Camcorders and Furewire/USB

Sheriffjer

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Well, I've been reading all the posts and they are very informative. I just need to know one thing. I too am having the same problem with trying to use Premiere Pro to capture on a new soney camcorder. This camcorder (DVR-610) uses the mini DVD and or a memory stick. The problem is that I have only one port to plug into to trnasfer video and it's the USB one. Does firewire have a pin exactly matching what a USB would have? If not then I nguess Sony in all it's wisdom left out the ability to have it's digital video captured by a digital video editing program, which makes me wonder who the hell is designing these things. If I had realized that I would never have bought it. Now I can transfer to a program (utility came with camera) and then I have to convert it from Mpeg-2 to WMVfile. It's cumbersome but it works. The problem is that I now have two copies of this huge piece of video on omy hardrive and I have to cut it in Premiere. Does this lose any frames? IS this as good for quality as a direct capture? Also, am I just stupid, and if I pt an firewire on the pc I can hook it up to the camera using the same port as the USB?
Thanks
Jerry L

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Firewire and USB are 100% incompatible. None whatsoever. They are different interfaces.