Gigabyte UD4P with EarthWatts 430?

Can I use this none EPS power supply with this Gigabyte board? I though I read somewhere that you can plug in a 4 pin 12V line and it will still work in an 8 pin EPS slot. It only has to last a month until I can afford a new EPS PSU.

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128374

Antec EarthWatts 430
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NjQ=
11 answers Last reply
More about gigabyte ud4p earthwatts
  1. I kind of doubt that will work with an i7 - they're all a hundred and thirty watt processors (with the exception of some of the server pieces); not likely to hurt to try - PSU will likely just 'fold-back' & shut down the rail if overloaded...
  2. dvan - did you try reading your mobo manual?

bilbat's response was on target.

The manual provides a little more information:

The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.
    • Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12V power connector is recommended by the
    CPU manufacturer when using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130W).
    • To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
    • The power connectors are compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V and 2x10 power connectors. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector, remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector.
  3. Could I use something like this then?

Molex 12v to 8 pin P8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887002
  4. You can try - but, again, no guarantees - it boils down to how much 'oomph' your power supply can handle, versus how much the board and CPU need. I wouldn't want to saddle myself with a likely problem like this, though - god knows people are having enough problems with well-conceived and equipped i7 systems...
  5. IMO that board should not be used with anything lower than a EA500. Specially if you plan on doing any future upgrades....
  6. I don't know. Judging from the excerpt of the manual the 500W is necessary if all the expansion slots are filled. I would only have the 9600GT.
  7. One thing I can assure you is that you NEVER skimp on the PSU.... Most will disagree and pull out the infamous PSU calculator but I am not one of them.... I just go by common sense knowing what will be upgraded in the future and knowing that I do not have to worry about the PSU. The reason I post this is due to the fact that I was in the same spot as you, I went with a 500w PSU later on to find out that my dual card setup was a no-show due to the fact that I had skimped on the PSU in the first place.... Had to re-invest in another PSU and now I am wondering why I didn't buy the more powerful one in the first place..... It kinda sucks you can't go back in-time and get your money back...Be smart future proof your PSU and leave the worries behind.....
  8. Quote:
    Most will disagree and pull out the infamous PSU calculator but I am not one of them....

:pt1cable: while you were posting this, I was 'visiting' the infamous calculator, just to see what it'd say: ~400W

Quote:
    One thing I can assure you is that you NEVER skimp on the PSU....

Here here! There's actually two things I really want loafing in my systems, the PSU and the air handling system; I don't even look at PSUs under 750, and will probably go higher yet when I attempt my first i7 - 'ya just never know what you're eventually gonna wanna plug in there... and have nine fans in a water-cooled box! (and that's not counting the three on the radiator in the basement...)
  9. Well I just want peeps to get the most out of their PC's ... If you are low on cash and can only afford a low end PSU then I can understand completely, as I started out with a 275w PSU back in 1991.... I know what it feels like to be underpowered and not have the funds for a nice PSU. But if you can save up a lil more cash and have a lil more patience you will thank yourself in the long-run... That's all I want everyone to know.... And like I said in the long-run you end up paying more due to the fact that you have to re-invest in a more powerful PSU... So you end up with 2 PSU's instead of one...make smart decisions and you will be alright!!!!
  10. I guess it's like the old saying, except with money in place of time: "If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, where are you going to find the time to do it again?!"
  11. I agree, that is the point I want to everyone to understand.....
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Power Supplies EPS Motherboards