oneof10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
As I was waiting on an RMA return for my defective XFX brand GTX 285 video card, I turned on my computer yesterday and the screen loads the ASUS logo and freezes with some garbled text at the bottom of the screen. That's it. No posts, no desktop, nothing. I have to restart to only have it do the same thing again. While my video card is out I am using an old pci video card. It has worked for the week that my new card has been out for repair, until now. Does anyone know if that might indicate mobo problems or maybe the old card could cause that? Just built my machine 3 months ago

Thanks.

oneof10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I received my refurb video card last night. Put it in and I was able to get to desktop. However, before it got to desktop, I had to reset the time and date and other custom settings in the CMOS. Does anyone know why that would happen? I am a bit confused. Doesn't seem like that should happen just by switching video cards, along with the previous problem in my original post...???

oneof10

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
No, I only swapped video cards and a wireless network card. I can't see why either of those would cause the CMOS to reset. That is why I am wondering about the health of my mobo. Before it reset, the computer wouldn't even post. Just froze at the first screen (ASUS logo.)