TerminatorXT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
As many of you know Asus sends out some regular motherboards and some ROG ( Republic of Gamers ) Motherboards
the only difference between the motherboards is that ROG has more Overclocking capabilities

Is paying $100 extra for ROG really necessary if you want to overclock?

Well i have ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA,and when i wanted to buy it,ASUS P5E was availabe which had the same specs,the only difference between them (in layout) was that ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA had a LCD poster,i went for the MAXIMUS FORMULA not only because of the LCD poster,in the reviews i read that usually ROG series OC better so i went for it and i am very happy with how it performs ,i managed to OC my Q6600 to 3.4 with 1.425 voltage too :) (didn't try for more :D )

$100 can be spent on upgrading your CPU and/or graphics card.

You want the most bang for the buck on your TOTAL system. They are likely using higher quality parts (such as capacitors) so your system will last longer too but it boils down to personal preference and how much you want to spend.

Unless you are building a really high-end system, why spend the money to overclock lower performing parts when you can simply invest the extra $100 in better components?

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
+1^

Its all about balance. The "better overclocking" mobos usually can reach higher FSB frequencies, but if the CPU you plan to buy cannot reach fsb 400 than having mobo capable of running FSB 550 isnt going to change anything. Im pretty certain that Maziar`s q6600 would reach the same 3.4ghz on my lowly p5q pro. IMHO, apart from gaming mice, anything that carries "gaming" in their name, be it mobo ram or whatever, is in a way a con.

Sorry :D i didn't see the last sentence,if the price difference is $100 then no,its not worth it,as posters above said u can use that to upgrade other components.
For me the price difference was $20 so i went for the ROG model

TRENDING THREADS