Got a new cooler, see the temps, should I OC?

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Ok, heres the deal. My aging c2d rig e4300@ 1.8ghz is showing its age now. The idle temps were around 57 degrees with the intel hsf. I got a cooler master tx3 now. The idle temps have gone down to 46 temps. I think its still a lil hot? With load it now goes to around 65 degrees. My case airflow is good......very good because my 4670 idles at 33 degrees and load max temps are 50 degrees. I think that 1.8ghz speed is a severe slowdown factor. I want to OC, but i want to know.....is it going to safe if atall possible? What is the reason for such high temps? Room temps in my place are around 30. HELP!!!!!!!

Solution

It's going to slow you down on most modern games. I say save your money and get a cheap athlon X3 and mobo.

If you have DDR2 RAM, get a DDR2 mobo so you don't spend too much money. DDR3 is better but not by much.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
65 is a bit hot as the recommended max temps for the chip is around 61. You didn't mention the load temps before you replaced the cooler so it's hard to say what is wrong.

The idle temps are about right since you said that your room temps are at around 30.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Load temps with the stock hsf were 80 degrees.With prime 95 for 30 mins it now went to 72 degrees. But yeah in general the load temps are around 65 degrees.
@jaspreetsinghbabbra
Yeah the i did thermal paste and all. Arent the phenom IIs suppose to run cooler than c2ds? Dunno whats wrong. :( Think I should reseat the fan?

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The temps did go down after you installed the new cooler so I think it was installed correctly. The Idle temps are about 10 more than ambient (room) temp which is about right. I think that your room is a bit hot though. Is it due to your location?

The CM Hyper TX3 is a decent cooler. May I ask what's the fan's rpm during load?

Basically at this point I don't recommend OCing it unless you can do something about the temps.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, I think its the room temps. I am from India, so I dunno how I can lower ambient temps. Dont have much money to get an AC just for the computer. So, am I stuck? How severe is that 1.8ghz bottleneck on my games? :(

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

It's going to slow you down on most modern games. I say save your money and get a cheap athlon X3 and mobo.

If you have DDR2 RAM, get a DDR2 mobo so you don't spend too much money. DDR3 is better but not by much.

Solution