Sign in with
Your question

High temperatures on Mobo's Third Sensor? (79c)

Tags:
  • Gigabyte
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2009 2:15:20 AM

I installed Speedfan today, because my CPU fan was going faster than normal, so I wondered if it was running hot. I got a nice surprise when I opened it:

Checked the GPU via ATI Catalyst Control Center, said it was at no more then 41.

Core is pretty obviously the CPU, Crusing fine at 29c.

So I wondered what Temp 1 and Temp 3 were... I checked the Northbridge. Put my finger on it, surprise, I didn't burst into flames. Slightly warm to the touch on the heat spreader, no real heat.

I can't put my finger on the SB. It's trapped under the GPU.

It has a portable house fan running right at the side of the case. Not a flicker in temperature on the 79c one. I turned my computer off for 15 minutes after seeing these temperatures. I turned it back on after that, booted into BIOS. It said my CPU temperature was in the 30-40's and the "System" temperature no more then 35. So I rebooted, turn it on real fast and booted up SpeedFan. It said it was 78 degrees, and then flicked up to 79. I'm now here writing this post to you guys.

I also ran it through HWMonitor:

There are apparently three temperature sensors on the motherboard, but I can only think of a spot for two? (NB & SB)
Are the tools mis-reporting an non-existant sensor, or is it a faulty sensor or?

Is it a faulty sensor, or is my mobo about to burst into flames?

Also where is the SB on this mobo?
http://hailaeros.com/ZScreen_Uploads/SS-2009.07.27-18.25.00.jpg

Cause what I"m looking at inside my case... isn't in this picture. (Comes off of newegg)

More about : high temperatures mobo sensor 79c

a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2009 8:46:26 AM

Do you notice anything unusual with your system's operation? If your southbridge was about to fry, then you'd notice something. Any issues with your USB? Power Management, etc.?
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 27, 2009 2:57:31 PM

My guess - utilities are just reading incorrectly:
1 - it's a pretty new board - April of this year
2 - it's a new LPCIO - IT8720 - most all the 'D' series boards use one or the other flavor of the IT8718x
3 - your "PC Health Status" BIOS page only lists the two GB standard temp sensors: 'Current System Temperature' & 'Current CPU Temperature'
4 - the previous LPCIOs supported five channels of temps, don't know how many the new one does, but easy to be reading an 'empty slot'

The actual location of the standard temp sensors seems to be cloaked in mystery; our best understanding is the CPU is very close to, or under the socket, and the system sensor is at the end of the (first, for boards with two) PCIe slot, near the northbridge. In theory, this is the one SYS_FAN2 is 'slaved' to...

I will try to get specs, to determine what an 'open' temp channel might read - I've wanted to for some time anyway, as I'd like to do a proportional/integral/derivative loop-controlled thermal management utility - has been stalled trying to get ESA specs from nVidia ('open standard' my petoot!) or anyone...

In the picture, the southbridge is the sink at the lower end of the RAM slots, next to the IDE connector...
Related resources
July 27, 2009 5:06:22 PM

r_manic said:
Do you notice anything unusual with your system's operation? If your southbridge was about to fry, then you'd notice something. Any issues with your USB? Power Management, etc.?

Nothing wrong. USB works fine, my headphones, mouse, and keyboard are all hooked up to the rear USB and that's fine. Computer doesn't want to sleep (Does this fall under power management?) but I think that's a Win7 issue. It shuts down, then a minute or so later wakes back up.

The temps don't budge an inch when I play Crysis on high, while Temp1/Temp2 go up a few degrees. Bout the biggest stress test I have installed here. ;) 

bilbat said:
My guess - utilities are just reading incorrectly:
1 - it's a pretty new board - April of this year
2 - it's a new LPCIO - IT8720 - most all the 'D' series boards use one or the other flavor of the IT8718x
3 - your "PC Health Status" BIOS page only lists the two GB standard temp sensors: 'Current System Temperature' & 'Current CPU Temperature'
4 - the previous LPCIOs supported five channels of temps, don't know how many the new one does, but easy to be reading an 'empty slot'

The actual location of the standard temp sensors seems to be cloaked in mystery; our best understanding is the CPU is very close to, or under the socket, and the system sensor is at the end of the (first, for boards with two) PCIe slot, near the northbridge. In theory, this is the one SYS_FAN2 is 'slaved' to...

I will try to get specs, to determine what an 'open' temp channel might read - I've wanted to for some time anyway, as I'd like to do a proportional/integral/derivative loop-controlled thermal management utility - has been stalled trying to get ESA specs from nVidia ('open standard' my petoot!) or anyone...

In the picture, the southbridge is the sink at the lower end of the RAM slots, next to the IDE connector...

Thanks!

What I was looking at was the Southbridge, it was just covered by the GPU (Radeon 4870) so it looked smaller. Went ahead and put my finger on it, didn't incinerate so it's not the southbridge. (Or the heatsink releases alot of heat really fast. ;)  )
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 28, 2009 12:39:32 AM

Did find a spec sheet, but it was pretty paltry - no real in-depth hardware info; did learn my preconception was wrong, however - I thought they had five temp channels; turns out there's only three, but they can do five fan tach monitors and three channels of PWM fan control - appears GB has been cheating us! I keep telling 'em I want a board with several thermistor headers, so I can place my own!
!