Sign in with
Your question

Migrating a RAID array XP32 -> XP64

Last response: in Storage
August 31, 2010 3:03:59 PM

Hello,
I am planning on installing XP 64 on a MSI P35 NEO2 FR (ICH9R) system. The machine is currently running XP Pro with everything on the Volume0 Raid5 array. I am looking to adding a new "C:" drive with XP 64, moving the Volume0 in as a say "d:" Can I do this? The Raid is loaded with tons of photos.
a b G Storage
September 2, 2010 1:11:14 AM

If your current volume is not full, you may be better off creating a second primary partition on volume_000 so you can put "My Documents" on that partition (select My Documents, right-click, select properties, move My Documents to new partition - it'll have a drive letter). If XP fails, you won't lose your data on a reinstall. Then when you install XPx64 to the new HDD, you can re-set its "My Documents" to the same location; your documents and data remain in the RAID volume.

Whatever option you choose, please backup those files to another HDD (or other media) before you start changing things around.
m
l
September 2, 2010 2:44:43 AM

Thank you, I've got it done. I was having a problem with the INTEL ICH9R drive for XP64. The only way you can load it is the old F6 trick, but it has to come off the "A:" floppy drive. Talk about nutty, they don't even have a FDD controller on their MB....what were they thinking? Hardware<-/->Software, yikes!
m
l
a b G Storage
September 2, 2010 3:05:12 AM

You're welcome.
Next time download and install nLite, download sp2 for XPx64, and put your motherboard drivers in a folder and copy your XP installation CD to another folder on your HDD. You can then use nLite to slipstream a custom install image using the install CD folders/files, the sp2, and all your drivers including the "F6" RAID drivers (you won't need a FDD at all). Then you can burn the bootable image to a CD with nero or roxio.
m
l
!