Sign in with
Your question

My 1st ssd

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2010 2:26:03 PM

now to be 100% honest, i dont know squat! about the hardware behind it all and to be honest...not to be rude but i could care less lol...(end user mentality i know i know )..all i know is SSDs have no moving parts and that means SUPA fast system speeds for my overall system performance...

now

my ? is this,

is it fair to say that no matter WHAT kind of SSD i get, that itll blow my current standard sata hd (70 something rpm drive) outta the water?

reason being, im planning to get my 1st and so with any tech i test/try out, depending on the price i get used sometimes, i was checking ebay and saw some 60 gigs that i guess for the price was decent.....

my range is no more than 150$.....find it hard to swallow that i can get an 1.5TB HD for like 80 bucks but a 80G ssd for like 150+ lol.
so ya....any suggestions from you guys that are in the know?
i dont need anything CRAZY, i just need to put my OS on it ( win 7 about 15-20 gigs) and my main progs to work (adobe suite etc- no more than 20 gigs)
the rest i can put on any of my 3 other internal/external drives. so id be happy with a good 80 gig ssd.

More about : 1st ssd

a c 415 G Storage
August 31, 2010 3:03:55 PM

Yeah, pretty much any SSD will blow any hard drive out of the water.

Watch out for older SSDs, though - some of them had controller issues that caused stuttering (random hangups for various periods of time). Also watch out for poor controller implementations that cause write performance to degrade over time.

The Anandtech web site has excellent reviews of SSDs. I'd advise looking there for reviews of any SSD you plan to bid on.
m
l
August 31, 2010 4:16:28 PM

AHHH OK I GOTCHA....NOW FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH IT, THE WAY I PLAN ON USING IT, IS 150 A REALISTIC AMOUNT OR???

CAPS......

overall i have internally a 250gig, a 650, and an external 1.5tb. so i dont need space lol.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
August 31, 2010 4:27:43 PM

$150 will definitely get you an SSD, the only question is how big it will be. You could probably get 60GB today or perhaps 80GB or more if you wait for new products that are likely to be announced in the fall.
m
l
September 1, 2010 10:55:17 AM

well i was thinking of something like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

can u or anyone else reccomend something similar or better based on the bad tech u were telling me about b4? in the mean time ill read the webs link u gave me see if i can semi educate myself a bit better
m
l
a b G Storage
September 1, 2010 12:31:49 PM

For SSD's, probably the most important thing to look for (besides capacity) is the controller being used. The SSD you linked is pretty good and uses the barefoot indilinx controller.

Right now, the hot SSD's to have are the SandForce controllers based hardware. For the $150 neighborhood, I would suggest you take a look at the 60GB SandForce drives.

Some examples: OCZ Vertex 2, OCZ Agility 2, G.Skill Pheonix, Corsair Force, Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe
m
l
!