Cpu = 3.2 Quad x4 955 oc to 3.9 On air via Noctua NH-C12P SE14
Ram = 4gb 1066 ddr2 OCZ fatal1ty
Mobo = Asus m3a78-cm
HDD = WD Black 640gb 32mb cache
Gpu = XFX Radeon HD 5770 XXX 1GB
PSU = ETASIS ET750 True 750W

Windows 7 64-bit Enterprise.

So I am wondering about the new SSD's.
I hear the best upgrade would be adding a ssd with my windows and games.
Then use my WD 640gb for media storage.

Can anyone suggest a fast , name brand , 60-80gb ssd.
With a 3yr+ warranty?
Or should I wait for the price to drop or are newer faster ones due to release any day now?

The best ssd I can find for price / performance atm in canada.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53423&vpn=CSSD-F60GB2-BRKT&manufacture=Corsair

$145 after MIR - $175 before.

Any suggestions?

Btw I'm not familiar with raid 0 or how to configure it so I just want 1 ssd.

I understand windows 7 64 bit takes about 20gb so I will be only installing 1 game "Combat Arms"which is about 1.5gb or less.

Which in turn would only take up about 22gb.

Is the rule with ssd and hdd the same with the more space you take up on the device the slower it would be?

If you need more info just post I will reply.

Hmm hope I can get some answers.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

HDDs perform gradually slower as you move closer to the end of the drive (centre of the platter) because less area is covered by the drive head per rotation than around the outside. SSDs don't really slow down until you reach the end, where the difference can be quite dramatic. A drive filled to the max with mostly static data that is never deleted or overwritten will also suffer excessive wear in certain areas of the NAND. An SSD with more overprovisioned NAND (all SSDs have more space available than is visible to the OS to spread wear around) will be less affected by both problems than a drive with less. Really small...

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010

The OCZ Vertex 2 60 Gb is the best SSD drive in that storage/price range currently...I believe it comes with a 3 year manufacturer warranty.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550&cm_re=vertex_2-_-20-227-550-_-Product

If you can wait, I would wait for the next string of SSDs to come out as it doesn't seem it will be too long before that happens, and you can pick up better price or better performance.

Now on this, I could be totally wrong, but I believe using that drive I just linked with Windows 64 bit, you shouldn't see much if any of a drop of as the SSD fills up. If you were using a different OS you might have to get an "enterprise" version of the SSD (I believe the 50gb version of that same drive) which has a built in method of deterring that exact problem. Some one with more knowledge than me would probably have a better handle on this part of your post.

randomizer

Champion

HDDs perform gradually slower as you move closer to the end of the drive (centre of the platter) because less area is covered by the drive head per rotation than around the outside. SSDs don't really slow down until you reach the end, where the difference can be quite dramatic. A drive filled to the max with mostly static data that is never deleted or overwritten will also suffer excessive wear in certain areas of the NAND. An SSD with more overprovisioned NAND (all SSDs have more space available than is visible to the OS to spread wear around) will be less affected by both problems than a drive with less. Really small drives (40GB and less) are particularly susceptible as they often have 3GB or less of overprovisioned NAND.

Solution

josh2hot

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Ok thanks a lot to both people who voiced their opinions and facts .
I will wait for the next round of ssds to come out hopefully the about mentioned ssds 60gb sandforce hit about $100 even so I can swipe one.

How long will the average ssd last if I install windows 7 + 1 game and never add/remove anything?