Phenom 2 X3 720 DIFFERENT TEMPs??

Worko

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hello.

Ive got an AMD Phenom II X3 720, ASRock 790GMH/128 uATX (790GX/750SB), Radeon 4550 (passive cooling), 4GB RAM Corsair with passive cooling. Everything is installed in a Thermaltake Lanbox Lite box with one 80mm FAN in front and two 50mm in the back. I have a stock AMD FAN installed - 4 pin. My problem is, that while Im surfing the net, hear music (nothing demanding), the CPU shows 51-57C. This temp shows up in BIOS (latest 1.20), ASRockOC. When I run the Speedfan 4.38, it shows me +/- 10C degrees less (40-45C). And finaly when I run the AMD OverRide tool, than I see there about 31-38C. What is that???

I think that also 40C in almost Idle condition are to much. The target CPU temp is set to 62C. And the level of CPU Fan speed is altered by me depending of what Im doing. Cool and Quiet is ON as well.

Please, write me any possible reason or explanation so I can sleep well :)

THANX

ocre

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Not good! Those temps are too high. does your case have good airflow? Uhm did you try to reset the H.S.? is the fan spinning? Try it with the case opened to see if the air is flowing. That is high. Too high to run for what you are doin. I got my stock H.S./fan cooling my unlocked to a 4 core 720 and its running at 3.5 and my heat just barely makes it to 50c and thats after 12 hours full load prime 95. And i wont go any further until i get better cooling

Worko

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Hmm... maybe its because of the case which is mainly a HTPC box (http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/Lanbox_Lite). The airflow is pretty good. But I will try to tweak something out. Hopefully its not because of the mobo.

Thanx for every input.

Worko

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Download coretemp and speedfan and see if those temps jive with your other temps. Then you can get a feel for which ones are right.

OK, I did everything neccessary and here are the measured results:

a) ASRoCK OC Tuner 2.2.1 = 54C

b) Speedfan = 50C

c) Core Temp 0.99.4 = 40C

d) AMD OverDrive = 40C

The FAN spins around 1900rpms (Level 1 target FAN speed), according to ASRock OC Tuner. So the TEMPS are different and too high. The last step I will try, is to clean the sink and CPU from thermal paste and apply the paste second time. Maybe I did one mistake: the stock sink had a little thermalpaste-film applied like they usually do. And dispite of that I applied the AC MX-2 paste on the CPU surface.

Any suggestions are welcome.

jennyh

Splendid
It sounds a lot like a serious case temp problem.

If you have one of those cases with a mesh side or fan attachment, plug a fan in there to draw the heat out sideways. Otherwise just use your hands to feel around the inside of your case while it's running (don't touch anything :p) and you can usually tell pretty easily where the problem is coming from, ie poor airflow at the front of the case or near the graphics card etc.