Comp not reading data drive

opexx

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2010
I installed a 250 gig IDE hard drive for a data drive. But the computer isn't reading it, even in bios.... I can tell the hard drive is getting power and running though.. Any ideas what I can do?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If the BIOS cannot "see the drive at all, here's a checklist:
1. This is an IDE device, so check all jumpers and connectors:
(a) On the one port and cable it is connected to, I will assume you have THREE connectors on the cable. The BLUE one on one end must plug into the mobo port. The BLACK one of the other end should plug into the device set as Master (see (b) below). The GRAY in the middle should plug into the Slave (if there is one).
(b) There MUST be ONE Master device on the port / cable. If this is the ONLY device on this port and cable, it MUST have its jumper set to Master. Use the diagram on the drive to see how to set the jumper. On some drives there MAY be a difference between Master with No Slave Present and Master with Slave. IF, on the other hand, there are two devices on the cable, you still need to set ONE as the Master, and the other as the Slave. If you have a mix of one HDD and one optical drive sharing a cable, set the HDD up as Master and the optical unit as Slave.
(c) Only alternative jumper setting system is to set jumpers on BOTH units to "CS" (Cable Select). Then the one on the BLACK (end) connector WILL be the Master.
(d) The above applies to EACH IDE port separately if you have two on your mobo. That is, EACH IDE port MUST have a Master to work, and MAY also have a Slave.

2. I assume you also have plugged in a 4-pin Molex power supply connector from the PSU.

3. Boot into BIOS Setup - usually that means holding down the "Del" key while you power on until the BIOS opening menu screen appears. Go to where the IDE ports are configured and make sure they are Enabled. The Disk Type usually should be set to "AUTO" so the BIOS can automatically figure out the settings it needs.

4. If the BIOS still cannot see the HDD, you could have a bad: (a) power supply connection; (b) ribbon cable for data; or, (c) HDD unit itself.