Need advice on what road to go down based on useage

brucifer1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Alrighty than.

So, I've been out of the PC game for some time. I'm not familiar with the i7's at all or what, if any, the benefit over a quad-core system would be and if that benefit would help me.

I'm trying to spec a workstation for myself since I got the Go from my boss. I run 4 monitors and use a ATI FireMV 2400 PCI card to handle that task. It sucks. I also have a habit of running a combination of anywhere from 20-40 instances of IE/Firefox/office apps/pdf/explorer/telnet/hyper term/putty/cmd/etc at a time.

I need to understand if the i7 would get me anything over a quad-core and if a quad-core would even get me anything over a dual-core. I'm limited to ordering from Dell also, and if I go i7 I have to go with vista if that makes any diffrence. I know a better graphics card (or two) would help a lot also.

Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

chjade84

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
i7 also has hyperthreading so it's "kinda" like having 8 cores... Multiple programs can use multiple cores even if they aren't designed to make use of multiple cores themselves. I mean IE can run on one core, Firefox on another, telnet on another, etc, instead of cramming all 40 instances into 2 cores you can spread them out over 4 (or 8).

Definitely get a lot of RAM if you do that much multitasking. Get Vista and wipe the hard drive as soon as you get it and put XP on it. You shouldn't run a computer with all Dell's crap on it anyway.

Do some research and maybe your boss will let you build your own based on cost savings. I convinced mine to let me build our 8 new engineering computers and saved them almost $10,000 while still getting better stuff than Dell. Although with just one computer you may not get the same results.

GL!

Edit: that $10,000 savings was back 3-4 months ago so I'm sure Dell has more choices for cheaper. Still though, you will save money doing it yourself.

brucifer1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations and information.

I'll be going for the i7 than.

The reason I'm stuck with Dell is the support. If I build them, I support them :p
also if they break we get next day repair which is tough to do for home built. The dell business stuff isn't that bad and never really has any crapware on it (besides bloated drivers/managers).

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Do NOT wipe Vista and put XP on the system. That was a fairly ignorant comment stemming from over a year ago. I would recommend getting Vista 64 which will make your transition to Windows 7 64-bit easier later this year. The easiest thing to do is to buy a second graphics card if you are running all 4 monitors independantly. You could buy a better aftermarket workstation card but those are big bucks and your usage indicated doesn't really warrant it but I obviously don't know the whole picture. ATI and nVidia both make good cards - I prefer nVidia but you are going to get ATI with Dell.

brucifer1

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008

I would be the only workstation in the org to be running Vista. That said, I doubt we will come off xp until forced. By then, I'm sure Windows 7 will be aged.

Also, a side question;
Tri-channel Ram? Is a big bang for the buck or not so much?