P6T Deluxe boot problem

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello. First off real quick - I stronly dislike Asus for producing poorly designed motherboards. So my patience with those is rather short.
Anyway. I got an offer I couldn't resist, and bought a slightly used rig two weeks ago. Didn't have time to play with it till sunday though. Installed windows and drivers, and went to update the bios. After the bios update I went into the bios and reset defaults, told it to boot from the sas drive etc, and now it won't properly boot.

I get past the post and the raid bios, but at the end of the marvell (sas controller) bios it doesn't start booting, nor can I enter the bios.
I've yet to reset the bios and see if that helps, but is that a normal thing for that board?

Rig:
p6t deluxe (first version) with newest bios
i7 920 that isn't overclocked
12gb ddr3 (1066mhz)
cheetah 150gb sas drive for boot
1tb samsung for storage
hd4890 video
bluray & dvdrw sata drives

I bought the rig as a present I need for the next weekend, so it's crucial that it keeps working when I hand it over.
Can someone tell me which problems that system might have right now? Since I just got home late yesterday I spent more time in wow than I did looking at that system, but I do know all cables etc are properly inserted even after transport, and the system seemed to work just fine until I upgraded the bios.

Edit: Runs vista home premium 64bit

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
"If it aint broke dont fix it" - bios updates usually fix specific issues, if you dont experience any than the update is not for you. Anyway, you should be able to roll back to previous bios version using the driver cd. I dont own a p6t, that was just a general thought.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

The bios update among other things addresses issues with esata and memory compatibility - and at least the first one is important to me. So I need that bios. Anyway, it's always a good idea to update the bios even if it ain't broken. I've very often seen (noticable) speed improvements with a new bios, and since an asus p2b board I haven't failed a flash.

Anyway, I meant to ask if anyone has had this very problem, or knows what causes it. Not generic pc advice.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
fu<king forum! eating my posts!

quick recap of what I have already written:
problem is solved - sata controller can only run in ide mode. if setting to ahci it'll hang when trying to initialize the bios, when set to raid it'll work, but the system can no longer see the sas drive and thus not boot windows.

new problem surfaced while ocing the memory just a tad too much. every time I try to enter a field in the bios that has to do with overclocking the bios will lock up (marking the field white, and only respond to ctrl-alt-delete). resetting cmos didn't help, reflashing didn't help. specificly ai tweaker fields and oc profile menu doesn't work. can only run at stock or overclock what little I can from windows.

Any solutions to this problem?