nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I have a 250W power supply with a 20 pin connector. I just purchased a new mobo, and it needs a 24 pin connector. I know there are converter cables, but I didnt know if they were good to use, or if I should just buy a new power supply? Im on a very low budget, and prefer cheapest effective method. In addition, what type of store would sell these things? I need it within a day or two, and dont want to have to use the internet.

Any and all help will be appreciated,
CHAD

Update. I had read that you can use the 20 pin in the 24 pin, and left the appropriate pins open, but when the computer turned on, I received the Blue Screen saying windows shut down to prevent damage.

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
The manual (which I just read. :D ) says that i can use the 20 pin. Should work fine. I think it may be the power requirements, but im still reading. If anyone learns anything, please say so.

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
The board is A74MX Foxconn. Additionally, I had the same hard drive in a different computer, and windows is still on it. do I need to format and reinstall to get things working? just brainstorming here, as i have no idea what im doing. :D

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

Im not sure what you mean? The power supply came in a Gateway 3310, and the mobo is new, and processor is new. Not using any video or sound adapters, and hard drive is PATA style rather than SATA if thats an issue

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
been reading about BSOD, and my error is:

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE 0x0000007B

The hard drive worked fine before the new mobo and processor. Unfortunately, I cant use the disk drive on that computer, so I cant boot from the windows disk to re-install or run the chkdsk thing. Any ideas?

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
the DVD drive, or CD drive, or whatever, will not plug into the MB. Different amount of pins on the cable than whats on the MB. And all I did was leave the hard drive in the case when i switched the MB and CPU. didnt know that wouldnt work. how can i make this thing run?

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009

please clarify "see"

A black screen comes up now and then saying Windows was shut down wrong, what would you like to do? Then it gives options like Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode, etc. So as far as I can tell, it knows I have windows, so it HAS to be seeing the hard drive no? And it doesnt matter which of those options, its same thing every time, blue screen of death.

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Before Windows even begins to start you enter the computer's BIOS or Setup screen. Typically, several seconds after you hit power on, your PC will emit a single beep; at that point, you press a key to enter setup - usually the DELete or F2 keys, depending on motherboard manufacturer.

Once in the BIOS (or "Setup" screen), you should be able to find a display indicating the amount of installed memory as well as all drives (floppy/CD/DVD/HDD).

Don't go mucking about in there, by the way. After you have seen what you want be sure to do an "Exit without saving changes"

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Problem solved. Motherboard only has one IDE slot, and I need to reinstall windows. Ill have to get a SATA HD and then plug the CD drive in the IDE slot and use that to reinstall windows. Thanks for trying to help me guys, sorry I didnt give you much to work with.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You can use two IDE devices on one IDE port. Depending on the cable, they may need to be set to 'master' and 'slave'. Newer cables should allow 'cable select' for both.

nvchad2

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
Yea, I would have tried that, but the board has 4 SATA plugs, so I figured I better just get what the board wants instead of fighting to use old stuff. In addition, after I reinstalled Windows, the computer worked fine, but the CD Drive wouldnt work. I could explore it and look at the files, but I couldnt open anything. Took the computer to my gf's Uncle (Computer Repair Technician) and even he had no idea. We just replaced the IDE cable and CD drive and it worked. But I dont think the old drive was bad, or how could I have used it to install Windows?