New full case

ke7diz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
unfortunately (so i tell my wife) my new 720be, 48701gb build is overheating in my coolmaster wave master case.
so it is time fore a new case, but i am not sheer what to get

price range $100-$150 not absolute
i am willing to go up but not to much
i will use this case fore years and then most likely give it to some one els to use, so i am willing to pay if it is worth it

have to have
i am looking fore a high quality full tower case (mid if i need to)
great cooling but quiet (at least on low settings)
got to be good looking, i like cases like antec 900, nzkt guardian and so on (also has to pass the wife check but most will)

want
i like side windows
don't want a door
would rather tooled installation (rather than bad tooless)
lots and lots of space

i have been looking at the antec 1200 but it is more expensive than i whant
xcilo windtunnel but a door and no window
antec 900 but i would prefer a full case

biuld
amd p2 720be
4gb corsair xms ddr3
asus am3 790gx
saphire 4870 1gb 9.5 in long
wd black 1tb
sata dvd drive
575w psu

+1 what theAnimal said.

I have the CoolerMaster HAF 932. Huge case with lots of room. Excellent ventilation, airflow, and cooling. You can ignore the tool free fasteners on the drive cages and screw everything in place. That's what I did.

I had to the opportunity to look at the CoolerMaster Storm Sniper at a local Fry's Electronics store. Another nice case. If the Storm Sniper had been available last August I would have bought it instead of the HAF 932.

The Antec 900 is one of the most popular pc cases with gamers and enthusiasts. I haven't seen actual sales figures but I wouldn't be surprised if it is Antec's best selling case.

And finally there is the CoolerMaster 690 which is another popular case. Several variations are available. It's a relatively quiet pc case with excellent ventilation, air flow, and cooling. it's worth looking at.

ke7diz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
i don't really like the look of the haf 932 and fore that price i would just go with the antec 1200

the storm sniper is a nice case but at that price again i would want a full tower

thanx fore the cm 690 though if i do go mid it would be between the 900 and 690

i was looking at the abs diablo (know a none techy with it) but it did feel kind of cheapy

CM RC-690 doesn't have a side window - but the NV-690 does for $25more.

Don't let the "mid" & "full" labels fool you. Look at the actual sizes. A high performance gaming mid-tower is not that much smaller than a full tower. Read some reviews to get to the features and layout (and have a close look at the case itself).

CM Storm Sniper: 22" x 10" x 21.7"
Antec Twelve Hundred: 22.9" x 8.4" x 20.2"
Antec Nine Hundred Two: 19.4" x 8.6" x 18.6"
CM NV-690: 20.7" x 8.4" x 19"

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
+1 for the Antec 1200.

Fantastic case and with all those fans (including 2 optional 120mm fans) on low, my 4870X2's fan is louder (not that it's hard... it's the bloody loud Sapphire one... really need an aftermarket cooler for it but there's so few good ones for the X2...).
Either way, very high quality case, very nice to work with, and it's so huge you don't even wish it had a removable motherboard tray.

Plus, it's roughly 2 feet tall which makes it look all the more awesome. The blue LEDs on black fin fans isn't overpoweringly bright (like in some cases that use clear fans to show off the LEDs more) and just looks classy in my opinion.

There is generally one fairly important difference between full-tower and mid-tower cases, which is that full-tower cases are somewhat deeper than mid-tower cases. The extra depth allows for the use of two or four-socket 12" x 13" extended ATX server motherboards and also the use of extended-length graphics cards. Very few gamers use multi-socket server motherboards because of the additional expense, slower memory, near-universal lack of overclocking features, and lower clock speeds. But the ability to fit extra-long GPUs may be very helpful if you want to run a GPU like a Radeon X2, one of the extra-long NVIDIA units, or any GPU with a very large heatsink like the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1. I have the mid-tower Nine Hundred with a Radeon 3850 cooled by the Arctic Cooling heatsink I mentioned and the case is just *barely* big enough. I had to remove the hard drives from the cage in front of the GPU to get it to fit, and it just barely fits anyway.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
go for the NZXT tempest!!!
looks cool.... better cooling than the guardian (as i have just read about.. grrrrr [guardian sux at cooling, unfortunately]) ...and is bigger too

and the tempest has:
2 x 120mm intake fans at front
120mm side fan
120mm back exaust
heres the best part
----> 2 x 140mm exausts fans at the top
and its not too expensive...

NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $109.99 , excluding $20.00 mail in rebate (if u bother)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146047

ke7diz

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
after reading up on the tempest it is very good and does not have any major flaws that i can see
it looking like i will go with the tempest unless i can find anything better

Fry's has the latest antec sonata version with 500w antec ps for $80 this week. It has a silver finish instead of black. It's in stores only. You can type "dallas frys ad" using your favorite search engine. It's on the 4th page of the May 22nd fry's ad.

navysealbrian

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case on Newegg, $170 after MIR. Other than a stupid cable management flaw (still workable, so long as you don't try to route a 20+4 pin), I have no problems with it.