Sign in with
Your question

Won't post after reset. Can I isolate my problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2009 2:52:18 PM

I reset my HTPC from 30ft away (so i don't think i shocked it) and it just kind of hung there and did nothing, so i got up and pressed the reset button manually. Nothing seemed to happen, so i turned off the power supply unplugged it and it won't work anymore. The GPU fan goes to max and the hard drives don't make any sounds after they power up.

I have tried taking everything out but the GPU/Ram/Processor using on board video and it still does not work. I tried using a different power supply and no luck. I tried reseting the cmos. What did i break? My best guess is that the motherboard just broke. is there a good way to isolate the problem from here? I bought this all about a week ago, it was all running fine until this.

AMD x4 955 BE
2x2gb G.Skill DDR2 1066
Asus M4A78-EM
EVGA 8800GS
Antec Fusion Case
Corsair 550W PS
2x 160GB WD HDs in raid

Thank you for your help.
July 27, 2009 3:53:56 PM

snooze091 said:
I reset my HTPC from 30ft away (so i don't think i shocked it) and it just kind of hung there and did nothing, so i got up and pressed the reset button manually. Nothing seemed to happen, so i turned off the power supply unplugged it and it won't work anymore. The GPU fan goes to max and the hard drives don't make any sounds after they power up.

I have tried taking everything out but the GPU/Ram/Processor using on board video and it still does not work. I tried using a different power supply and no luck. I tried reseting the cmos. What did i break? My best guess is that the motherboard just broke. is there a good way to isolate the problem from here? I bought this all about a week ago, it was all running fine until this.

AMD x4 955 BE
2x2gb G.Skill DDR2 1066
Asus M4A78-EM
EVGA 8800GS
Antec Fusion Case
Corsair 550W PS
2x 160GB WD HDs in raid

Thank you for your help.

Hmm, nevermind. After working on this all night and this morning. I installed a motherboard speaker and it booted up. Didn't change anything to my knowledge.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2009 3:59:49 PM

snooze091 said:
Hmm, nevermind. After working on this all night and this morning. I installed a motherboard speaker and it booted up. Didn't change anything to my knowledge.

You must have bumped the loose SATA cable and fixed the short that was keeping the system from starting. That or your system is way to cool with MB speaker attached.
m
l
July 27, 2009 5:24:47 PM

I don't anyone cares but i did find the problem. One of the sticks of RAM is broken. When it's in first slot it won't boot, but when the other is in slot one it does boot.
m
l
!