IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Trust me, try the onboard first. Most people cannot notice any difference between onboard, and an add-in card. That being said, you WILL NOT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE USING A 2.1 SPEAKER SET! However if you are using a 5.1 or better set (avoid Logitech speakers) you may notice a little difference. Also if you want better sound quality look to spend a bit. This one is your best bet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132006
$90 ASUS Xonar DX (Creative lost my buisness with their attempt to sue someone who wrote better drivers for their product)

+1 ^
A dedicated sound card won't improve your PC performance enough to matter, won't make 1 tiny bit of difference. When it did make a difference, that was years ago when PC's were crawling turtles compared to modern hardware.
And, the onboard sound on a modern motherboard is quite good.
You will have to spend some money and buy a fairly high end card to notice much difference, and you will have to hook it to a good set of speakers.

csm2008

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Thank for the sound card recommendation it was cheaper than I though I had to spend and may get it soon. The reason I want to get one, despite what everyone says about sound cards, is that a friend has a system similar to mine and as trouble getting GTA IV to work. Some the trouble is that the sounds goes away sometimes and I hope that getting a sound card before I get the game can help me run it on my system. I have a 3gHz intel dual core CPU and NVIDIA 9800gtx GPU by the way. Even though the game stills needs some patches I hope that a sound card can help a bit.