CD Player slows down PC

ivanfbf

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Hello,

Every time a play a CD my computer slows down. If I change tabs in my browser the song freezes (as well as my PC) and then it comes back. My CD drive, a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C SCSI CdRom Device is almost new.

I have Windows 7 with an AMD Sempron 2800+ and 3 GB of RAM.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
hold control, shift and esc. check out the processes tab. sort by cpu (by clicking on the word cpu). now make it freeze up. see what gets the largest number in that collum. thats likely the problem.

and keep in mind that windows isnt like linux, it doesnt like to be running a long time. nor does it do well years after its been installed. i generally sum this up with "the longer windows runs the less reliable it gets". anyways it might simply be time to reinstall windows. thats an old processor so im betting your OS install is pretty old too.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Especially if this is in the windows 7 category, windows 7 would eat your single core alive with playing a cd through windows media player. Unless you had one thats higher than 3.0 ghz then your gonna have lag. Try winamp lite and see if that solves it.

The problem is your OS is a bit too heavy for an old single core CPU. It could also be a lack of available RAM (the slow down could be the system using the page file). Depending on your board you may be able to put in 3GB and if you are using less than 2GB we certainly recommend adding some RAM.

Ah, I see you have 3GB of RAM. Hm.... o.k so that's not it. I'd say try and cut down on the number of running processes. If you have some kind of anti virus that could also be slowing you down. I use microsofts antivirus on my XP installs and it can slow down alot of stuff on my older dual core laptop (it can be painfull on my old P3 laptop).

ivanfbf

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Thank you all for the answers. I'm using Winamp, Avira AntiVir Personal and it is a DVD burner indeed. I'm just confused because I have always played CDs on even older systems with no problems...

Than you all again