CPU Fan Speed - Way too loud

Zacharia

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
My fan speed seems to be stuck at 100% at all times, and as a result the computer is way too loud. I've tried tweaking the speeds using the dynamic fan control option in the BIOS, but that doesn't seem to make any difference in the loudness of my system. I've also tried using SpeedFan, but that program doesn't seem to be compatible with my motherboard.

The CPU I'm using is an Intel C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz (stock clocks/voltage), running on a nForce 680i SLI motherboard. According to BIOS, my CPU temp never goes above 35 C, usually hovers around 30 C.

Is there any simple way to reduce the CPU fan speed?

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
The E6600 is an LGA775 Socket processor. As such, it probably suffers from Intel's very poorly designed heatsink/fan mounting arrangement. It is not easy to get right if you don't pay attention to the instructions and the latches are only good for a few install/uninstall operations before they fail.

If the heatsink is not held very tightly[/i] against the surface of the CPU, the CPU will tend to run very hot, causing the fan to run at insanely high speeds in an effort to compensate. You can find more info on this subject at http://www.supremelaw.org/systems/heatsinks/warning.htm

If you feel you require new latches, they can be found at http://industryeducation.com/Desktop_Heatsink-Kit_Fasteners_for_LGA775_fan_heatsinks__set_of_4_-P5904.aspx

Zacharia

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Forgot to mention that I'm using a Zalman 9700, I got rid of Intel's stock fan when I built the system.

My brother has an E6750 with the same Zalman fan, and his system is MUCH less noisy than mine. Could my motherboard be the issue? He's using a Gigabyte P35.

Zacharia

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
EVGA nForce 680i SLI, I believe it's the A1 model.

Is your friend using the physical fan controller that came with the heatsink, or is he able to adjust it using software?

TRENDING THREADS