new heatsink since I can plug the cable in a 3 pin system fan that I have free but I don't know if it would be safe to leave the connector there with the cable cut?

haiku

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Well I've been trying to remove the cpu cable 4 pin connector for more than half hour without any success. Here you have a picture of my motherboard http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2007/2156/DS4R2_top.jpg The white rectangle above the northbridge is the cpu connector...as you can see it's very badly positioned with that heatpipe so close. The only thing left to do I can think of is to cut the cable and leave the connector there, but I want to be sure that doing so won't create any complications.

I mean, if I leave the connector there the electricity will still run across the cable, I'm going to isolate the cable with insulating tape but I'm wondering that even if I isolate the cables and they don't touch anything can there still be any risk of shortcircuit or any other problem?

Can you remove the heatsink first. Then simply unplug the 4 pin HSF connector from the MB with the heatsink removed? The Vnardo HSF is a push pin type unit. Carefully use a screwdriver to put the push pin locks in the unlock position and pull the push pins up and out of the MB and remove the unit. Ubplug the fan.

haiku

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I know, I removed the heatsink before to clean it but even with the heatsink out the cable won't come out.

r_manic

Administrator
I honestly wouldn't know if leaving the cable connector in would be bad. I wouldn't do it though, since you'll be breaking an HSF, and afaik may make your mobo think you have a working cooler when there's none(?).