Sign in with
Your question

HELP with overclocking AMD 965BE with ASRock 870 Extreme3...

Last response: in Overclocking
September 8, 2010 8:22:58 AM

I've never overclocked before but am super interested in getting the best performance possible. Basically I need to know the best/most that i can overclock the AMD Phenom II 965BE 125W (WITH ONLY STOCK COOLER) on the ASRock 870 Extreme3.

I purchased the items at Newegg because most reviewers said that the ASRock 870 Extreme3 was very feature rich in the BIOS for overclocking (like just a 1 "click" kind of thing). Some claimed getting all the way up to like 3.74GHz on stock cooler which would be fantastic and the speed i would be looking for (a 10% overclock).

Is it really as easy as just... going to the "Load Optimized CPU OC Setting, Press Enter, Select 10% (3740MHz), Press Enter, Save and Exit, Enjoy? If not, can someone PLEASE post the exact things i must do to achieve this (voltages, frequency, etc etc)?

Even if i can only get the 5% OC (3.57Ghz) on stock cooler that would be satisfactory.

Side Note: I am well aware that most will tell me to go get a badass heatsink/fan but i am really only interested in what i can do with my stock cooler. www.legionhardware.com easily ("quickly" was their words) got a 965BE to 3.57GHz on STOCK COOLER (they also said that 3.74GHz crashed at first but when they boosted the CPU voltage that it worked 100%)!

Side Question: I have also purchased 4GB (2 sticks) of DDR3 1600 (GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL). May i also get the Memory clock and timing settings to make those sticks run at the 1600 that they are supposed to (or is it also just as easy as a "1 click" in BIOS?

thx a million for reading (and sorry it was so long and (Possibly repetitive)).
Logan Todd
a b K Overclocking
September 8, 2010 10:05:04 AM

As its an unlocked multiplier processor you can set the memory multiplier to what it should be to run the ran at 1600 and just increase the CPU multiplier to raise the CPU speed. As you are on the stock cooler temps will be the limitation so run prime 95 for 10-15 mins before you start and see what temps its at 1st and check after making any changes.
m
l
!